• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide to SSD selection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
SSD technology is one of my weak areas in the PC technology world....as such there are many types with corresponding price ranges out there. What should I be looking for? I see 64 Gig SSD's in the $130 range, should I steer clear or should I expect to for out $250 plus for a reliable mid range one? What about the different controllers, JMicron, Samsung , Intel??....there are lots of articles out there but what we need is a simple guide.

Would love to see the experts in SSD's provide some input here.

To get you started I'm looking at a 64 G SSD, which of these should I get and what is the main differences, all of them are in the same price class

Kingston V Plus 64GB

Apacer A& Turbo 64GB

Kingston SSDNow V-Series SNV125-S2BD/64GB

PQI DK9640GD2R000A03 2.5" 64GB

Well samsung based ssd's (aka the controller) will all have 128mb of cache, easy to spot. from what i have gathered the samsung controller needs all 128mb of cache. there is word that samsung has a new controller to be retail soon. SSD's with samsung controllers are priced about the same as ones with the indilinx barefoot controller. (see OCZ Summit line)

These indilinx based SSD's only come with 64mb of cache. Taking OCZ for instance here, there are two lines with the indilinx barefoot controller. The first one being the high end would be the Vertex and Vertex-EX is one line. The other being the Agility and Agility-EX. The Agility line tends to be about $20 cheaper if looking on newegg sometimes higher. :screwy: The EX on the end of the series denotes that it uses SLC vs MLC on the non-EX series.

Now these wont be intel killer's per say but they excel in other areas that intel doesn't. Intel's main area it dominates is the IO part of tests, a big deal for web serving. Intel does have a higher cost per GB then non-intel drives. only important if you need more space then the other benefits the drive has to offer.

Looking to get a SSD, only two options to consider. Your either looking at Intel or a indilinx based SSD. Right now those are the only two you should consider. Anything with a Jmicron controller just isn't worth the headache. As they do stutter alot, when alot of small read/writes happen. the controller just simply can not handle it compared to the Intel or Indilinx controllers.

*edit*
NOOOOO my formatting!!
ok, gonna have to do it differently then...

Something from intel/indilinx are the ones I recommend first when going with MLC based drives. Samsung also work well but aren't as good as the Indilinx based drives.
At this time, stay away from anything jmicron based. Even the 612 based drives, as they aren't tested yet.

None of this post should be taken as fact and should challenged as much as possible if incorrect. :) This post is only referring to MLC SSDs.

The two factors that make having an SSD a good experience are 1. the super low access times and 2. the super fast random write speed.

They key to buying an SSD is the controller. There are four major SSD controllers brands: JMicron, Samsung, Indilix and Intel.

In a nutshell
JMicron: generally avoid
Samsung: Reliable yet not as fast as the competition (Intel and Indilix), but not as expensive either.
Indilix: Best price/performance, good random write speed with great max sequential write speed.
Intel: Most expensive, hands down the best random write speed but at the expense of a much lower sequential write speed.

NOTE: SSD performance can and will degrade over time. There are only 3 possible ways to restore performance to a fresh state:
1. Secure Erase the drive, which involves wiping all of the data (works with all drives)
2. Use manual "wiper" or "garbage collecting" (GC) tools (only works with certain drives)
3. Rely on TRIM, an automatic background command available in W7 and Linux (only works with drives that support it via firmware)

A. JMicron

1. JMicron JMF602: This is the controller that saw widespread use in the first round of "affordable" SSDs. Unfortunately, due to a hardware defect, the controller caused stuttering during every day use. From a 09/2008 article:

When you cause the JM602’s internal buffer to overflow, your system runs in bullet-time. Applications take much longer to launch and close, windows take longer to appear, and there are distinct pauses in anything you want to do that involves the disk. Want to send an IM? Well, that writes to an IM log - you can expect a pause before you can send your IM. Loading webpages is the worst, reading from and writing to the cache wreaks havoc on these cacheless MLC drives. Just for kicks I tried loading AnandTech while I was extracting a 5GB file on the SuperTalent 60GB MLC, it took over 10 seconds for the website to load. Once the JM602 was free to fulfill the read request, the website just popped up - but until then it was like my DNS was failing. It’s a lot like what happens to your notebook if you try and do too much, the disk quickly becomes a bottleneck.

Thankfully, as we've already seen, this problem is only limited to JMF602 based MLC drives

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/Intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=10

However, Kingston has apparently been able to tweak the firmware for the controller to create a SSD line, the Kingston SSDNow V-Series, which reportedly doesn't suffer from stuttering and provides an overall good, budget SSD experience. Other than the V-Series drives, all SSDs with the JMF602 controller should be avoided.

