• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 2209WA 1680 x 1050 @ 75Hz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Couldn't get nd4spdbh2's guide to work on Win 7 x64 RC. I tried installing the driver from Dell but for whatever reason it failed.
I simply uninstalled both monitors (the old one and the new one) from device manager, redetected hardware, and then tried the trick again and it worked!

Edit:
So I got 75Hz at the desktop, but in-game I still got 60Hz. I tried to install the monitor driver again, and it worked. Restarted the system and all is now well :)

Last edited:
In my case I got it working by reverting back to 186.18 drivers like some people already did. No more tearing, yay!! :)

you sure you got everything right as well as the checkbox that says allow modes this monitor does not support?

dont have the latest drivers but i dont see why a different driver would screw with things.

Its because the new drivers and Nvidia control panel don't have that option. Nor do they have the monitor calibration wizard anymore.

I haven't been able to get this to work. Followed the directions precisely, but it just wont take. Nothing in the OS either. My old monitor used to show 75hz when I ticked the show non supported RR in control panel. All that comes up with this monitor, with that ticked, is 59-60hz.

So, running the newest drivers definitely looks to be an issue. I am also running DVI. Can somebody who got 75hz to take, confirm they are running DVI, and what drivers?

There are also a good amount of freeware aps that will force a refresh rate. So I am going to try those next. Im not reverting back to old drivers, its not that big of a deal.

But honestly, Im not certain that this monitor is actually made to run at 75hz. I remember early on, someone saying it was a misprint.

I seriously screwed up an old Dell monitor when forcing it to 75hz. Lasted for many years, but it was dead pixel hell.

Last edited:
i will upgrade to the 190.38's here in a bit and report back.

@ The Coolest. use refresh force to force 75hz in games.

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

download it select the active monitor 2209wa, find 1680 x 1050 and change the frequency to 75hz, click apply, then yes, then OK. you can close and delete the program if you wish. Now fire up any game and it should stay at 75hz.

EDIT- IT IS POSSIBLE WITH DVI TO RUN AT 75HZ WITH 190.38!

There is just a couple of intermediate steps compared to before

what you have to do is after you install and restart the system. go into the nvidia control panel. select a resolution OTHER than 1680x1050, say 1280x1024 and run at that. Now click add resolution, check enable resolutions this monitor not exposed. click OK. then EXIT the nvidia control panel.

Open nvidia control panel back up. click add resolution, Create a custom resolution of 1680x1050 at 72 (SEVENTY TWO) HZ at a bit depth of 16 BIT, make sure you set the timings to manual, and use the same timings as before in post 19, but instead of 75hz and 32 bit your doing 72hz and 16bit. click test then click OK.

Select the 1680x1050 resolution and select 72hz and click apply. you should now be at 1680x1050@72hz@16bit.

NOW click on create a custom resolution again CLICK THE RED X next to 1680 x 1050 @ 60hz (32bit) at the top of the box under the custom area.

LASTLY click create a custom resolution and use the exact numbers as outlined in POST 19 to fill all the timings in. click test then click yes then click OK. You should now be running at 1680x1050 at 75hz with 32bit depth.

LMK if you guys got it, it takes a lil tinkering to get it to do it, but it is definitely possible no doubt.

Last edited:
I will report back...

edit:

Still doesn't take. It wont let me assign 72hz at any resolution, let alone 75hz.

Im currently trying to find the post at Hardforum in which the discussion about whether it supports 75hz or not takes place. I distinctly remember people mentioning seeing that it did, somewhere. But in the end the consensus was that it didn't.

It certainly doesn't mention that in my manual, etc. I got one fairly early on though. At least 2-3 weeks before you nd4spdbh2. So maybe you got a different batch or something. I don't know. Not going to worry about it.

Last edited:
ya just reinstalled xp... had no problem getting it to run at 1680x1050@75hz @ 32bit with 190.38.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,888
I wasn't able to get it to work at 75hz the first time I tried and gave up for a bit. Tried again today and was able to get both my screens @ 75hz. I reinstalled video and monitor drivers and everything worked fine. I had an issue with it not accepting the custom resolution, but once I went to display properties>monitor and turned it to 75hz there it worked.

Only issue is running v-sync in games give a rather noticeable input lag that is not there when it is off. I don't know if this is an issue with the monitor or a by-product of v-sync. At any rate, there is much less tearing in games now at 75hz, v-sync on or off.

CS:S does not automatically detect the 75hz, it loads at 60 but if I alt-tab it picks it up when I tab back in. I assume this is because there is no option in CS:S to change the refresh rate. I know there's some command you can put into a launch option somewhere in Steam, but I guess it's not necessary if I can just alt tab and be good.

By the way, have you guys changed your Dynamic Range from 16-235 to 0-255? From what I've read, this only makes a difference in videos.. Anyone have any more information about this? SS below.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,870
Last edited:
Ya these new drivers are really finikey in how they handle custom resolutions.

never had a prob with input lag with vsync on or off.

And use "refresh force" google it, download it and change 1680x1050 to 75hz.

75 hz problem

Hi guys I cant seem to get my 2209wa to 1680x1050 75hz
I cant only get it to 1400x1050 @75hz.

Even though I manually set it to 1680x1050.

I tried this

Horizontal front porch: 48
Active horizontal pixels: 1680
Horizontal total: 1840
Horizontal sync width: 32
Horizontal sync polarity: -

Vertical front porch: 3
Active vertical lines: 1050
Vertical total: 1087
Vertical sync width: 6
Vertical sync polarity: +

Then set the desired refresh rate to 75 Hz.

I have Windows7 RTM 64 bit on my laptop.

Do you guys think that having my laptop setup with dual display could be the problem?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Well I bought the HDMI - DVI converter and it works!

What an improvement,
VGA was terrible compared to DVI

Well I bought the HDMI - DVI converter and it works!

What an improvement,
VGA was terrible compared to DVI

Uh I'm glad you got it working, but you know you can also edit your previous post for an update right? lol. (as a comment on your 3 posts in a row :p).

at the topic concerning fps as on the first page.. Supposedly we can't see past a certain number of fps.. Tell that to the airforce. They flash images at 200fps to train pilots..

maru did you have the dell drivers installed for the monitor... cus i can not get it to even try testing 1680x1050 75hz... it just comes up with a lil popup from nvidia that this monitor doesnt support 75hz.

EDIT : looks like just using CVT reduced blank instead of manual timings works perfect for windows 7.... and is it me or is the nvidia control panel in win 7 REALLY slow n laggy.

Last edited:
actually i havnt had a problem since siwitching to win 7 64bit trying to get 75hz to work... just made a custom resolution using CVT reduced bank to calculate the timings.

You guys are going to love me Lol :beer:, I just made a modded driver to work at 76hz on any win 7 x86/x64 (it should work on vista, but I'm not sure), just install it, select 1680x1050 76hz, and that's it, it doesn't matter the vga as well :eek:.

Attachments

• Dell2209wa76hz.zip
    951 bytes · Views: 3,267
I downloaded and scanned the file with Avira and it came up clean, then unzipped it and scanned it again and it was still showing clean. I don't have this Dell monitor so I can't say whether it works or not but it doesn't have any malicious payload.

No offense Killer344, but this was your first post and you have attached a file in it and I was just making sure you weren't someone trying to pass a malicious payload to members of our forums.

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

Back