• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where to buy flourinert

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leetsmidgion

I cant get ahold of 3M, and i want to buy some flourinert, but i cant find anywhere to buy some, if anyone know where to get some, it would be a great help

lol I see I'm not the only one who thought of using fluorinert.

Fluorinert has good thermal properties, but water still beats it, it's only supposed to be used in cases where you need/want the coolant to have direct contact with the electric device being cooled.

I assume you're looking to cool your entire system. Understand you'll need to keep the PSU (unless you want a huge heat load), CD/DVD drive(s), and possibly hard drives (because they spin) out of the solution.

Although fluorinert is safe, you don't want it sitting in your house in an open container. So you'll need to find/make something that can keep it sealed and allow specific devices, mentioned above, to be kept separate.

Understand that the CPU, NB, SB, GPU, MOSFET, VRAM, etc etc will all be adding to the heat load. So you'll need a good method of cooling the coolant. If you're looking for sub-ambient temps, then understand the larger volume of your coolant will make it many times more difficult to have cooler-than-ambient temps. What's easier, cooling a galon of water -10C or 2 gallons of water to -10C? If you're trying to cool to ambien temps, then the larger coolant volume will help you.

I would only suggest using fluorinert if you have some money on your hands and are looking to do something truly "uber".

There is a video where some guys placed the mobo in a Styrofoam chest and submerged with fluorinert. They had a radiator (heat exchanger) in that chest and another. Then connected the two with tubing and a pump moving some kind of fluid (that wouldn't freeze easily) between the two containers. In the second container they then poured LN2 and via the transfer of heat between the radiators, they brought the computer temps to some insane level.

Back