• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 Vcore over 1.5v ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hajimesaito

Registered
Ok 1st time OCer, and I managed to get a stable system with the following settings.

Q6600 G0 2.4Ghz @ 9x333Mhz
Vcore - 1.45000v
PCIe Frequency - 100Mhz
Memory Multiplier - 1:1 Ratio 2x
Timings - 5-5-5-15-2T

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - Disabled
CPU Eist Function - Disabled
Loadline Calibration - Disabled

Prime95 - 8hrs testing with no errors
Core Temp:
Core0 - idle 42 - load 60
Core1 - idle 41 - load 59
Core2 - idle 40 - load 58
Core3 - idle 40 - load 58

On Intel Spec Finder, regarding the Q6600 G0 CPU, it says:

Thermal Specification: 71C
VID Voltage Range: 0.85v - 1.5v

So my question is, technically is it possible for me to up the OC to 400Mhz? I think doing so would make it shoot up past Vcore 1.5v, is it safe to go past that if the Core Tempt stays under 71C?

What about core temp, if I go past 71C would it fry the CPU? Or are these specification just a guide so I can do crazy stuff with it until it overheats and melt on me? lol

Next Step: 9x400Mhz 3.6Ghz
Then: Memory Timings to 4-4-4-12
Then: OC 2x HD3870 CrossfireX Cards

can any1 guide me to a good post on the forums regarding overclocking the memory? or should I just stick to 4-4-4-12 timings and call it a day?

any other tip you guys would like to throw at me? since im very new to the OCing business and would love to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

Cheers in advance
Haji

Ok 1st time OCer, and I managed to get a stable system with the following settings.

Q6600 G0 2.4Ghz @ 9x333Mhz
Vcore - 1.45000v
PCIe Frequency - 100Mhz
Memory Multiplier - 1:1 Ratio 2x
Timings - 5-5-5-15-2T

These are stock settings, your stock vcore should be way lower than that.

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - Disabled
CPU Eist Function - Disabled
Loadline Calibration - Disabled

Prime95 - 8hrs testing with no errors
Core Temp:
Core0 - idle 42 - load 60
Core1 - idle 41 - load 59
Core2 - idle 40 - load 58
Core3 - idle 40 - load 58

Your load temps are prety high for stock speed.

On Intel Spec Finder, regarding the Q6600 G0 CPU, it says:

Thermal Specification: 71C
VID Voltage Range: 0.85v - 1.5v

So my question is, technically is it possible for me to up the OC to 400Mhz? I think doing so would make it shoot up past Vcore 1.5v, is it safe to go past that if the Core Tempt stays under 71C?

What about core temp, if I go past 71C would it fry the CPU? Or are these specification just a guide so I can do crazy stuff with it until it overheats and melt on me? lol

I personally wouldn't take it too far above 70c. It won't fry anything a little higher, but it would probably not be so good for long term usage.

Next Step: 9x400Mhz 3.6Ghz
Then: Memory Timings to 4-4-4-12
Then: OC 2x HD3870 CrossfireX Cards

can any1 guide me to a good post on the forums regarding overclocking the memory? or should I just stick to 4-4-4-12 timings and call it a day?

any other tip you guys would like to throw at me? since im very new to the OCing business and would love to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

Cheers in advance
Haji

I run my G0 at 400x9 with 1.5150 volts under water and typically loaded under prime 95 I'm around 50c. When I had my tru120e I was around 70c at that speed.

HTH

:welcome: to OCF!

Yup. Its possible. The core architecture is usually safe all the way to 1.6- 1.62v for 24/7. Just be aware that the higher volts causes elctro-migration within the cpu, shortening its lifespan from the factory's projected 10 years to like 5-6 years. By then, you'll have a new computer anyways lol. The Q6600's are pretty resilient to heat. My Piece of S*** B3 idles at 60C and I haven't had any issues. Running Prime95, I'd say you'll safe with a full load temp of up to 75C. Realistically, no application is going to tax all 4 cores 100% like Prime95 does. Just keep that in mind ;)

Absolutely not. The CPU has a built in threshold of 100C. Once it hits that, it automatically shuts down. You can't fry the CPU really unless you take the heatsink completely off and somehow force the computer to run 5-10 seconds without ANY cooling on the CPU lol. And to melt the CPU, you'd have to get it hot enough to melt the PCB circuitry, which would probably be somewhere like 130C or so lol.

Core2 Quad Temperature Guide - this helps explain the temperatures of the Quads. A good read.

Core2 Duo and Core2 Quad Overclocking Guide

Memory Basics - this is a bit dated, but still good information to know.

It all depends on what kind of ratio you want to run. Do you want a 1:1 Ratio, 1:2, 5:4, etc? 1:1 means that the RAM is running the same speed as the Front Side Bus.

