• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Ret Sticky]Overclocking sndbx for A64 939 systems with Winchester, Opteron dual core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hitechjb1 said:
Update:

3DMark01 and SuperPI 1M 30 sec at 2.85 GHz

Prime95 tested stably at 2.73 GHz for 11+ hours. Temperature 23 C idle, 38 load (user aborted)

is that with 1T or 2T? have you tried sciencemark? run only MemBench in sciencemark or other latency test to test latency for L1,L2,Ram and bandwidth. btw,use 1T and keep the ram bios timing the same for different cpu/ram speed or with ram dividers.

http://www.sciencemark.org/download.html

Adrayic said:
Shuiends - fire it up and test it out. Keep us posted - I would like to know how the newer Winnie's OC :)

-Adrayic

Sorry I cant fire it up yet as I dont have a 939 board yet. I am debating on buying an ultra-d now or waiting for the sli-dr to come back in stock at stores. I think ill be waiting for the SLI-DR so it might be a while tell I can test my chip. Tell then its sitting on my kitchen table.

piotrr said:
Not to question a fellow - and obviously systematic - overclocker, but have you experimented with relatively LOW voltages? My very first experience of Winchester overclocking was that I overestimated the requried voltages and had much better success once I cut back a little on VCore.

I know, I know, it's almost an automatic impulse to raise speed, cooling and voltages, but hold back on voltages a little and at least I discovered better stability (and thus higher OC) when I didn't raise voltages as much as my heart told me to. I reach 2500MHz at 1.36V.

The 90nm A64 is a beautiful beast.

Welcome to the forums.

It is OK to question my posts which can be incomplete, not clear or erroreous.

It is correct that bare minimum voltage should be used, especially at maximal overclocking. This is why.

Bare minimum voltage at maximal overclocking

Voltage, frequency and temperature are the three key variables in overclocking. There is a delicate, natural balance between them at maximal overclocking.

In general, higher voltage provides higher transistor switching current (active current), hence shorter logic gate delay so that a faster clock can be used.

But higher voltage leads to higher active power (C V^2 f) and higher leakage current and power (I^2 R), hence resulting in higher temperature, where V is voltage, f is frequency, I is leakage current, C and R are respectively equivalent capacitance and resistance to model active power and leakage power. Higher temperature slows down the chip due to decrease in electron mobility, and higher leakage current and power which further lead to temperature increase.

So when voltage V is increased to substain certain frequency f, at the beginning of overclocking it is usually easily achievable. When the system reaches certain point of overclocking, equilibrium occurs and further increase in voltage will result in higher temperature which will counteract further increase in frequency due to lowering of electron mobility and even faster rate of increase in leakage current and leakage power over voltage (leading to postive feedback and run-away temperature). Overclocking has then reached the limit for a given cooling. In order to clock higher, better cooling is needed to further contain the temperature, so further speed can be increased.

So when overclocking is far from its maximum, voltage that is higher than what is needed does not matter. But when it is close to the maximal overclocking, bare minimum voltage that is just sufficient to substain the CPU speed should be used. Otherwise the extra "wasteful" or "overly applied" voltage may even diminish an otherwise better overclocking result (frequency). There are many cases, at time, one will see that by reduceing an overly applied voltage, say by a small step, the system stability improve and may even be able to clock slightly higher.

Ref:
hitechjb1 said:
Voltage, temperature and frequency: the basic variables of overclcoking

Voltage, temperature and frequency are the three basic variables for overclocking. These posts describe the relationship between them, using Tbred B/Barton as examples. The underlying concepts can be applied to other silicon type of CPU's and chips.

The effect of voltages on frequency and failure time are also discussed.

CPU voltage: from stock to max absolute, from efficient overclocking to diminishing return (page 19)

On CPU life expectancy and the tradeoff with voltage and frequency (page 19)

What is an ideal and safe temperature for overclocking (page 19)

Why high voltage is needed to run higher CPU frequency (and maybe higher FSB) (page 20)

Relationship between CPU frequency and temperature (page 20)

Last edited:
hitechjb1, u know too damn much to be hanging around forums, lol, wait, no u don't, stay

anyway, so, either way, cooling is key, right? as if ur cooling is good enough, voltage almost becomes a non-figure in the equation, say if you're using vapochill.....

or even at those extreme low temps, is it still a large factor?

Molester said:
hitechjb1, u know too damn much to be hanging around forums, lol, wait, no u don't, stay

anyway, so, either way, cooling is key, right? as if ur cooling is good enough, voltage almost becomes a non-figure in the equation, say if you're using vapochill.....

or even at those extreme low temps, is it still a large factor?

How low temperature improves overclocking

Under extreme cooling, the relationship between voltage, temperature and frequency still exist and described by the same equations. But the chips are operating at a different operating point, i.e. much lower temperature, e.g. -40 C vs 40 C on air.

At much lower temperature, say sub-zero temperature (C), chips can run faster for the same voltage as electron mobility increases. Higher voltage is still needed to supply higher active power to run the chips at higher frequency, hence temperature would still rise as voltage increases. The sub-threshold leakage current (or OFF current) decreases by orders of magnitude, so the heating due to leakage current and power are less susceptible to voltage increase. For 90 nm and beyond, the gated leakage due in tunneling through thin gate oxide can no longer be neglected and it contributes to leakage power which can heat up the chips.

