• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get my FSB higher??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delchrys

Hi all,

i'm new to this forum and new to overclocking, i've read many thread about OC'ing but i have some problems.

Here are my PC Specs:

Asus M4n78-AM Mainboard
Amd Phenom X4 9650 Proc @2300 Stock
Stock CPU cooler - waiting to be replaced.
OCZ Reaper 2x2GB 800MHZ (OCZ2RPR8004GK) @ 5-5-5 1.85V
Sapphire Ati Radeon HD4830 512MB DDR3 @700/995MHZ
OnBoard sound
2 x WD SATAII 160GB HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I've started overclocking my system with the help of the forum thread OC'ing an AM2: An update to Easy 1, 2, 3,:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

It worked out very well but i still have some questions:
Setting multiplier by 8 (minimum of BIOS)
Determined max FSB = 242 MHZ
When i go higher my system will not start

Is there anything i can do to get an higher FSB??? with my Max MP of 11,5 i can only get to 242X11.5=2783MHZ but i think there's maybe more possible.
I don't think my BIOS support OC'ing Northbridge, i can't find the voltage or multiplier settings. Only came up with chipset voltage (don't know what this mean)

with FSB at 242 system is still stable so i think my memory can handle this also, did'nt determine max RAM Speed because of limitation FSB.

I know i can't expect much of my MOBO but maybe there's something i'm missing.

I left the Ram at 400, so multplier would be 1 so Ram should be at 242*2=484*2=968. No problems after P95 (7 minutes) at stock timings and voltage of 1.85V

Because i still have stock AMD cooler couldn't pump voltage more on VCore than +50mv (HEATWALL). Damnit but still searching for the right cooler. Silent and cool. Maybe some ideas, anyone???? Very difficult cause of heatsinks from OCZ Reapers.

Anyone please can give me some advise???
I Love free performance.

Greetz Delchrys. From The Netherlands (sorry for my English)

:welcome: to OCF!!

Before you start to think your 9650 can even reach the max FSB with max Multi, I think you should give it a try. Unfortunately the old Phenoms were not very good at overclocking. Keep your memory as close to default as possible and raise the FSB with your max multi until you get your maximum OC. It will not take to long to get it, unfortunately :(

i'm now running 239 with MP of 11 so 2629 MHZ
Memory is at 239*2*2=956
Dunnow if that is bad 956 at 800ddr
The higher it wil go the better i think??

True but to high of RAM with to tight of timings (lower timings) can cause problems with the OC.

So its stable at this Speed? Interesting.

short term stable 7 minutes ofprime 95, have to test longer but with new cooler so i have to wait.

Have you set all the common values manually as outlined in the AM2 Guide? Just want to be sure you're not letting anything float that might be messing up your OC.

Also, when you tested the clock speed was the RAM and HT Link also turned down ...?

i did put my HT link at 600 so that wil be 3x and did set the RAM at 400.
Had choices 333-400-533. It's ddr2 800 so chose 400 in bios, set voltage of ram at 1.85 (spec from OCZ) and timings at stock. But at 242FSB system starts and at 243 black screen.
When I have higher FSB speeds my screen seems to be a bit flickering (shivering or whatsoever) But the rest seems normal, it's only at the BIOS screens not in windows.
And yes i have locked PCIE bus at 100MHZ.

Another question, would it be better to OC my HD4830 with Rivatuner or at the BIOS???
Can get 675-990 with Rivatuner with ease.

Third question, nTune from Nvidia doesn't seem to read my clockspeeds an gives me no option of fan control, zomeone an idea???
Should have bought an Amd Chipset MOBO, but when i bought my components they were out of stock. Only Nvidia boards and didn't wanted to wait two days. Finally got wives approval for updating my rig.

Greetz.
Delchrys

If you had the RAM set to 400 for the test then that's probably what's holding you back. If the lowest choice you have is 333 then that's what you should be using to test the clock's top end speed. Even at 333 you're still running over DDR2-800 speeds when the clock is over 242 MHz.

The System Clock
The system clock is part of what governs the speed of the HT Link, CPU, and (indirectly) RAM:
HT Link = clock x (HT Link multiplier)
CPU speed = clock x (CPU multiplier)
RAM speed = CPU speed / RAM ratio

If the clock is increased these other components will also speed up. While this is critical for overclocking, it also imposes a problem for testing. Our goal here is to find the highest stable setting (the "top end") of the system clock, but we need to keep the other components at or below their stock speeds during the test. If other components are also overclocked then how do we know the system clock has failed and not something else? To avoid this complication make these changes in BIOS and reboot:

System Clock: 210 MHz
CPU Multiplier: 6X
vCore: no change
RAM ratio: 200 OR 400 OR 1:2
vDIMM: no change
RAM timings: no change
HT Link: 3X
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5567166&postcount=2

Hi all,

i'm new to this forum and new to overclocking, i've read many thread about OC'ing but i have some problems.

