• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

82nd Spotlight!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
F@H Spotlight #82
This is the 82nd in the series of T32 Spotlights!!

NOTE: For nominating fellow Team32 members or volunteering yourself you can PM me directly. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed, please go here: SPOTLIGHT

Now please give a warm welcome to..........................

Torin3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Again, Thanks for taking the time to allow me to interview you.

When did you join the Team? Approximate date is OK if you don't know the specific date.

My first WU was folded on September 18th, 2007. Which was also my 3rd wedding anniversary. It was done with the basic screensaver client.

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow team members to know about, what would it be?

The most recent thing that they would probably actually be interested in was my building a benching station to try and see if I can run 3 dual-GPU cards without having heat problems. I'm hoping an open-air case lets me do that.

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?

EOC

You do not have to give specifics (address), but what Part of the World do you live in, and if you don't mind telling, what town? (Town is not required, but if not a town, a general direction and distance from the nearest 'big town/city/country would suffice)

I don't mind at all. I live in Souderton, PA. Which is about halfway between Philadelpha and Allentown. Say about 1/2 an hour away from each. About 2 hours or so west of New York City.

How did you initially hear about F@H?

From the avatar of our moderator nikhsub1. Though it was over on the procooling forum, before I'd found OCForums.

After starting, why do you continue to Fold?

For the science, knowing that I'm helping increase our knowledge of biology, for potential cures, and for the comraderie.

What do you do for a living?

I work in a machine shop. We make parts for companies like Harley Davidson, Streamlight Flashlights, Halliburton, Case/New Holland. I started there as an off the street hire, and wound up quickly running a multi-spindle lathe the size of a small semi. Then I tranferred to QC, and later IT support. Temporarly I'm in the hand-operations department due to us needing more production people than computer support. I should be back to IT when we do a major software upgrade.

What do you do for fun?

Play in the Society for Creative Anachronisim. It is a historical society that focuses on life in the middle ages. My avatar is associated with a sub-group in it. A lot of my hobbies stem from that. Blacksmithing, playing the harp, jewelry making, Japanese braiding (kumihimo). I also enjoy tinkering on computers, and I've started learning how to repair monitors and motherboards with a soldering iron.

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?

Reading. Though I have to be careful. Once I start a book, I literally cannot put it down. I've cut way back since I was a teenager. Fortunately, I read quickly, so most books only take me about 4-5 hours. But that means if I start reading at 8pm, it will be 1am before I can call it a night.

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?

Well, my main rig only has 1 video card folding, and 1 smp VM running on it, so I guess I'll have to go with my media server. It is an EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI motherboard, running a Q6600 CPU with 2, soon to be 3 GTX 295 video cards. I've got a Silverstone 1KW PSU powering it. I haven't really overclocked it yet, because it was running a little unstable due to the outlet it was plugged into not having a proper grounding wire. I've fixed that and built a benching station for it as well. I should be overclocking soon and putting a VM on there to get some SMP folding action too. Currently I get about 32-33K PPD out of it, and I expect to get over 50K PPD as soon as the next card arrives. I mainly use it for storing recorded TV shows that I like rewatching. It was my first attempt at a server, and and networking my house. I'd guess you'd say I like it for it's potential, and the accomplishments it represents.

Though I'm hoping to have a new main rig by Spring/Summer of next year that will blow this one out of the water. I want to run an EVGA 4-way SLI Classified motherboard with 4 GTX 295 co-op video cards (or mabye the 300 series dual-gpu boards).

Do you have a Borg-Farm(Group of computers)? If so, how many computers, and what are they? (CPU, RAM)

I run 1 GTX 295 and 1 VM SMP client on my main computer, the media server I mentioned above, my work computer which has 2 9800 GX2 cards in it. I also have a friend running the GPU2 client on a 9800 GT card that I won in a folding contest here. I couldn't really use it with the other video cards I have, so I gave it to him on the condition he fold with it when he isn't gaming.

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?

For folding, I want to consistently produce in the top 50 worldwide, and maybe make it into the top 5 of Team 32. For my life though, I'm hoping to be a father. Unfortunately, for us that means in-vitro treatments. We are going to try again the end of next year. Whether or not that works out, I'm going to try and be the best person I can, and do what I can to help those around me. I'd also like to become a published author and get some of the stories I have floating around in my head out of there. I'd also like to get my side business of making damascus steel knives going properly.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?

