• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "Which fan is best for my heatsink" thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Honestly, you are not giving it enough heat to work with...

With load temp in the 50's you are not going to see a big difference. That's fine if that is what you run everyday, but I JUST went from a Zalman 9500 to a Big Typhoon and the difference from a 50CFM fan to a 150CFM dropped my temps by 10C under load, while the 50CFM only gave -2C from the Zalman. (Honestly the Zalman surprised me!)

e.g.

Ambient = 19C
ORTHOS Small - FFT's

Zalman 9500
1.456V load: 55/55

BT 50CFM
1.456V load: 53/53

BT 150CFM
1.456V load: 51/51

Only a 2C drop each time, however, throw more heat at it...

Ambient = 19C

Zalman 9500
1.536V load: 66/66

BT 50CFM
1.536V load: 64/64

BT 150CFM
1.536V load: 56/56

tl;dr
Good job. More volts + Big fan = More obvious cooling. 150CFM fans HURT.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured that already, Hazaro. That's why I am going to repeat the tests with a Q6600 installed instead of the E6750. That should up the heatload a bunch.

This is so useful, thanks muddocktor! :)

I'm more than a little bit surprised to see the Noctua drop only ~2° after reducing speed. I've heard they're *impossible* to hear when they are on low, is that true?

If you put your ear right up to it you can still hear it, but I can guarrantee you that it will be inaudible inside your case with the case side on with the low speed adapter installed inline on the fan.

I haven't forgotten about round 2 either. I sorted my issues out with my main rig and dropped the Q6600 into this test rig and worked it up to a 3510 MHz overclock. At load, I figure it's at around a 170 watt heatload, so it should really put the fans and U-120 to the test. I installed it with AS5 this time instead of Ceramique as I wanted to get the best possible installation this time since it's probably going to stay in this rig crunching. I've been letting it run and doing some thermal cycles the last few days in order to get the AS5 bedded in. But I will try to repeat my fan runs some time this weekend and see if the results differ much with the greater heatload.

Yeah, I figured that already, Hazaro. That's why I am going to repeat the tests with a Q6600 installed instead of the E6750. That should up the heatload a bunch.

Or you could always chuck more volts into your chip ;)

Thanks for the work Mudd!!!

Subscribed!

Someone should lend him a Slipstream 800rpm fan if anyone has one.

Also, Mudd would it be possible for you to create a graph demonstrating your observations based on noise? I know its totally subjective, but maybe a 1-10 scale would be really helpful for those of us trying to find the best price/noise/performance ratio.

Thanks again for your work. I look forward to seeing these fans on the "Mudd Scale".

"I give the SS 4 Mudds, the YL 6 Mudds..." etc ;)

Last edited:
"I give the SS 4 Mudds, the YL 6 Mudds..." etc ;)

The scale should be open to both ends, so 0 Mudd would require a fan to be inaudible during a quiet conversation. Everything louder goes into the positive range, with the silent fans moving into negative.
A Noctua would possibly score -10 Mudd for being as quiet as a whisper. A Delta would probably have 37 Mudd for being louder than a political discussion. :santa:

A vacuum cleaner scores 50 Mudd. :bday:

The reason i ask for sound info is that I'm buying 5 fans for my case... 2 on the front, one on the back, and 2 for my Tuniq Tower. I want to just put in 5 slipstream 1200s, but I'm afraid it'll be too loud, so I'm trying to figure out if i should mix it up with some 800s too.

Last edited:
Hey guys...I just got a TRUE with a Scythe Slipstream (I got the high speed version and a sunbeam controller to slow it down a hair, though it's not horribly loud as I thought it might be)

I'm just wondering if people have compared push versus pull and which works out better with those fans on a TRUE or similarly finned HS (if anyone has).

I'm just wondering if people have compared push versus pull and which works out better with those fans on a TRUE or similarly finned HS (if anyone has).

It's a little bit Off-Topic, but push is more effective than pull. A push-pull combo (with 2 fans) is the most effective thing, but not by much. Two push fans shouldn't work very well, maybe try it out yourself?

The reason i ask for sound info is that I'm buying 5 fans for my case... 2 on the front, one on the back, and 2 for my Tuniq Tower. I want to just put in 5 slipstream 1200s, but I'm afraid it'll be too loud, so I'm trying to figure out if i should mix it up with some 800s too.

I agree some sound testing would be nice if it would not be too much trouble.

Appreciate your work mudd, and you have pm. :)

I decided to place my order:

3x SlipStream 800rpm for case (2 in front, one in back)

1x Accelero S1 (for 8800GT)

2x packs (8 each) of Thermaltake copper ramsinks (for 8800GT)

4x Yate Loon SLs (2 for Tuniq Tower, 1 for Accelero, and 1 extra because of deal)

I ordered everything from case-mod except the YLs, which are from Petra's.

It should all be in by Wed of next week (19th), ill let you all know my the end of the weekend how things go!

PS - thoughts about my order?

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this for a while. I had to go to work about 1 1/2 weeks ago so testing was suspended. But I should be getting back in from the rig in a day or so, so I will be starting my quad testing in the next few days.

