• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Disk Error Reported In Event Viewer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I was looking in event viewer >> system and came across loads and I mean loads of entries for a disk error now today I did a disk check and it reported the volume was clean.

This is the info window and what it says

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I am wondering if my HDD is Hard Disk 0 I have a internal multi card reader and use the front usb port for my pen drive. How can I find out what HardDisk5 is.

I am experiencing now hard disk errors no crashes but would like to pin point the problem to cross out the possibility that its not the HDD.

Last edited:
Thankd Red my pagin file was handled by XP so I decided to set it manually see if that would help min 1533 to max 1533 currently it's 1.5gb which is ok.

A lot of them fixes resulted in a paging file error incase it was my HDD but there was 1 person who could have come up with the answer. I did attached my mobile phone via USB cable to pass over a picture I didn't use the safety remove tool so maybe thats what it's reporting.

Usually means the ATA cable or HDD is on the fritz.

I hope to god it isn't I've only had this HDD for a 11 months my PC was built and finally working in October as I was purchasing 1 part at a time. Hopefully I can RMA it and get another one but I am not experiencing an HDD errors from my C: drive I am thinking it was my mobile phone.

I hope to god it isn't I've only had this HDD for a 11 months my PC was built and finally working in October as I was purchasing 1 part at a time. Hopefully I can RMA it and get another one but I am not experiencing an HDD errors from my C: drive I am thinking it was my mobile phone.

AF,

As RJA stated, it could be a bad SATA cable too. I had a similar error (57) and replaced the cheap Asrock cable that came with my MB to a heavy duty Intel SATA supplied cable and it fixed the problem.

I'm only saying this because it's a quick fix if that is the problem and the other suggestions don't work. I never realized SATA cables fail but apparently they do. Try WD Diags too, it may give you other clues but I wouldn't panic about a failed HD yet.

Likely, it's because you unhooked and re hooked the ATA cable a lot.

I gotten "Delayed write failed" before, because I F-ed up a PATA IDE cable.

Also, the messages in the event log often are because you inserted a CD and there's difficulty in reading a CD.

Crazy, I just started noticing this error on my HTPC a few days ago. Sometimes it shows at random times in the log and I'm not getting it nearly as much as AngelfireUK83. But, other times over the past couple of days the Event Viewer will show this error (Paging error) at regular one hour intervals (to the exact second).

I was inside of the case on Monday/Tuesday fudging around with trying to reset the board after I thought a BIOS update killed it. As soon as I'm done copying my data over I'll check to see if any of the cables are loose. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it would happen at exactly one hour intervals? Thanks in advance.

Update: when I came home last night I saw a BSOD with the message "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" and it referenced 0x0000007A. I looked up the error and found this site and I'm currently booted off of the recovery console and running chkdsk /r to see if my hard drives check out. I'll replace the SATA cables once that's done.

ps. sorry about hijacking this thread.

Update: when I came home last night I saw a BSOD with the message "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" and it referenced 0x0000007A. I looked up the error and found this site and I'm currently booted off of the recovery console and running chkdsk /r to see if my hard drives check out. I'll replace the SATA cables once that's done.

ps. sorry about hijacking this thread.

Ben,

You didn't hijack!

Check my post just made here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5587631&postcount=29

And this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=556551

I think it's bad news, HD failing, at least in my case. If you have a WD hard drive, run the WD Diags Extended Test. I have been monitoring mine with that program and Spinrite 6. I had the same "Stop Error."

You can prolong and nurse it along by running chkdsk /r then reboot but I think it's only a temporary fix for the inevitable. I have not finished running Spinrite on it in an attempt to rewrite the data and mark the sector(s) as "Bad." My advice is to backup whatever you have while you can still boot but, IMHO, I think eventually it's terminal hard drive failure. If you lockup your rig it's probably because there was data on a bad sector, hence the message.

The screen shot shows the WD Diags window. It's a warranty covered issue in my case but it's still a PITA.

Attachments

• WD Diags.JPG
    WD Diags.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 7,562
BenBaked you didn't HiJack the thread it's a problem that you have noticed and thats where discussing. I haven't had the problem since I have not connected my mobile phone to my PC I replaced my SATA cable with a brand new 1 just in case.

Still no errors reported by CheckDisk I now take my memory card out and put it in a adapter to use with my internal card reader just to be sure.

That's a typical Western Digital HDD failure. They love to give bad sectors left and right, especially ones from 1996 and 1995 and have bad "Raw Read Error Rate" attribute values.

That's a typical Western Digital HDD failure. They love to give bad sectors left and right, especially ones from 1996 and 1995 and have bad "Raw Read Error Rate" attribute values.

What are Maxtor like for errors?