To summarize, at sub-zero temperature (C), the chips run faster due to increase in electron mobility, the leakage power and the heat up rate vs voltage are much less and better contained, for the same voltage increase, than running the chips using air cooling due to the lower sub-threshold leakage.

PS: Sub-threshold leakage is reduced at low temperature

When temperature is lowered, the thresold voltage of transistors increases. Since sub-threshold leakage current decreases exponentially as threshold voltage increases, hence sub-threshold leakage current can be made orders of magnitude lower when a chip is operating at certain low temperature. Sub-threshold leakage current is also called OFF current, i.e. the current through the source-drain of a transistor even when the gate to source voltage is below threshold voltage. Hence the heat up due to the sub-threshold leakage current is much reduced and is better contained below certain low temperature for the same voltage increase.

The other leakage current due to gate tunneling still remains at lower temperature.

Last edited:
Molestar

You would think that increasing voltage would only help so much... there must come a point where sub-threshold leakage (leakage current flowing through the transistor when it is supposed to be turned off) becomes a marjor problem. Each time you increase the Vcor you get closer to the transistors threshold voltage (voltage required to cause current to flow) which means that more and more current will leak out when the transistor is supposed to be "off". Thus, you would think that increasing the voltage would only help so much before too much current is lost and efficiency starts to plummet.

This is a oversimplified explanation... Perhaps hitechjb can shed more light.

Question - are the smaller process chips (90nm) more sensitive to voltage increases. Intuitively I would guess that they are due to the fact that the walls of the transistor's are thinner - meaning that sub-threshold leakage would be more evident as voltage increases. Could somebody verify this?

-Adrayic

weird, i posted a reply and there was already an answer to my question. Your too quick Hitechjb :)

The sub-threshold leakage current decreases by orders of magnitude, so the heating due to leakage current and power are less susceptible to voltage increase

Can you explain that? Seems counter-intuitive. How could there be a lower sub-threshold leakage with an increased voltage...???

-Adrayic

Last edited:
Adrayic said:
Can you explain that? Seems counter-intuitive. How could there be a lower sub-threshold leakage with an increased voltage...???

-Adrayic

When temperature is lowered, the thresold voltage of transistors increases. Since sub-threshold leakage current decreases exponentially as threshold voltage increases, hence sub-threshold leakage current can be made orders of magnitude lower when a chip is operating at certain low temperature. Sub-threshold leakage current is also called OFF current, i.e. the current through the source-drain of a transistor even when the gate to source voltage is below threshold voltage. Hence the heat up due to the sub-threshold leakage current is much reduced and is better contained below certain low temperature for the same voltage increase.

The other leakage current due to gate tunneling still remains at lower temperature.

TimoneX said:
The better samples seem to hit 2.5Ghz with default voltage or slightly lower, but it seems to take relatively large voltage increases to gain much beyond that and keep things completely stable.

Yep. That is my chip exactly. I can do 2.53 or so with stock voltage and be 100 percent stable. But if I wanna go 2.6 (293fsb or more) it takes at least 1.65v or she wont post at all. I would be really interested to see if a NF4 would help my problem.

BTW good job on your 3000+ hitechjb1. Perhaps if I get a DFI board any time soon I could let you borrow my NF3 to do some experimenting to see the difference between the 2 and put an end to many questions.

Anyone wanna buy a 9700 Pro. :)

At lower temps, transistors can work faster. This allows higher clocks- actually it is quite easy ;)
Our clock-based PUs have this as the biggest disadvantage...

j3lly said:
is that with 1T or 2T? have you tried sciencemark? run only MemBench in sciencemark or other latency test to test latency for L1,L2,Ram and bandwidth. btw,use 1T and keep the ram bios timing the same for different cpu/ram speed or with ram dividers.

http://www.sciencemark.org/download.html

In all the previous tests posted, 1T is used since the CPU and memory can run 1T up to 320+ MHz.

Last edited:
ScienceMark 2.0

Here comes the Science Mark 2.0 benchmark results for
- CPU 2.85 GHz 1.55 V, memory 2.5-4-4-8 1T 2.8 V (all tests)
- CPU 2.85 GHz 1.55 V, memory 2.5-3-3-7 1T 2.8 V (only for membench)
- CPU 2.73 GHz 1.52 V, memory 2.5-3-3-7 1T 2.8 V (all tests)

There are a series of screen shots for the test results.
Summary of results is in a post after the screen shots.

Results not analysed (yet), just raw results, comments welcome.

Last edited:
ScienceMark 2.0 Membench

CPU 2.85 GHz, memory 317 MHz 2.5-4-4-8 1T

nf4_939_cbbhd_sciencemark2.0_317x9_membench.JPG

nf4_939_cbbhd_sciencemark2.0_317x9_L1bw.JPG

nf4_939_cbbhd_sciencemark2.0_317x9_L2bw.JPG

nf4_939_cbbhd_sciencemark2.0_317x9_memorybw.JPG

Last edited:
ScienceMark 2.0 Membench

CPU 2.85 GHz, memory 317 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 1T

nf4_939_cbbhd_sciencemark2.0_317x9_2.5-3-3-7_membench.JPG

nf4_939_cbbhd_sciencemark2.0_317x9_2.5-3-3-7_L1bw.JPG