• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super nade was absolutely correct

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdrash

Senior Member, Benching Team Member
ASUS A8V Deluxe (rev 2.0) does no like EDIT-> G.Skill LE ram = TCCD. Although I can easily run 2-2-2-5 at DDR400, I have great difficulty getting above 220mhz. So don't throw your money away on G.Skill if you own a ASUS A8V.

Last edited:
Not saying yes or no on that post...have not seen anything or heard from any skills rep that says they are not compatible...

but have you tried contacting Skills support?...and how long have you had them and what have you tried so far?...

With me and a quite a few other skill owners...it took a week or two to get them running stable with high HTT's...

Also if you havent contacted Skills support and got a firm reply on this allegation...then please dont assume...

glock....

i was basing my statement on a post by supernade....he quoted a G.Skill rep, I haven't lost hope yet.....I am going to give these sticks a chance to burn in and then see what they will do...my post was just first impression

time will tell. I wasn't trying to Dis G.Skill

my appologies to all

:argue: OOPS!

I jumped the gun with my statement about G.Skill ram with ASUS A8V motherboards.....After considering what Glock said above, I think he is correct and I need give these sticks some more time...so don't take my statement as gospel.

Give me some time to play with these sticks to see if they will warm up to my motherboard.....

Mate, you will be surprised with these results !!!!

1. The DDR Booster works with this MoBo! I'm at 3.0V ATM. I'll push for 3.2 after typing this post.

2. You can run dual channel with only the Black Slots i.e A2 and B2 populated!!!I'm running the booster on slot A1 (Blue). Currently using Mushkin Lvl II Black.

3.This board absolutely hates TCCD. I challenge somebody to break 255 HTT with any timings any voltage. I tried 3.0V with my PDP and it rebooted in 25 sec. Understandable since TCCD hates volts. But that doesn't explain my earlier experience with TCCD.

Rdrash, You'll be lucky if you even break 255 with 3-4-4-10-2T timings.
Plus this board hates CAS 3.0 for some odd reason.

I'm performing a massive update to my sticky with my results with the booster and with the RAM slot juggling. Watch out for that.

Glock:
I was in touch with Jack regarding this. Read here:-
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3265278&postcount=2

Also, I'm in touch with Lai William@PDP and apparantly they seem to be having a bit of an issue as well.

Last edited:
ROGER that supernade

I'll check your notes again.

In fairnessI will give the G.Skills 3 weeks of my time before deciding if I want to keep them or go back to my Geil.

I am happy to hear that the DDR booster will work, previously everything I read said DDR booster would not work in this mobo...great news, may have to get one of those :)

About DDR Booster, I thought we knew it would *run* but it wouldn't go past 3.0 v, as our hardware has a safety cutoff?

rdrash said:
ROGER that supernade

I'll check your notes again.

In fairnessI will give the G.Skills 3 weeks of my time before deciding if I want to keep them or go back to my Geil.

I am happy to hear that the DDR booster will work, previously everything I read said DDR booster would not work in this mobo...great news, may have to get one of those :)

Don't get one yet till I test to see if it would exceed 3.0V!
I've given my PDP more than a month. My burn in was pretty rigrous as well.

1.Super Pi 32M runs (twice)
2.Prime Blend >14 hrs
3.Memtest 24 hrs, 12 hrs, 9 hrs on three consecutive days.
4.Gamed at 800 x 600 > 2 hours (this counts less)
5.Right mark memory analyzer burn in.

I hate to discourage you here, but its better to be aware of all the surrounding issues before you get your hopes up.

Keep me posted mate!

Thanks Super...first time I have heard or seen of this issue...

Nice, now that you have 2 confirmations from 2 different companys stating that it is a TCCD problem and not one certain maker...

But that first post should be now...hates TCCD ;)...not just one certain maker ;)

lol Glock,
I see you love your GSkill (I've seen your superb benchies BTW) :)
I posted about this earlier but it didn't recieve much attention.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=362952

Elif and RdRash:
I'm at 3.1V now :D. The OVP feature is actually a voltage regulator issue. A certain VR pulls the voltage down to 3.0V or 3.1V (the exact number is unpredictable). I turned the pot almost fully across but there was no change. I'm pretty confident about the VR thing because I clearly see the booster jump to 3.5 and even 3.7V, but in about 1 second, the VR takes over and drags the voltage down to 3.0 or 3.1 V. There is a sweet spot at which the voltage remains at 3.1V (a slight turn by say 60 degrees does it).Anything more or less keeps it at 3.0V. Now it remains to be seen if I can isolate the offending VR and possibly bypass it with a switch. I'll look into existing Volt Mods and see if it will work. Its going to take a while as this requires a lot of spare time.

ATM I've ditched the TCCD for some Muskin Level 2 Black. Here are the unoptimized settings. I have to check for stability too. A quick run of Memtest #5 did well so I'm quite optimistic. Before this, I used to get gazillion errors on test #5 (at 99% completion).

What a way to enter the weekend :beer:

Attachments

• 3.1V Mushkin DC Black slots.JPG
    3.1V Mushkin DC Black slots.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 464
Actually I would of stated that about any maker if it was strickly a TCCD based issue like it is with the A8V Deluxe ;)...

And that is one thing I do like about my Skills...I can run the same settings at 250 1:1 as I can at 275 1:1 ;)...

glock19owner said:
But that first post should be now...hates TCCD ;)...not just one certain maker ;)

Point taken, and you are correct....it should read TCCD not G.Skill

Super Nade said:
Any updates mate?

currently doing 2-2-2-5 at 210 FSB with 2.8 volts, CPU multi is default 12x, 1000 for HT, cpu volts at 1.55, AGP volts 1.6 (3 days rock solid thus far at 2520). Motherboard/CPU did not like it when I dropped the Ht to 800 or lower so had to stay at 1000(quite strange). Temps are ok (not great), 36C at idel (22C~25C case) and 40~41C under load.

I am going very slow with the testing. I will slowly increase the FSB and when I find problems I will loosen timings on ram and then test again for stability.

This will take a long while (estimate 3 weeks) because I want to make sure.

Great!

In other related news, I'm sending my PDP's to Lai William@PDP (they got a new A8V just for this) for testing and possible replacement. This will tell me for sure if its my modules, all pdp modules, all TCCD Modules or All ASUS MoBo's :)

Back