Speaking of WD drives my friend had a 120GB SATA-II drive for 6 months and it died wouldn't show up in BIOS so have to RMA for a repair.

I disconnected the SATA cable from my Seagate 250GB drive last night and switched cables around with my WD 250 GB, then ran the WD diags. It immediately said SMART failed on the drive, but it didn't say what in SMART failed. It passed the extended test, but shortly afterwords I tried playing a DivX stored on the drive and about thirty minutes into it the whole machine froze, shortly before that it was hiccuping and Event Viewer showed several JRAID timeout errors.

Anyways though, I shut it down, disconnected the WD drive, reconnected the Seagate drive, and started installing Windows onto the Seagate. I'll see if these errors come back.

I disconnected the SATA cable from my Seagate 250GB drive last night and switched cables around with my WD 250 GB, then ran the WD diags. It immediately said SMART failed on the drive, but it didn't say what in SMART failed. It passed the extended test, but shortly afterwords I tried playing a DivX stored on the drive and about thirty minutes into it the whole machine froze, shortly before that it was hiccuping and Event Viewer showed several JRAID timeout errors.

Anyways though, I shut it down, disconnected the WD drive, reconnected the Seagate drive, and started installing Windows onto the Seagate. I'll see if these errors come back.

Ben,

It's possible our errors may not be entirely related since you have RAID. I know the message is somewhat obscure but WD Diags "Extended" specifically stated a couple sectors are bad on mine as did Spinrite. My Event Viewer stated "fdisk" and "disk" earlier. I replaced the SATA cable some time ago hoping that was the problem but apparently it's not entirely. I don't have a RAID setup. Good luck with yours, I've already ordered a gravestone for my Raptor. :)

Ben,

It's possible our errors may not be entirely related since you have RAID. I know the message is somewhat obscure but WD Diags "Extended" specifically stated a couple sectors are bad on mine as did Spinrite. My Event Viewer stated "fdisk" and "disk" earlier. I replaced the SATA cable some time ago hoping that was the problem but apparently it's not entirely. I don't have a RAID setup. Good luck with yours, I've already ordered a gravestone for my Raptor. :)

I'm not running a RAID setup, I just have my hard drives plugged into the ports on the motherboard that are driven by the Gigabyte GBB38X controller. I question the reliability of this WD hard drive, I took it from my boss' iMac G5 last year after it messed up on him (OS X was showing the hard drive as filled to capacity, although in reality it was only about 20% full and the OS X utilities I tried to use on it such as DiskWarrior and Disk Utility did nothing but griped at me; also last year I had this drive in my Athlon and one day on bootup it made very loud clanking noises that disappeared after a cold reboot). I'm actually hoping that the WD drive is the source of the problem and not my motherboard. These latest blue screens started occurring after I tried to update my BIOS to version F8c (a beta) and it wouldn't boot with my Celeron at its default 12X multiplier, I had to fight with the board to get it to reset and then it would boot with an 8X multi by default. I was able to flash the BIOS back to F7, which had ran fine for months, and it was once again able to boot successfully at the 12X multi after a CMOS clear, but these blue screens appeared shortly after. That's all probably coincidence, or at least I hope it is.

I'm going to buy a new hard drive, they're certainly cheap enough these days. :)

I'm going to buy a new hard drive, they're certainly cheap enough these days. :)

Ben,

I agree. I'm more curious to see how reliable WD Diags is compared to Spinrite which I have been using for years. Otherwise I would pull this Raptor now and send it back RMA.

The problem is I can't do a drive image from a source drive that's failing..........as far as I know. WD Diags won't let me do it.

What are Maxtor like for errors?

it died wouldn't show up in BIOS so have to RMA for a repair.

That's actually a common problem with the slim Maxtor HDDs, if your model code looks anything like 6E0xxxx. The typical symptoms for 6E0xxxx are:

1. It has strange stuttering when scanning it.

2. It's slow to become ready before the OS loads when you turned the PC on.

3. It disappears from the BIOS.

Well I've been running all day with a fresh install of Windows on my Seagate, and the WD disconnected from the computer. Event Viewer shows no errors, and I've had no problems with the system. At the risk of being premature it looks like the WD drive was causing my issues.

I was looking in event viewer >> system and came across loads and I mean loads of entries for a disk error now today I did a disk check and it reported the volume was clean.

This is the info window and what it says

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I am wondering if my HDD is Hard Disk 0 I have a internal multi card reader and use the front usb port for my pen drive. How can I find out what HardDisk5 is.

I am experiencing now hard disk errors no crashes but would like to pin point the problem to cross out the possibility that its not the HDD.

Hard disk 5 will be in disk management. Disks are numbered on the left starting with 0, disk five is most likely a removable drive.
I am also having disk errors with my Freeagent drive.

Back