• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[LUCK] Why me - really - why! (in a good sense)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Hey all!

yes me again!

Anyways - just my luck - well, good luck i guess one could say.

Okay, to try and make the short of it.

• Sell my main gaming rig for $1000 US (want details ask - will post)
  • Decide to build new gaming rig - based on parts i got and buying others (includes an x800 PRO - thnx m8!)
  • Buy Vid card / cpu - will use P4P800 mobo fo new gaming rig
  • Decided to buy new case / PSU's (dual) 400w fortron's / possibly RAM/ (got stacker - coolermaster case)
  • Tell people i know i want to sell my Asus P4S8X-X (not that i need to - work mobo but still sucksssss) One person who would buy it says no - okay fine decided to keep.
  • Tonight - work m8 decides he will buy mobo afterall! - for $40 - means i get to buy my AI7 :) (ordered via newegg already with over night delivery)
  • Move my work system which was a 2.4A (says on CPU 400mHz FSb!!) from the P4S8X-X to the P4P800.
  • Get work system up and running - turns out 2.4A runs @ 133FSB but @ 2.4ghz - WEIRD! (this is in my P4P800) should be @ 100FSB @ 2.4...anyways
  • Now have my main "work" computer 2.4A @ 3.11ghz - STOCK voltage and STOCK Intel cooler - running BOINC - load temp is 47C!! after 2 hours (artic silver 5 used)
  • Vid card in this system is an 8500 64mb crap card! - currently going to try and O/C - not using ATi tools - it freezes with in the first 30 seconds and i know this card can go higher (did this before in other system - is not because of CPu O/C)

Well i guess the reason i posted this was because in the P4S8x-X mobo - this CPU would hit 2.7Ghz and be hot as HECK!!! - one reason - well when i took out the heatsink - it turns out on stock intel Heatsinks - there is this silver layer on the heatsink!
Thing is - i built this system!! so i dont recall leaving this thin silver layer on!!! as i put on AC 3 in the P4S8X-X system - the load cpu temp was 56C!!! it is now 47c!!! overclocked to 3.11!!! dam that thin cheap layer of aluminum i assume. - 2nd reason - the P4S8X-X just sucks!..lol

Anyways - the way i see it - i did not need to go buy a AI7 - or order a 2.6c (which i won off ebay some time ago) if i had of tried this 2.4a in this p4p800 sooner!! ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!

Oh well, i am now thinking - if i can grab a 6800 GT for the $350 range as someone posted here - BAM i will have 2 kick arse gaming rigs :) and maybe be able to sell one for more then $1000 as i sold my other gaming rig (had a 9700PRO in it)

So as it stands - my current "work" rig specs are: (i work from home so in any sense they are all work rigs for certain things and i consider them mine anyays - company wants one back - all heck! will break lose due to how much of MY stuff is in other systems)

Work Rig (used top be a dell dimensions 8250 (2.4GHz / ATi 7500 i put in / 1g pc 1066) - switched it with a custom rig i built for accounting since they complained their's was slowwwwwww - glad i did now!! MUAHAHAHAHA)

• Asus P4P800
  • 512 PC3200 - Hynix - 2/3/3/8 (soon to be 2g PC2700 - *might* hinder O/C but hopefully not! by much)
  • P4 2.4A @ 172 FSB [and still overclocking!!!! higher) - stock intel heat sink / voltage - temp @ 47C load!! (screen shots to follow once i install Photoshop)
  • 120G WD 8mb (10g as O/S drive)
  • 160g WD 8mb - what ever drive
  • 48x cdburner
  • 4x NEC crap dvd+r burner
  • okay case with 5 x 80mm fans and side panel on CPU (pics to follow soon - maybe... is 6:35am and i STILL! have a rum & coke in my hands..lol glad i dont work today!)
  • no name 450w PSU

My gaming rig i am putting together will consist of (and i plan to do a post about it when i get all the parts and build it)

• Abit AI7
  • p4 2.6C
  • 512pc3200 (from above rig - got 2g PC 2700 off ebay decent to put in now work rig) - will buy better ram pending on O/C of 2.6c)
  • 2 x 250G WD Serial ATA drives (one 250g may go in work rig and will likely buy a raptor for the main o/s and game drive for this rig - not sure yet)
  • DVD rom - not decided - possibly the plextor 12x Serial ATA drive if newegg ever gets them!! www.pccanada.com already has them - tooo bad no USA delivery :( - may get uncles ot ship me one)
  • slk948U - + fast 92mm fan when i find one!!! - suggestions?
  • coolermaster stacker!!! This case is the case of all cases - check out : http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=313077
  • 2 x 400w fortron blue LED PSU's - WHY? because i can :D
  • Extasy x800 PRO that O/C's sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

So - is it just me, or has tonight be my deum lucky night!!

OH lets throw in a girlfriend!!!! WHO has helped me pick out parts (based on looks cause this ****oo has to look good so i can be the envy of Costa Rica!!! - even thought she knows little about what i am talking about (learning fast though) - and is OKAY that i spend this money on this stuff!!!!!

(if i missed something will edit post )

^^^ hehe - she will soon - that is one great thing about her - whether she knows anything about it or not she shows total interest in it! and will learn - i know i bore her to death with some of the stuff i talk about ;) ;) but she still acts interested :D - and she said she wants to get back into playing racing games so time to get out the steering wheel :D

Who really cares about the rig when you can have the girl????

^^^^ cause i know i got the girl :) well, i dont right now cause she is in canada until i got back for 10 days in August - so the rig will keep me company until then :D

^^^ my 2.4a is a 2.4A bought about a year ago (and i still got the box) - long before prescott's were out :D

one i get my new heatsink i will check out the code on the CPU - but in the accountans computer it was running @ 100FSB @ 2.4ghz on a p4s8x-x - could of been a wrong reporting from the bios.

The math doesn't make sense.

You say you are running the CPU at 3110 MHz @ 172 MHz FSB. 3110/172 = 18. That means 18 is your CPU multiplier.

So, at a stock CPU speed of 2400 MHz, your FSB is 133. That means one of two things:
1. You have a 2.4B CPU.
2. You have a 2.4A Prescott (I doubt it if you bought it a year ago... :))

^^ i guess it has got to be a 2.4B and the P4S8X-X had a bios issue - better flash it and make sure before i sell it..lol

i should know tonight sometime :D

Back