Here are my PC Specs:

Asus M4n78-AM Mainboard
Amd Phenom X4 9650 Proc @2300 Stock
Stock CPU cooler - waiting to be replaced.
OCZ Reaper 2x2GB 800MHZ (OCZ2RPR8004GK) @ 5-5-5 1.85V
Sapphire Ati Radeon HD4830 512MB DDR3 @700/995MHZ
OnBoard sound
2 x WD SATAII 160GB HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I've started overclocking my system with the help of the forum thread OC'ing an AM2: An update to Easy 1, 2, 3,:

It worked out very well but i still have some questions:
Setting multiplier by 8 (minimum of BIOS)
Determined max FSB = 242 MHZ
When i go higher my system will not start

Is there anything i can do to get an higher FSB??? with my Max MP of 11,5 i can only get to 242X11.5=2783MHZ but i think there's maybe more possible.
I don't think my BIOS support OC'ing Northbridge, i can't find the voltage or multiplier settings. Only came up with chipset voltage (don't know what this mean)

with FSB at 242 system is still stable so i think my memory can handle this also, did'nt determine max RAM Speed because of limitation FSB.

I know i can't expect much of my MOBO but maybe there's something i'm missing.

I left the Ram at 400, so multplier would be 1 so Ram should be at 242*2=484*2=968. No problems after P95 (7 minutes) at stock timings and voltage of 1.85V

Because i still have stock AMD cooler couldn't pump voltage more on VCore than +50mv (HEATWALL). Damnit but still searching for the right cooler. Silent and cool. Maybe some ideas, anyone???? Very difficult cause of heatsinks from OCZ Reapers.

Anyone please can give me some advise???
I Love free performance.

Greetz Delchrys. From The Netherlands (sorry for my English)

Does your board have a recent BIOS that supports the newest AMD CPU's? If so why not just get a Athlon II X4 620 and you will get a heck of a better OC than with that old Phenom.

All you can do is increase the north bridge voltage max out the fsb voltage ,,

You can go higher then,, gl

i can't increase voltage of NB so i think i'm stuck at 243 FSB. Darn. But another question, when i have 243FSB*11MP i get 2673MHZ clock speed but my RAM is doing 243*2*2=972MHZ i guess this is to high due to some instability at Prime95. So when i lower my RAM Speed at Bios to 333 i get 333/200=1.665*243*2=810MHZ, is this better or should i seek something in the middle? With 810mhz Ram i haven't OC'd my RAM very much. Maybe i need to go a bit lower FSB with an MP of 11.5.

Anyone some ideas??

972 MHz is topping out DDR2-800 RAM at it's stock timings. I'm not sure what P95 has to do with it. :shrug:

You can always loosen the timings a notch but you're better off with the tighter timings and lower RAM speed ...

how can i test if my ram is stable then???
And lower RAM speed and tighter timing is better performance than higher Ram Speed??
Can i tighten timings more than stock?? 5-5-5-15? OCZ2RPR800 at 1.85V

Unless you do a lot of video encoding, Photoshop, CAD, or some other app that moves around very large data chuncks then, yes, tighter timings are better then speed.

It's doubtful you can tighten the timings more than stock but sometimes it's possible ...

so i need to get higer RAM speed then?
But how do i bench if my RAM can take the speed.
Prime95 or memtest or something else?

so i need to get higer RAM speed then?
Unless you do a lot of video encoding, Photoshop, CAD, or some other app that moves around very large data chuncks then tighter timings are better then speed.

But how do i bench if my RAM can take the speed.
Prime95 or memtest or something else?
I mis-understood your earlier statement. Obviously we have a language barrier to overcome.

Prime95 is fine for testing system stability up to a point. Prime95 doesn't become unstable, the system becomes unstable. Testing RAM stability by itself is almost impossible.

You bench to measure performance. You test for stability. When a bench program is used for testing stability it is only important to know if the system passes or fails ...

damn language barriers!! :)
I do mostly gaming on my machine, in the winter i'm mostly video editting.
I leave that for winter times so i can edit my summer holiday videos.
So i'm going to end up with two different OC settings, one for gaming and one for video editting.

Back