• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My mini gaming PC- (my first fully modded rig) *56k warning*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

Well I figured it’s about time to make a thread about my latest rig which is also my first real modding project. It’s a very, very long story of how I decided to build it but I figure it might be entertaining for you to hear it. I may skip a few steps because I don’t remember everything I did.

It all starting last year after IMIC ’03 (International Music Institute at Coolfont-check www.Coolfont.com) One of my friends brought his PS2 along and needless to say we had a lot of fun with it. But I was quite annoyed at the 5 inch or so screen and many other aspects. In other words, I can provide a better distraction.

My first idea was an arcade cabinet. Yes….an arcade cabinet. I was actually quite serious and convinced that I could build and bring an arcade cabinet to camp. Eventually I got the dimensions of a Tekken 2 machine and first started out by building the control panel. That’s as far as I got. :-( Shortly after I finished I lost the measurements and I was left with just my finished control panel, which works perfectly by the way. (maybe I’ll post some pics)

After that I was pretty much enlightened and figured out there’d be no way anyway to take an arcade cab. Then I decided to bring my gaming rig (big aluminum Chieftec case, BTW whatever happened to Chieftec?) Eventually I sort of got the idea that that wouldn’t work to well either, so I figured out I’d have to make it smaller still. I didn’t want to get a laptop because I can’t build one of those. So the next option was to make something as small as a laptop, if that’s at all possible. So the work began (maybe in April or so) , a little late but I still had time until July.

I collected many, many parts and went by the saying “I don’t buy when I need, I buy when it’s cheap.” Thus I ended up with 6 lappy drives, 5 sticks of BH5, and many other "useless" things.

After much revising of the parts I decided on these parts>

Mobo: Biostar M7NCG 400 w/ NF2 IGP (it works just fine)
CPU: 1700+ DUT3C (only $40)
HSF: Thermaltake Volcano 10+ (nothing else would fit and give the same performance other than perhaps a sawed off SLK something)
HDD: 40GB lappy drive (out of 6 choices 3x 10, 20, 30, and 40)
RAM: Just took 2 of the "useless" 5 sticks of BH5
CD drives: First I had a lappy CD-RW/DVD-Rom, and then it didn’t want to read my DVD+Rs so I got a DVD-Rom drive and somehow I managed to fit both in.
PSU: 200 watt Shuttle XPC
PSX port
Fellowes Stowaway keyboard
Monitor: Samsung 710T (a little bit overkill I know)
And a heck of a lot of accessories

If I missed anything let me know.

I started out by making use of one of the countless boxes lying around which things were shipped in.

01.jpg

(compare size to bottle ;))
02.jpg

For the most part I think I could fit everything……or not

03.jpg

I worked everything around like a puzzle and figured I’d need to do a lot of mods. One of the first things to go was the passive northbridge sink. Not only was it too tall but it wasn’t going to adequately cool the chip. Especially with that stuff that it was stuck on with. I wish I had a picture of it, the resemblance between it and bubble gum was uncanny. The two choices for replacements were either a Vantec copper chipset cooler, or something a little more heavy duty. A Vantec Iceberq4. I thought that the Iceberq4 wouldn’t fit because of some pins sticking out, namely the TV out. But in fact it didn’t fit because the push-pins didn’t line up. So I whipped out the drill and measured twice, and drilled once, twice, trice…….eh about 4 or 5 holes. Woops, but it fits.

A few weeks pass……..

“Oh crap, I still don’t have any case other than a cardboard box. That just won’t cut it.”

So I had to think of something fast. First I decided on a material, plastic of some sort. So I called up a plastic shop and had made The Box. And so here’s a picture>
04.jpg

IT FITS IT FITS!!!!!!

“Now to get all the holes marked for cutting.”
I eventually also needed a power button (well maybe not) I looked high and low for a nice metal one but couldn’t find one anywhere. Of course I finally came here and asked and within a few minutes someone pointed me over to www.mountainmods.com and I got the nice metal one from there 

After all the cuts were done (which took a long time because the idiot plastic shop guy had to go on vacation and leave me wondering if I’d really get it done on time) I was time to test if everything worked still (I tested it first in the cardboard box) Surprisingly everything worked, but the BH5 was to good for the PC and it kept resetting. So I swapped it for my PC2700 KHX BH5 and it worked fine. The next mods were cutting the PSU cables to length and sleeving them. I did a terrible job as I of course never did it before, but my soldering skills were good enough when I needed them and the replacement molex crimp pins helped as well (would’ve worked even better if I had bought the right ones I think) Also I went ahead and made the front USB ports wiring shorter and sleeved that as well. Yet another pain in the neck, soldering and sleeving and burning my fingers etc. But finally it was done. I worked the whole night before the first day of IMIC and ended up going to bed at 6am. I had a concert that same day, and because I slept the whole day and during the 3 hour drive, I played close to perfect 

Now I know you’re all curious to see the pictures so let them speak for themselves.
I’d appreciate all questions and comments, just don’t steal my ideas or I’ll hunt you down. j/k

Ah and lastly my Thank you list, all the people I can’t thank enough for contributing to my project.