BTW, ancalime was good enough to buy a Zalman ZM-F3 fan for this round of testing for me. My hat is off to him for volunteering to buy the fan for this round of testing. :beer:

I started my second round of testing with the quad this time today. Hopefully I can finish this up by tomorrow evening and post some results.

I finally got finished the new round of testing and the results were a bit different this time. With an overclocked Q6600 in the system instead of the E6750, my heat load rose from around 125 watts to around 177 watts according to this page, and I don't derate to 88% like is suggested on that page due to that page not being updated since the introduction of the Core Architecture processors (it's based on the Netburst Architecture). I also monitored and logged case temps as read by the onboard temp sensors on the GA-P35-DS3L mobo with Speedfan. I know that those sensors aren't the most accurate in the world but they are better than nothing and should show any differences in monitored temps during the tests even if the temps are not absolutely right. I used an average of the case temps as logged for figuring my C/W values. Also, I used the linked page to give me some C/W values for the Ultra 120 with each different fan installed.

Also, there was a new fan test addition in this round of testing. ancalime was nice enough to buy and ship me a Zalman ZM-F3 case fan for this round of testing and I do appreciate it man. :thup: BTW, it held up very well in testing too.

Once again, the heatsink was not removed or otherwise disturbed during the testing; just the fans swapped out. Here are the results I recorded in this round of tests.

quadcorefantestexceldatbe3.jpg

quadcorefantesttempcharzx2.jpg

quadcorefantestcwrc9.jpg

Some further data for you to know:
I had 3 fans have a worker thread error during the tests, and they correspond to the fans with the worst average temps recorded. The Noctua NF-P12 had worker thread #3 error out 15 minutes into the Prime95 torture test, running large in-place FFT's. The Scythe SY1225SL12M Slipstream had worker thread #3 error out 14 minutes into the torture test (same test as before). And the Yate Loon D12SM-12 had worker thread #4 error out at 17 minutes into the torture test. When these errors occurred, I cut off the temp monitoring at that point, since the processor wasn't outputting maximum heat and averaged the temps from that point. However, I've been running the Noctua fan on the U-120 for the last 30 hours or so while running Seti with no problems at all, so I imagine that in normal usage even these three fans would be adequate for cooling on an U-120 at this heat load.

There were a few surprises in this round of testing for me. The first was how much difference the extra 50 watts or so of heat dump into the Ultra 120 made it kind of marginal for my cooling needs. I forsee another Ultra 120 Extreme purchase in my future as soon as I can afford to buy one. Another surprise was how much better the noisy Sunon fan performed with the U-120 when it was struggling to get rid of the extra heat from the Q6600. It was by far the best performer of the fans this time around, but is still too damn noisy for me to live with in 24/7 usage. Much better choices for 24/7 usage would be the Panaflo M1BX, Panaflo L1BX, Zalman ZM-F3, Delta EFB1212LE and the Scythe SFF21F S-Flex. As a matter of fact, the Scythe even beat out the two Panaflo fans by a little bit, which surprised the heck out of me. I din't think a 25mm thick fan could outperform a 38mm thick fan in the same flow ranges and the M1BX actually is rated for about 20% higher cfm. The Zalman also had a little better C/W value than the two Panaflo fans.

I will do some experimenting tomorrow and see if I can record a 10 second clip of each fan running and post it here for everyone. That way you can actually hear the noise (or lack of) from each different fan.

Thanks Muddocktor.:beer:

I think I need more coffee to soak all this in. 25mm beat out the 38's by a little? Huh.

You could possibly simulate the slower S-Flex models by undervolting the 1600RPM model. If there are any odd undervolting sounds like motor ticking or whatnot you could note that but keep in mind that it would be from the undervolting and the stock model at that speed probably wouldn't show the same behavior. I'm in a tossup right now between Slipstreams for great dB:CFM or S-Flex for unbeatable durability with their high-quality bearing, I was considering two for my server case since the fans in it now at 1200RPM just make too much whooshing airflow noise and a bit of humming too. Cheap stock case fans from Coolermaster :p

How is the Zalman for noise?

I did some recording of all the fans this evening and converted the wav files to mp3, but I don't know how I will post them here since I have no space to upload the files to. I'm asking a buddy of mine if he can host them.

I also tested all the fans with running at low voltages and all the fans except the Sunon screamer would actually start and run with a little less than 5 volts fed to them. None of motors on them got particularly noisy either. And using the included speed reducing adapters the Noctua got almost silent and the Zalman got pretty darn quiet.

Here is the way I would rate the noise from the fans, from quietest to noisiest:

1. Noctua NF-P12 - quiet
2. Scythe SY1225SL12M Slipstream - quiet
3. Yate Loon D12SM - not quite as quiet, tied with S-Flex
3. Scythe SFF21F - S-Flex not quite as quiet, tied with Yate Loon
5. Zalman ZM-F3 - just a hair noisier than the YL/S-Flex, primarily higher pitch
6. Panaflo L1BX - just a hair noiser than the Zalman, primarily higher pitch.
7. Panaflo M1BX - moderately, more airlfow noise and higher pitch than L1BX
8. Delta EFB1212LE - moderately noisy, much lower pitch than all other fans, but definte blade popping noise.
9. Sunon KD1212PMB1-6A - very noisy, both in pitch and motor whine. Moves a crapload of air.

Back