AFAIK, no GC or TRIM available.

Drives using JMF602: OCZ Core, Kingston V-Series

2. Dual JMicron JMF602: In an effort to get over the stuttering issue, manufacturers combined two JMF602 controllers in a RAID0-like configuration. This dual-controller was used in the G.Skill Titan and OCZ Apex SSDs. Unfortunately the problem was not resolved completely. Applications such as Firefox made the drive stutter. All dual JMicron SSDs should be avoided.

Drives using dual JMF602: OCZ Apex, G.Skill Titan​

B. Samsung

SSDs with Samsung controllers have been reliable from the get-go, but aren't as fast as Indilix or Intel controllers. There are two generations of them with the second generation having higher max speeds. Unfortunately, due to the relatively poor random write speed, I don't recommend these drives.

From what I understand, Samsung has plans to release a firmware update with TRIM support.

Drives using Samsung: OCZ Summit, Corsair P-series​

C. Indilix

The Indilix controller-based SSDs provide the most bang for the buck, with impressive speeds in every category. Variations in performance amongst Indilix drives, such as the performance OCZ Vertex vs the budget OCZ Agility, come from using different flash chips. All Indilix drives are recommended as they have good random write speeds, albeit not as good as Intel drives.

Both GC and TRIM are available for Indilix based drives.

Drives using Indilix: OCZ Vertex, OCZ Agility, Patriot Torqx, G.Skill Falcon, Super Talent UltraDrive GX​

D. Intel

The Intel controller is the performance king when it comes to random write speed, a key to the SSD experience. However, this is achieved at the expense of a much lower sequential write speed. This performance hit is only noticable when moving around large files, only in those situations do Intel drives lose against Indilix and Samsung drives. Intel has two generations of controllers, the G1 and G2. The G2 has better random write speeds and TRIM support, with no plans at this time to provide TRIM support for G1. For this reason I recommend the G2 drives.

Examples of Intel based drives are: Intel X25-M (G1 and G2), Kingston SSD M Series (only G1 for now, G2 to be released in the future)​

What to buy?
The choice really comes down to Intel drives vs Indilix drives. If you move around lots of large files and depend on sequential write speed, the Indilix drives will be better. If you don't, then it becomes debateable which is a better buy. I side with Anand when he says to buy the largest (Intel or Indilix) drive you can afford.

Oh, before I forget, before making your purchase keep in mind that SSDs take a small performance hit when they get filled. Anand says to keep 20% free at all times but I think you'll be fine with say 10%.

Last edited:
A very rough, unedited post made in a few minutes so as I mentioned in the beginning don't take it as gospel. The list of drives are of course incomplete, I'll fill them in at some point down the line.

A very rough, unedited post made in a few minutes so as I mentioned in the beginning don't take it as gospel. The list of drives are of course incomplete, I'll fill them in at some point down the line.

Nice post, and I'd agree with 99% of it. The one thing I take issue with is the SLC vs MLC advice. It really depends on the intended use of the drive, and with OCZ's somewhat recent introduction of the Agility EX, the MLC/SLC game has changed a bit.

Two questions;
For gaming does MLC or SLC matter?
Is there and easy way to spot what controller a drive say on newegg uses or should one go look at the manufacturers data sheet?

Edit, nvm on the last question, the link posted above by hyperasus is a great reference, thanks.

Last edited:
No, you'll see no difference in gaming between an SLC drive and a quality MLC drive.

For gaming does MLC or SLC matter? .

Nope.

MLC advantages - High Density, Lower cost per bit

SLC advantages - Endurance, operating temperature range, lower power consumption, write/erase speeds, write/erase endurance.

Originally SLC performance was significantly higher than MLC, but with recent progress MLC is catching up in performance in the write / read areas. Both offer the super quick access times that benefit game loading, opening files, etc.

SLC SSD's are for data centers where they have to read / write and constantly erase small queries all day in servers and other high performance applications.

Excellent info, thanks guys, now we need someone to condense this in a nice guide for us. :)

Two questions;
For gaming does MLC or SLC matter?
Is there and easy way to spot what controller a drive say on newegg uses or should one go look at the manufacturers data sheet?

Edit, nvm on the last question, the link posted above by hyperasus is a great reference, thanks.
For Intel I'd say MLC is better than the SLC drives for gaming because the firmware on the SLC drives is tuned for server workload, while the MLC drives are tuned for desktop workloads. Because of this there are some benchmarks out there that show the MLC Intel drive beating the SLC Intel drive even though the SLC drive has higher rated speeds.

Back