• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VOLT MOD - PENCIL MOD - HARD MOD FOUND!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for this thread! Shua, all, is the EP35-DS3L the same? I just got mine.

I have already posted pics of this board. The layout is different. See the bottom of page 6 of this thread for the pics and hanks response.

I have everything in and working stable....

Ep35-DS3L with an e7200 at 3.8 ghz.

Voltage is 1.4 in the bios....cpuz reads 1.36 idle and drops as low as 1.328 under load. I would like more stable voltages, but temps are fine for me and I haven't had time to figure out the vmod for this board. Please start a thread for the board with pics if you do get the vmod for the EP35-DS3L working. Maybe you'll get a sticky too!

Measure the areas i told you to on page 6. Look for the voltage that you see on your CPU when its not under load and when it is under load. you will measure both sides of the resistor. I think 2 resistors will be inline with each other with a ground point and a positive point. Its kind of hard to say what one it is with out poking around it my self. Note this runs with a risk trying to find it. its such a small area its hard to poke around. You could short out something.

ok guys, actually found this thread from Google :)

Sorry its my 1st post....but since this is something useful...why nt :)
Actually I have gt an EP31-DS3L a few days back and was fighting with it to get to 3.6Ghz stable on my Q6600 and the huge vdroop was a big downer :(

Now bumped into the thread and found that no solution is yet available for the ISL 6334 based EP35-DS3L and EP31-DS3L....looked into the mod pics of the vanilla P35-DS3L and the usual spec sheets of the ISL 6312 (old) and ISL 6334(new).Had some high resolution shots of my mobo , and so figured out the pencil mod :)....I knew it could be hit and miss but still went on and tried it. Bingo and I was 100% correct on finding the correct resistor and its working 100%

Here the pic and explanation of the mod

About the Results here it is :

Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz
Pre Pencil mod :

Bios --- 1.5375 V
Idle --- 1.49V
Load(OCCT 4 cores) --- 1.42V

Post Pencil mod

Bios --- 1.48 V
Idle --- 1.44V
Load(OCCT 4 cores) --- 1.41V

Hope this helps :)

Oh and ya thnx to all the blokes for the original P35-DS3L mod w/o which this wouldn't have been possible :)
Also should I rather create a new thread for this :p

Thanks,
Supra/Regenade

Last edited:
For the hard mod, there's a better place to make the solder joints than as shown in the previous post.

If you do it like this, it's much easier than trying to solder onto one of the really tiny resistor pads, you've got a bigger pad to use for both the connections.

It's easy enough to use a multimeter to confirm that this point is actually connected to the resistor we're interested in on your board, in case it's not on a different version of the board, for example.
(I just cropped and edited your original photo rather than take a new photo, so credit where credit's due for the photo, btw, thanks.)

hardmod2.jpg

Cool thanks for the post and welcome to the forums. If someone can do this and confirm it I will post it on the front page.

(a pic to go with would be a plus!)

Vis asked a question on the last page about which ohm setting to change his multimeter to. I am assuming that your link didn't help since it didn't help me :)

Which to set it to? Or does it just change the decimal placement haha.

Awesome thread by the way. Incredible, I read every page! I knew little about the vmod and now I feel ready to break my 3.6 barrier :)

Success! I penciled from 1850ohms to 800ohms.

Before:

1.5v bios
1.455 idle
1.392 load

AFTER:

1.5v bios
1.488 idle
1.472 load

Hank, you are a god among men.

I salute you.

I'm here to just confirm, that this mod (pencil) works on GA-P31-DS3L motherboard(don't remember revision, think is 2.0), after it i got no more vdrop uder load

still there is little 0,02v drop from bios settings (like i got 1.32 and it is 1.30) but i think its mobo issue

Greetings from Poland and thx for this mod!
:)

I have the Gigabyte EP35 DS3 motherboard. Will the hard mod work on this? The layout is different so i wonder what pins to follow from the ISL chip?

Maybe somebody knows this?

thanks for any advice

/R

Hello guys!
first post!

1. except the pencil mod can i solder a trimmer to ground?

2. do you know where is a vmem or vdimm measure point?, or if you have a vmem or vdimm vmod it would be a good idea!

Thank you!

Hello guys!
first post!

1. except the pencil mod can i solder a trimmer to ground?

2. do you know where is a vmem or vdimm measure point?, or if you have a vmem or vdimm vmod it would be a good idea!

Thank you!

Dont know If you saw the really poor pics of the hard mod. It would work best.

As for the Vmem mod how much juice do you need?

First try and got it down to 800 ohms with a .016 vdroop instead of .05 from before. One thing I did noticed was that the idle voltage dropped from 1.36 to 1.344 after I penciled the resistor. I'll shoot for 600ohms next and hope that I get closer to zero vdroop.

Edit: I can't seem to get any lower than 800ohms. Maybe I need to get a 1HB pencil.

Last edited:
FSB

Are mods for get more fsb voltage? How can I give voltage to fsb more than +0,3v?.I want to hit 1700-1800 fsb.But I did max 1600fsb with 0,3v.My processor is İntel Q9300 (2,5@3,0)(400*7,5=3,0).İs there any mod for getting more fsb voltage or more fsb freqence?.

Back