• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video capturing using AMD CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Intel CPUs have always beaten AMD CPUs at video rendering etc.

Has the performance gap narrowed with Socket 939 CPUs?

Will AMD finally catch up with dual core Toledo expected late 2005 or Q1 2006?

c627627 said:
1. Expensive high quality video capture card
2. What improvements would one see if one uses it in a Socket A system such as mine (to burn a few shows off of TV), vs. putting it in motherboards running CPUs expected on current roadmaps in the next year...

[185] FSB x 13 = 2405 MHz @ 1.80 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [185 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SLK-947U with variable speed 80x25mm Thermaltake Smart Fan 2
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 380W Antec TruePower TP380
Four 80x25mm Case Fans + 1 Variable speed 80x25mm Fan YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F

Athlon 64 Roadmap:
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

c627627 said:
Intel CPUs have always beaten AMD CPUs at video rendering etc.

Has the performance gap narrowed with Socket 939 CPUs?

Looks like it has. And finally invading the P4's (Netburst) long-held territory of video encoding. Not just narrowing the gap but ably beating the formidable video encoding champ (largely due to software optimizations for Netburst architecture and hyper-threading) in some optimized apps.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=13
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/amd-athlon64-3800plus/athlon64-3800plus-s939.html

I'm waiting for the DVD standars to sort themselves out to figure out which capture card, which dual layer DVD burner to get, and most importantly which video format to burn in so that I can use the DVD discs I make with DVD players in use, say, 10 years from now.

Will there be HD DVDs then?
Will the dual layer DVD media just coming out now be able to handle the increased file sizes?

Most specifically, some of the VHS tapes I have, to what format should I transfer those to DVD in if the goal is to keep them compatible with future DVD players?

Finally, what is the difference in how long it will take do that with, say 2 hour VHS tape if

a.) 2.4 GHz Barton is used
b.) 2.4 GHz Socket 754 (either CH or NC) is used
c.) 2.4 GHz Socket 939 is used
d.) 3.0 GHz Socket 939 is used

I'm talking ball park, rough percentage difference figures...

Any eduacated guesses on percentage improvement dual core Toledo coupled with DDR II RAM will give?

Well I've been doing TV -> DVDs with my beloved 2400+ 266FSB for a while now, so I'll put my 2 cents in,

c627627 said:
I'm waiting for the DVD standars to sort themselves out

I assume you're concerned about HD-DVD. What makes you think there isn't anything after that?

c627627 said:
to figure out which capture card

HD-capable ones.

c627627 said:
which dual layer DVD burner to get

Yes that's a bit up in the air, still.

c627627 said:
and most importantly which video format to burn in so that I can use the DVD discs I make with DVD players in use, say, 10 years from now.

What makes you think future DVD players (HD and whatever) won't play standard DVDs? Your DVD player plays CDs you know.

c627627 said:
Will there be HD DVDs then?

Yes, of course. Blu-Ray and whatever the other format(s) is/are.

c627627 said:
Will the dual layer DVD media just coming out now be able to handle the increased file sizes?

Nowhere near. HD movie in general takes at least 12GB for resonable quality. LOTR FOTR for instance takes 20GB.

c627627 said:
Most specifically, some of the VHS tapes I have, to what format should I transfer those to DVD in if the goal is to keep them compatible with future DVD players?

Stick with the good old DVD. It's pointless to wait till then and let the tapes degrade. God knows when we'll have dual-*format* HD-DVD burners at reasonable price.

c627627 said:
Finally, what is the difference in how long it will take do that with, say 2 hour VHS tape if

Well the sad truth is for VHS you'll probably need to apply some filters to enhance the picture (noise filter, for example), and those are CPU intensive. You'll probably have to queue up the tasks and run them overnight in any case, no matter which machine you buy/use.

Last edited:
No talk of operton and xeon - opteron has been beating out Xeon's since 240 i think in all that intel was good @.

HyperYagami said:
What makes you think future DVD players (HD and whatever) won't play standard DVDs? Your DVD player plays CDs you know.
I'd rather go through the process with equipment and formats that will be in standard use in the future.

HyperYagami said:
Nowhere near. HD movie in general takes at least 12GB for resonable quality. LOTR FOTR for instance takes 20GB.

I thought the dual layers will offer 45GB? There was even talk of more?

HyperYagami said:
Stick with the good old DVD. It's pointless to wait till then and let the tapes degrade. God knows when we'll have dual-*format* HD-DVD burners at reasonable price.

My tapes have at least one more year in them, maybe more and first HD-DVD are out in Japan, aren't they, next year this time they'll be on the affordable horizon, won't they?

HyperYagami said:
Well the sad truth is for VHS you'll probably need to apply some filters to enhance the picture (noise filter, for example), and those are CPU intensive. You'll probably have to queue up the tasks and run them overnight in any case, no matter which machine you buy/use.

I've been trying to get any numbers in terms of time difference between doing it on Socket A CPUs and Socket 754 & 939, anybody know?

HyperYagami said:
Well I've been doing TV -> DVDs with my beloved 2400+ 266FSB for a while now.

Hey HyperYagami, tell me about the time it takes you to do what with your equipment. Ever try doing the same thing with different CPUs, what difference did you see?

c627627 said:
Hey HyperYagami, tell me about the time it takes you to do what with your equipment. Ever try doing the same thing with different CPUs, what difference did you see?

well unfortunately I haven't tried any of those on a different machine, it takes a lot of time to set up the programs since I use a big combination (like 15+) of freewares and paywares... :-(

oh ok...I didn't realize you were talking about DL *HD*-DVD...anyway the truth remains, a year from now you might get HD burner and stuff (the one in Japan is a standalone recorder, not for PC IIRC) but it will definitely NOT at a price point that is reasonable (that applies to the media and the burners). since they're still fighting over which HD-DVD format to go put another year or so into the wait too until someone brave enough to do a dual-format burner. also, who knows if the 1st gen stuff will be reliable enough (it has been a long way for DVD burning to get to where it is now, price-wise and reliability-wise).

not to mention is a total waste to encode VHS into HD, and it shouldn't be hard to stuff multiple DVD material into a HD-DVD (just like 6/7 VCDs -> DVD).

Last edited:
Back