• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

90nm Athlon 64 Socket 939 Winchesters are here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
c627627 said:
Yeah but you would have to increase voltage for 130nm to reach the same speeds as 90nm can at default voltage.

So 130nm with increased voltage will be hotter than 90nm at default voltage and so on...
I'm thinking 90nm's will overclock very well on stock voltage, but won't be able to take much voltage beyond that. In the end, they'll overclock more or less just as well as the 130nm's. It'll take a few months at least until the gap between the two widens.

oh my, what a complete shock!

what happend to the claims that soi would make 90nm run COOLER than 130nm?

90nm isn't the holy grail that amd'ers thought it would be i guess.

who would have thought that 90nm would pose problems to amd, just like it has intel and ibm. :rolleyes:

90nm didn't mean easy as pie 4gigs for intelers, just like i speculate won't mean 3ghz for amd (initially at least).

here's a link to batboy's prescott cooling article. something tells me yall will need it! ;) http://www.overclockers.com/tips1179/

Yes and no.... I still what to know why the stock volts are so freaking high. Keep in mind that its a meger .1v lower than a NC. Frankly Im suprised the temps are that good.

I'd like to see what the temps Pressy get on 1.4v!

I dunno whats going on but the stock volts should be around 1.1v not 1.4!

I don't know why everyone expects AMD's 90nm to be a miracle.

Looks like Intel is much better off when it comes to this, they're about ready to release their third stepping of 90nm CPUs.

1.4 seems about right to me??

pressies run on 1.325-1.375 stock i think, 1.4 doesn't really do much to them heat wise, as they already run hot.

even up at 1.55v, its not the chip you have to worry about, its your motherboards mosfets and such that start to blow.

i would be just as interested in the 939 PWM temps as the actual cpu temps.

and yes gautam, ultimatly you are correct, we don't actually nkow anything YET but speculation is fun, no? :D

TDP is 89W, only 7W up from NC's. Stock temps are about 3-5C higher than NC's. Nothing too spectacular in either way.

DanIdentity said:
I don't know why everyone expects AMD's 90nm to be a miracle.

Looks like Intel is much better off when it comes to this, they're about ready to release their third stepping of 90nm CPUs.

Because it is a cheap s939 solution. S939 for 200 you cant go wrong.

OK, my turn.

1. Those 90nm are 3000+, 3200+ and 3500+. I have 3000+.
2. They have the same 89W TDP rating as every other A64 on market (except DTR / Mobiles).

CPUZ_Winchester.gif

Temperature - at default voltage of 1.4V:
Burn_large.gif

It runs at default frequency at 1.2V prime stable! Temperature:
Napeti_1.2V.gif

On the same motherboard with the same BIOS version, 3500+ NewCastle runs 61 degrees Celsius with BurnK7.

Overclocker550 said:
well if you really have a winchester now, let us know how it overclocks and show me some benchies!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im more interested in its top end... how does it respond with voltage?

Overclocker550 said:
well if you really have a winchester now, let us know how it overclocks and show me some benchies!!!!!!!!!!!!
This one POSTed at 2400 MHz with default (1.4V) voltage. Performance is the same as with Newcastle core, maybe there is a minor performange gain because of bugs being fixed (around 1% or so).

Regardless of the overclocking capability, Winchesters are ganna be awsome. Who can argue with a s939 A64 with dual-channel for 200bucks. These will probably overclock the same as newcastles, which is great for now. Plus everyone can join the S939 club and keep the platform for better cores and dualcore processors down the road.

Back