Well, I'm not sure what I'd want to tell the team other than, "Thank you, it is an honor to be on a team with such great team members!" As far as missed suff... Well, while I read the folding sub-forum regularly when I started folding, I held of posting until I reached 1 million points, just to see if I could stay under the radar. I did stay under the radar, but I did post to join a contest.

Oh, and I tend not to let things stand in the way of what I want to accomplish. I wanted a power hammer (a large machine tool) to help me make damascus steel, and since I couldn't find one I could afford, I made my own. It weighs about 900 pounds and had a 60 pound hammer head on it. I welded it up out of scrap steel. I like to think in terms of 'how can I'.

I also have 4 boa constrictors.

A few Pics of your Farm, Hobbies, even you! Etc.

Sure!

Here is my media server:

bench.jpg

Here is my main computer from a couple of generations ago, but it is still in the same case:

cc27.png

cc28.png

Motherboard that is in my main rig now:

asus1.jpg

Forge I built:

forge2.jpg

Some of the damascus steel I make:

seams4.jpg

final.jpg
Here is video of the power hammer in use:

Here is me showing how to braid on a takadai (kumihimo, the Japanese braiding)

I'll have a picture of me next to my main computer in a few days. I need to do it for a case modding contest, but I've got to wait for a component to come in first.

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Great vids and Interview Torin...I was lucky enough to see Torin's Case Modding and Machine Mods up close and personnel! Very impressive!:drool:

This guys not a bad Folder for Team32 either!:thup:

I know where I can get my welding done!;)

Glad to be on your team, torin. :salute:

Thanks for bringing this back, fonda! :thup:

Great Interview of Torin3, some mighty nice Rigs too, and awesome Machinery, Nice Metal work!
WTF! Torin3

Great to see the Spotslights Thread alive again, thanks dfonda for taking the reigns of The Team Spotlight Thread

Great to know more about you torin! :)

I swear I've seen some of that metal work before... I know I recall you mentioning it sometime in the past.

Thanks for the kind words everybody! :beer::attn::thup:

Yes, I've posted some of my metalworking stuff before.

Side note...I almost lost my finger on a malfunctioning punch press today at work. :shock: Fortunately, all I have right now is a blood blister.

Very impressive work there Torin, the folding rigs are great, and the Damascus is just amazing!

My Father is a "period" blacksmith and works on all kinds of wrought iron. He has a hand made bellows for his coal forge, and makes 90% of his tools (all hand tools). He has been smithing for about 30 years and travels to the east coast, near Baltimore, every year for the summer.

mdcomp has been contacted, and will be working on formatting this for the front page as soon as he gets a chance, unless I am able to work on it before he is, but as it looks right now, my first possible chance to work on it won't be for another week or so. Thanks for getting these going again, Dave!:thup::beer: or :soda:, whichever you prefer.

Good to know more about you, Torin! I had a feeling you were handy with stuff, and now I can see that! Nice forge, and damascus steel too! :salute:

4 boas? What kind? Pics? I've kept a few snakes, currently have a Cailf. King, used to have a Ball Python; pretty cool snake but she died mysteriously, a couple years ago. :-(

Dave, thanks for bringing the Spotlight back to life!

:thup:

Thanks for the kind words everybody! :beer::attn::thup:

Yes, I've posted some of my metalworking stuff before.

Side note...I almost lost my finger on a malfunctioning punch press today at work. :shock: Fortunately, all I have right now is a blood blister.

Glad your all right friend!:thup: Bet its painful at that tho. Thats the only time I can't control my language... right after I smack my finger with something!;)

Glad your all right friend!:thup: Bet its painful at that tho. Thats the only time I can't control my language... right after I smack my finger with something!;)

Yep. Said a few nasty words. Also, that press is shut down until they can fix it. Not sure I'll want to work on it again regardless.

Anyway, here is the photo of me that you can add to the article:

final.png

Those knives are amazing. Is the pattern a result of the process of making it or something you added?

It is a result of the process. You take 2 different types of steel and layer them together and forge weld them into one piece. The steels etch at different rates which gives you the pattern.

Here is a quick video overview. Not exactly the way I do it, but close enough.

Back