Thats what we're here for! Just make sure that you have a decent cooler on your CPU and that you have good airflow through your case. Are you still using the stock Heatsink? If you want to go for 3.6Ghz, you're going to need a decent - good cooler. The Stock HSF just won't cut it. IF you're going to overclock your RAM, try not to push more than 2.2v through it. Any more volts and you will start to need active cooling on them and without the right cooling, you could potentially fry your RAM. Airflow is very important. Without proper airflow inside the case, you'll be cooling the cpu with ever-increasing hot air. Not very effective, nor good. Any other questions, feel free to ask!

-Dave

Last edited:
Yes people have gotten the Q6600 up at 400x9. It just may not be possible with your set up, or it may. I think through the years it has pretty much been agreed upon here that it is really just luck when it comes to getting a great overclocking piece of hardware.

That said the GOQ6600 does seem to have a lot of potential as far as getting good overclocks as a whole.

As far as running at 400x9 I run my GO at that 24x7 with no problems. I do run it at a voltage over 1.5, as some do. The thing for my rig is that I have very efficient water cooling and pretty much idle in the 20's low 30's and stay in the 40's for load. This is with my fans throttled down. I also have additional cooling on other components like the north bridge.

So like mentioned above the increase in voltage will increase your heat and there is usually a failing point related to heat under load.

The best thing to do is search here by motherboard, and CPU and see what others have for overclock in regards to what they use for voltage, cooling and what is considered high temps/voltage for your combo. Some of us have different tolerances as to what we will push through our gear.

As for memory it also may be model specific as to the approach so I would again search by item.

There is good advice and memory link in superdave's post above.

I will say that the best result would come from first getting your CPU/OC nailed THEN tweaking the memory. So loosen up the mem during the OC process.

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4,445
Last edited:
hey acid rain, can you PM your mobo settings for the Q6600 setup? i have the same CPU and mobo and can't seem to nail 3.6Ghz. I know that it is possible that my hardware just won't do it, but i would still like to try someone else's settings to see if maybe i missing something. thank you in advance.

you shouldnt need 1.45 to hit 3ghz. i am doing 3.2 on 1.35v

i have a dfi blood iron and a q6600 g0 that does 3ghz on stock vcore

nkresho, the stock FSB for a G0 quad is 266, not 333. He is running it at 3ghz (9x333), hence the higher vcore.

I totally overlooked that. I saw the 2.4 before the bus speed and thought that was it. I still think that vcore should be a little lower though.

I'm pretty sure I was able to get to 3ghz at stock volts (1.225), stable. And my chip is not that good of an overclocker. I can't, for the life of me, get stable over 3.7.

hey acid rain, can you PM your mobo settings for the Q6600 setup? i have the same CPU and mobo and can't seem to nail 3.6Ghz. I know that it is possible that my hardware just won't do it, but i would still like to try someone else's settings to see if maybe i missing something. thank you in advance.

Here's mine. I can prime it for >12 hours with these settings: 400x9, memory @ 1:1.25 DDR2 1000 @ 5-5-5-15-30-2T. core: 1.5150, ram: 2.1, vtt: 1.49, mch: 1.52, Ich: 1.15, ichio: 1.5, gtlref: 68 and 68

HTH

That is way too high a voltage. 1.45 volts for 3 GHz. I made it to about 3.2 on stock voltage with stock Vdroop = ~ 1.19-1.21 Volts. I lowering your Vcore kills your overclocking, then something else is up.

thanks for the reply and tips guys!

I do think im running my Vcore a little high as well, everything i've read on the forum says that running a Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz never going past 1.3v, weird o_O

Also, i've read on the Sticky: Core2 Duo and Core2 Quad Overclocking Guide, that the new CoreTemp 2.6, you need to offset the Intel Core Temperature by 15C. Is this correct?

Basically for the past 2-3days I tried testing the Vcore from 1.1-1.3v, but none of them worked for me(it just wouldn't boot into windows, and would be resetted by BIOS). It only started to boot into windows from 1.375v, and I tweaked it slowly going up 1 notch everytime Prime95 reports an error. And thats when I came to the 1.45000v Vcore, thats the one that ran stable for 8hrs+ in Prime95.

My CPU Cooling is just the Thermaltake Big Water 760i, basically a heat sink attached onto the CPU with 500ltr/hr pump and 12cm Radiator w/ water cooled.
http://www.thermaltake.com.au/Products/LiquidCoolingSystem/CL-W0121/Bigwater760i.aspx

As for my case, its a Thermaltake Armor Plus Full Tower, its quite cool inside with good airflow, i'll try and post up some pictures and see if I can get some tips on making it better.

Cheers
Haji

..well.. every chip is different but might be someting wrong with ur mobo? just my opinion

Currently running 24/7 at 3.6Ghz with 1.525 Vcore and about 60°C under heavy load. Watercooling. Of course with the Vdroop, it is running at 1.43V actual. I'm going to go ahead a do a Vdroop mod to deal with than and see if I can't get it a little closer to 4Ghz.

Back