Xaotic: For selling me 3 hard drives, and the first CD drive, also gave me the second when the 1st didn’t work fully. Can’t thank him enough.

Capt. Slug: For all his suggestions he gave and info.

thecondor: For sending for free an I/O shield; the back wouldn’t be cut anywhere near as accurate without it.

And everyone else that I forgot if anyone (I’m quite sure I did)

Last edited:
Now some shots from various angles>

10.jpg

diagnal angle, compare size to PSX pad.

11.jpg

top view

12.jpg

left side

13.jpg

back side

and finally.....

The inside>

14.jpg

It's only a mess because I still need to trim some wires. Leaving to EU in a week so I have no time.

15.jpg

inside again, but notice one part has changed.

And the last shots are just extra, and not so great.

16.jpg

My 710T :clap:

18.jpg

shot in complete dark (I still don't know how to use this camera)

19.jpg

And a picture of my new shades :)

If you want any particular pictures, or bigger ones just ask.

Soooo, any questions or comments?

I am extremely impressed, this is one of the best mods I have seen in a while. Very thorough, very slick.

How much did it cost you all said and done?

It cost a lot. My parents keep asking for me to factor in all the costs but since I'm leaving to Europe in a week I almost have no time. I'll try to sum most of it up.

mobo: $65

cpu: $40

ram: was laying around so I dunno, it's 2x256mb of bh5

case: $305 IIRC :cry: The guy that did the job wants to buy a PC from me so I think I'll be able to make back most of the money ;) The next case will be laser cut so it should be much less than $100. Keep in mind that just cutting a hole with a hole saw took like 15 minutes because of heatbuildup :/ Manual labor is so expensive :(

CPU HSF: normally $30 I got it for $13

Northbridge cooling: $16 or so

PSU: Shuttle XPC 200watt (no longer selling anywhere :() $37 Why do they not sell it? The new one is too big!!

Hard drive and CD drives: I got the two cd drives and a 20, 30, 40GB drives traded for my 9500pro and cash. So not sure on the individual prices. Let's just say $60 for the 40GB even though a new one is way more.

Keyboard: $70 *ouch* I'm thinking of switching it for a glowing keyboard like this one
http://svc.com/zimislelke.html But I'm afraid it will probably take away from the coolness of being able to fold the keyboard up and stick it in your pocket.
Mouse: $21

LCD> Sure I could have just gotten a small scren that would match this better but I wanted to get something that I could use for anything.....and the 710T is just that :D
$475

accessories:
2 lappy to ide adapters which I didn't use
lappy to ide cable $20
2x LED cluser $6
playstation adaptor $15 or so
usb bracket $4
sleeving $8

shipping for some items> $10 add

Did I miss anything?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

$1149 plus RAM? OMFG I spent a fortune :eek: Oh well, the next one will be about half that price. It's the case and the LCD that increase the cost like crazy. The PC is really really cheap in reality, especially if you use a desktop HDD.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As for the Playstation controller, just get a PSX to USB adaptor and mod away. I still have to secure the adapter somehow, I already know exactly how I want to do it in the future but now it's too late. Has to do with the flame polishing.

Just wondering, but how does that thing get cooled? The only fan vent I see is the PSU hole in the back...side vents? It still seems like it needs some ducting to cool that 1700+, seeing as how much of a closed environment that box is.

Wow! Very nice! I think you should have tried to cram a computer into a playstation 2 case though. Actually, I take that back. I think I may do it.

*WOW*, that looks very slick and professional vio :)

I really like how you can see inside of the case when it's lit up and running, and the job with the PSX Pad Adapter inside is simply wonderful - it's seamless and gives the impression of some kind of souped-up PSX :).

I don't think the moniter is overkill myself, a big screen like that will make all the difference what with all the emulation I know you're going to be doing on that rig :).

Done any overclocking with it yet?

Professionally made? That disappoints me a little. But then again not everyone has as many power tools or patience as me. :D

1. I bought that same keyboard, which normally retails for $120. While I didn't pay that much for mine I think it's more than worth that price considering how comfortable and durable it is compared to other not-so-portable keyboards out there. I now use it as my main keyboard because the key travel and response is easy on my poor fingers.
2. I agree that the case needs some more ventilation.
3. And perhaps maybe a handle?
r4fo said:
very good job, indeed..
One question.... does the "lappy" HD performs the same as the IDE ones?
They're as fast as mid-range priced hard drives of the same RPM range (5600rpm). They don't usually come with large caches so that's what turns off most people.
I love them for their size and silence.

Last edited:
My drives are 5400rpms and I can't stand them! Maybe they would work well as storage, but if you need something small, and have enough money for that lcd, I'd say you should go with a 4gig flash for the OS. Just my opinion though. Nice work, violineb!

IMMANUIELL yayayaya~~~~~ NICE WORK man.... umm just a question...how much did the casing cost ? =)

did u fix the heat problems yet?

looks sweet and i love the monitor... :D

anyways that is a ton of money to spend, did you fix the air issue, and i sure hope that you own the game that you are emulating :)

Back