• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good free firewalls?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
iptables :).

Haha... I suppose OP should have specified an OS...

OP... there are so many good ones that it all depends on what else is on your system... and what OS you are running... some firewalls work well with certain AVs and bad with others... just like some programs are going be cripled and others not... so provide more information on what you are wanting from the firewall... what OS you are using... AV and other things...

If your OS is 32-bit Online Armor has a free version and it even has HIPS. I run it on two systems and love it. I run the $ version on my main system.

A 64-bit version is on its way.

IMO, for Windows XP, Kerio 2.1.5 is still the best; DSL Reports, [Kerio 2.x] Where to find Kerio 2.x :) Sunbelt bought them out and made a version for Vista, a Windows 7 version is still pending (presumably in wait of Service Pack 1?)... It's a rule-based firewall, very logical & with a (very) shallow learning-curve; as opposed to many other (commodo and kaspersky included).

Code:
http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-home-office/sunbelt-personal-firewall/
P.S.
Here's an example of how simple it can be, Preventing IP spoofing of the localhost.

P.P.S. PC Tools Firewall Plus -- is another pretty simple one, that works w/Win 7....

Both recommended Antivirus and Firewall programs are actually freeware.

Avira and Comodo. Accept no substitutions. They beat (almost) all pay-for programs. ;)

• Freeware Avira AntiVir Personal
+
• Freeware Comodo Internet Security

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html
Code:
Avira AntiVir Personal 9.0.0.407

It is recommend to allow the configuration wizard to keep the default extended threat categories.
(UNCHECK: Appication (APPL), Games, Jokes, Security privacy risk, and Unusual runtime compression.)

Subscription to new virus definitions for this program does not expire. (It is renewed automatically when it expires.) 

In case of problems, in order to extend the license without reinstalling the product, download the current license file.

hbedv.key Product License Key File is included and is available on the official download page as well.
In case of subscription problems, download the latest key file from 
http://dl2.avgate.net/down/windows/hbedv.key

and copy it to 
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop

Options: 
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avcenter.exe

Turn off notification pop-ups after Antivir updates itself:
Administration (lower left) > Scheduler > Right-click on Daily Update > Edit job > Next > Next > Next > under Display mode, select Invisible > Finish.

> Configuration (Right middle part of the window) > CHECK: Expert mode (upper left)
> Scanner > Scan > Action for concerning files

then 
> General > Security > UNCHECK: Show notice if the virus definition file is out of date
then
> Update > Download and install product updates automatically (recommended)

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > Administrative Tools [in WIndows 7, click on System and Security first] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is 
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

For Windows XP Home you would need to boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator, then 
go to 
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
and right click on it >
Properties > Security > Advanced > Edit > Select options not to let it execute for all users.

To disable AntiVir splash screen: right click on its shortcut > Properties >
Next to Target: add /ns to the existing path.

To disable AntiVir splash screen if it automatically starts at bootup, use program such as 
Startup Control Panel > HKLM / Run TAB > right click on avgnt > Edit... > 
add /ns to the existing path of the program so that it reads 
"C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min /ns

To submit a suspected virus, go to 
http://www.avira.com/en/support/submit_suspicious_files.html
to upload it.

Manual updates can be downloaded from:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip
or for older versions of Windows:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_9x_en.zip
Unzip the downloaded file and copy all the contents to 
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
overwriting existing files.

It is possible to transfer virus definitions between systems if Antivir version is the same so that it contains these files:
aecore.dll
aeemu.dll
aegen.dll
aehelp.dll
aeheur.dll
aeoffice.dll
aepack.dll
aerdl.dll
aescn.dll
aescript.dll
aeset.dat
aevdf.dll
antivir0.vdf
antivir1.vdf
antivir2.vdf
antivir3.vdf
avewin32.dll
avpack32.dll
avrep.dll
unacev2.dll

Using two AntiVirus programs at the same time:
If there are two AntiVirus programs installed, you should not have two AntiVirus *Guard* programs active at the same time because this would slow the system down, Windows may even have problems booting with two AntiVirus guard components being active. So if installing AntiVir on a system where there already is an AntiVirus program installed, do not install AntiVir guard.

Also disable the guard component of one program if using another program to scan an entire disk drive.

Default log file location is 
C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

For older versions:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\LOGFILES
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
or
C:\Program Files\Avira AntiVir Personal\
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Avira AntiVir Personal\LOGFILES

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
Code:
Comodo Internet Security 3.12.111745.560

Install COMODO Firewall only, UNCHECK everything else.

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Firewall security Level > Custom Policy Mode.

Start the program > Miscellaneous > Settings > General TAB > Update setting

Miscellaneous > Manage my configurations to Import/Export settings 
(select COMODO Firewall Security for Blocked/Trusted programs)

Give a unique name to newly imported settings, then after importing go to 
Miscellaneous > Manage my configurations > Click on the unique name > Activate

Firewall > Common Tasks > Define any New Trusted/Blocked Applications
Firewall > Advanced > Firewall Behavior Settings > Alert Settings > Very Low (Shows only one alert per application) > Apply

To view a list of blocked/trusted applications: Firewall > Advanced > Network Security Policy

Even if you exit this program, it will still block access to other computers on the network if the following are blocked under Firewall > Advanced > Network Security Policy:

System
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Allow And Log IP In/Out From IP Any Where Protocol Is Any

How about Astaro on an old PC? ;) If you have the PC, it's free and completely outside of the OS it is trying to protect (software firewalls can only go so far once the system they run on becomes compromised ;) ). They recently loosened the free version's 10 IP limitaton to 50 IP's - completely useable in a large home network. It's literally Corporate level security for free...

:cool:

How about Astaro on an old PC? ;) If you have the PC, it's free and completely outside of the OS it is trying to protect (software firewalls can only go so far once the system they run on becomes compromised ;) ). They recently loosened the free version's 10 IP limitaton to 50 IP's - completely useable in a large home network. It's literally Corporate level security for free...

Wow! I never knew this existed! And built in QOS! I might replace my Smoothwall box with this and tinker with it over the weekend. Thanks! :beer:

Yes indeed. Astaro just recently loosened the old 10 IP limitation a few weeks ago (got an email from them alerting me to this). I honestly only tried it briefly in 2008 as the old 10 IP limitation was too much for me, but I know it's a solid and very tough corporate firewall that Astaro sells for thousands of dollars to the big boys (installed on Astaro's own hardware). Us little guys get it for free as long as we provide the hardware, and now with upto 50 concurrent IP's. Woot! It even has 2x email A/V's and an internet A/V built in - it scans the traffic before it ever gets to your PC :eek: Talk about proactive protection ;)

I've got an ITX system that I'll be setting up with this soon (just need a PCIe NIC and I'll be set)...

ZoneAlarm FREE

It is very simple, and it does its job. What else can you ask for?

if it is anything like it was a year or more ago, avoid it, does it's job alright and then some, often blocks things you dont want it to, doesn't warn you either, seems to have a mind of it's own.

Really with Vista and windows 7, you don't need anything else, toss your system behind a router and your good to go since both Vista and 7 have outbound and inbound configuration.

Even though I suggested Zonealarm I must agree with the above post. I have never had problems with ZoneAlarm but Vista & Win7 dont really need it. Last time I used it was with XP and had no problems.

You need Comodo with Vista and 7 because Windows native firewalls don't block unauthorized outgoing connection attempts.

If an unwanted program somehow installs itself on your system, at least Comodo would intercept it phoning home. It's a must. I disable Windows firewall and install Comodo for that reason.

Back