• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA HD w/o Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pipsquek

Registered
Hello. I post all over the place asking questions before I buy. Im looking to get an A8V Deluxe, FX-53 CPU and WD Raptor SATA 10000RPM HD. Im wondering if I can hook up the SATA hard drive by itself or do I need 2 of the same drive. I dont really need RAID I dont think. Im just looking to get the full potential out of the one SATA hard drive. That possible? :)

Yes you can use one (1) SATA drive without using RAID. You will still need to use a floppy drive to install the OS, the install procedure requires that you have the SATA drivers on the floppy.

oh

well the setup he is thinking of is exactly the setup that i just ordered and put together the problem is when i try and install windows it dont see my sata drive and it asks for a floppy with the drivers on it and like my mobo didnt come with and floppies and the manual says nothing about any of this i went to website but that just confused me even more im just really confused someone please help me AAARGH!!!

Go here , download the 378ata_ file and put it on the floppy.I would also chech the rest of the driver and bios versions as well to be sure you have the latest ones available.

im sorry dude im lookin at this list
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A8V Deluxe
and i still cant figure out what im supposed to download i see like 4 things with 378 in their filename

oh and also once i have the right one downloaded then what do i do ? unzip it onto the floppy? put the .zip onto the floppy? or go into it and select a few files out of the .zip to put on the floppy?

Last edited:
So, you guys are saying you need to boot up using the raid disks? I have the same HD and I never installed raid drivers. Did I do it wrong? I just plugged it in and started going.

im trying to figuure out how to install windows to my raptor becasue windows setup doesnt see sata drives unless you give it a driver ona floppy and i dont know what driver to put ona floppy and no one has told me yet and im kinda getting anxious i want to see windows on this thing

Here is the sata driver for the A8V there is a file in there when you extract it to your desktop that says make disk, plug it into your floppy drive click that and it should make the disk for you. Install your mobo, cpu etc... plug in your Windows OS disk and it should ask you for the drivers for your SATA hard drive, then is when you put in the floppy disk with the above driver. Correct me if I am wrong :)

ok so i did exactly what the person in the last post said to do and now windows sstup says i have chosen to create a scsi drive and shows a list of drivers for different Os's we picked xp driver and it said it installed and said it was installed and then it just took us back to a message we have seen before that said windows does not see that we have any hard drives

AAHHH :bang head whats wrong? !!!!!

It was an idea notice the should's in there :) I havent done it myself but will be soon enough. Guess I was wrong. Maybe check the pins on the back of the HD and see if its set correctly. Hope we get it sorted out I will be doing this soon :D

so do i or should i say we since both of us have posted on here using this account so yea still no idea cant think of much else to do at this point

To both of you:
  1. Is there power to the SATA HDD?
  2. Is the HDD detected in the SATA BIOS?
  3. What is the BOOT SEQUENCE?
There are no Master/Slave Pins on a SATA HDD.

slashpract - The next time you have a problem with your system make sure to start your own thread. Since the both of you seem to be still learning how to setup similar rigs we may continue here but next time do not do this.

i did start my own thread and they sent me here told me to join this one therefore i did. and yes everything is plugged in right. i have tried several different boot sequences. there are only 3 things to choose from the sata drive 1, floppy, and dvd-rw. ive tried all configs of that basically none have worked. im reluctantly trying to install windows onto an ide and then maybe transfering windows to the sata i dk if this will work and im even having problems installing windows i keep getting video mode not supported then blue screen of death dumping of physical memory

Edit: could there be some hardware problems because i cant even install windows on a regular ide i am stuck out of ideas thanks for the help

Last edited:
fixed problem bad floppy drive made us think that the make disk we used was incorrect.
morals learned
1.) old floppy drives suck
2.) buy new floppy drives they are still valuable
3.) dont work on a computer for 16 hours straight(you will go fruity)
4.) Don't lose your only phillips head screw driver
5.) Everyone's take on a situation is valuable

Back