• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVDRW Single Layer to Dual Layer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
I purchased a Lite-On DVDRW± SOHW-812S in my country a month ago costing me about $120.00USD. All the DVDRW± drives are still very expensive here and Dual Layer models cost upwards of $200.00USD. To me a mod to make my drive more capable will save me money and that is always a good thing. Also the fact that certain Sony units made by Lite-On that were Single Layer burners were announced officially at the Sony website to have Dual Layer Burning capability by a firmware upgrade.

Lite-On SOHW 812S
812S.gif

The Lite-On DVDRW± SOHW-832S is the next model up from my drive and after reading a few how to articles in the past about the 401S being converted to a 411S, Single Format to Dual Format (+ to ±), I was optimistic that it could be possible to upgrade my drive thru a firmware flash. A little more researching and I found CD FREAKS, THE CODEGUYS, dhc014's Firmware Page and The Firmware Page.

The sites I linked to above will hold information if your drive is a possible candidate for the intended mod, the guide posted here will be mainly for Lite-On drives.

To be able to do this mod you will be need a few things:
  • A unscrambled copy of your current firmware that you are happy with, a fall back option
  • A copy of the dual layer firmware, download a unscrambled version from the CodeGuys
  • The latest OmniPatcher (CodeGuys)
  • DVD RPC Utility for Lite-On drives (LTNRPC.exe)

The Procedure is as follows:
  1. Run the LTNRPC.exe to convert your drive to RPC1 capable then reboot
  2. Run the Unscrambled Dual Layer Capable Firmware thru OmniPatcher and enable your desired mods, if working with a stock firmware always make sure to enable the FIX THE “DEAD DRIVE BLINK”/ENABLE CROSS-FLASHING

OmniPatcher
    OP.gif

3. Save your new firmware to a different directory and prepare to flash your drive’s firmware, shut down all unnecessary applications that may cause problems doing the flash procedure
  4. Flash your drive and be patient for it to finish, if by any chance the procedure is halted before it has completed you will have a dead drive.
  5. Reboot your system then let Windows auto detect your “new” drive and you’re done.

The OmniPatcher read me file has explanations for what each features does. I strongly suggest that you read them carefully before making any changes.

Nero Info Tool
NITDL.gif

Nero Ultra Edition 6.3.1.25 note the increased data capacity
NERO.gif

I prefer to use the firmware updates that have the actual *.BIN and flash utility in one executable as this makes it easier when flashing since you don’t have to “point” the *.BIN file. It also cuts down on the number of utilities that you need. When opening a FIRMWARE001.EXE with OmniPatcher and enabling the desired options, when it saves your work it will also save it as FIRMWARE00X.EXE so you just have to run that single executable when flashing. Although I did use the unscrambled DR8VS0A.EXE to show how OmniPatcher works I actually use a customized firmware developed by the CodeGuys for my drive which offer better write quality.

The information here is meant only to show that the mod is possible and does not encourage any form of illegal use. The writer of this post, Overclockers.com, Overclockers Forums and any sources linked to or mentioned are not responsible for any damages that may result in following this guide. This will void your warranty.

Last edited:
Where do you find the DVD RPC utility?

Don't answer, I found it.

Last edited:
Back