• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "Wolfdale gets Cross-Fired" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I pulled those numbers right off anandtech.

I guess my whole argument is moot then :(

Not to attack you but the money people on OCF (and elsewhere) spend on a few extra watts is nothing compare to the hardware costs, so extra wattage is really the last thing I (and I'm sure a lot of others) think about when looking at performance.

That said I respect your decision making criteria, point taken, so can we look at the performance now ;)

Not to attack you but the money people on OCF (and elsewhere) spend on a few extra watts is nothing compare to the hardware costs, so extra wattage is really the last thing I (and I'm sure a lot of others) think about when looking at performance.

That said I respect your decision making criteria, point taken, so can we look at the performance now ;)

Heh, I was never doubting the performance. Those numbers are great. I was just skeptical and trying to see them full circle by looking at all variables.

What kinds of temps do those new 2900s throw out by the way?

Slight OC at 802/900

Started OCing the 2 cards and nearly fell off my chair !!!

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 27 23.42.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 27 23.42.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 321
I pulled those numbers right off anandtech.

I guess my whole argument is moot then :(

I believe those numbers were total power draw not just the card. It is not hard to figure what a given model cards
max peak power draw will be just by looking at the PCIe Aux connectors.

A PCIe 1.x card, or a newer PCIe 2.0 card that is backward compatible with a PCIe 1.x slot, can pull a max of 75w
from the PCIe slot itself. A 6 pin PCIe aux connection can supply an additional 75w max and an 8 pin 100w max.
The latter are part of the PCIe design specs.

An 2900XT has a (1) 6 and (1) 8 pin PCIe aux connector so that is 75w (Slot) + 75w (6 pin) + 100w (8 pin) = 250w
max card power draw to stay within the PCI spec.

Viper

Hella nice numbers... looks like the Wolfdale contribution (cpu score 3892) definitely brings something to the party, but really, you likely WILL crack 20k.

That's some seriously sweet scores man, especially for the pricetag -- like $180 less than mine :cry: Guess my 19,300 run in Vista64 is gonna need to be updated shortly before you completely whallop my score!

That's ok though, I got XP installed over the weekend so I can knock down a 20K score on a Wolfie CF setup -- maybe even before you do :D :beer:

That's some seriously sweet scores man, especially for the pricetag -- like $180 less than mine :cry: Guess my 19,300 run in Vista64 is gonna need to be updated shortly before you completely whallop my score!

That's ok though, I got XP installed over the weekend so I can knock down a 20K score on a Wolfie CF setup -- maybe even before you do :D :beer:

I'm gonna slap two waterblocks on them tonight and see if I can push the core speed to 1000 Mhz....I must say I'm having a lot of fun with these cards

Can you run those 3870's with 4 x AA as well, I wanna see how they compare with mine with the AA on, as it is said that mine will fold under AA...allegedly ;)

I got almost nothing done this weekend as the fiance went missing her engagement ring :O so instead the entire house got pulled apart looking for it.

Yeah, still haven't found it :( But ought to have a chance to get some benches out tonight...

Oh No Alburquerque... You didn't pawn it for computer components did you? ;)

Seriously though, bad luck my friend. Hope you find it. Looking forward to the benchies.

Brollocks, you changed my mind about the 2900's. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Per your request, Brollocks: 4xAA-3DM06 run. VC clocks: 860/1300 (The cards will not tolerate 875/1400 with AA enabled. Not today, anyway.) CPU @ my standard OC since they aren't relavent for our purposes. (3.33Ghz, 10x)

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&XLID=0&UID=13741608 14103

Sorry no screenshots. Haven't been able to get it working since I replaced the video cards. :shrug:

No Crysis yet. :(

I happen to have done a benchmark last night at this cpu speed, and I see a drop of about 550 points with 4xAA enabled. (As a side note, a drop of 100 points with multi-monitor enabled. But you get to see the temps/voltage in real time.)

As posted elsewhere, @ 3.50Ghz/875RAM, VC 875/1400: ~15700 that's pushing it though. It will consistently run 15500 at stable settings.

Last edited:
Edit: Per your request, Brollocks: 4xAA-3DM06 run. VC clocks: 860/1300 (The cards will not tolerate 875/1400 with AA enabled. Not today, anyway.) CPU @ my standard OC since they aren't relavent for our purposes. (3.33Ghz, 10x)

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&XLID=0&UID=13741608 14103

Sorry no screenshots. Haven't been able to get it working since I replaced the video cards. :shrug:

No Crysis yet. :(

I happen to have done a benchmark last night at this cpu speed, and I see a drop of about 550 points with 4xAA enabled. (As a side note, a drop of 100 points with multi-monitor enabled. But you get to see the temps/voltage in real time.)

As posted elsewhere, @ 3.50Ghz/875RAM, VC 875/1400: ~15700 that's pushing it though. It will consistently run 15500 at stable settings.

So only about a 3.8 % drop in CPU score with 4 x AA enabled, that is great (y) , will see how my pair will do with AA enabled tonight

Last edited:
So with 4 x AA enabled my 3DMARK06 score dropped to this (15.6% drop :()... same OC speeds as before. Waiting to see how this dop compares to the cross-fire 3870's

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 28 21.41.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 28 21.41.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 83
Ok, so I can't get 4xAA to force itself no matter what I try. I've tried several times to get it working, but to absolutely no avail.

Clock-for-clock as best I can (I can't turn my ram down to 900 ;) ) here's what I did: 18,772

Looks like that extra ram bandwidth pays off :) Wish I could get my AA to stay set though...

Dang, makes me wish I had bought a 2900 Pro instead of my 3870 :bang head

Oh well, I do like that the 3870 draws on my PSU much less...runs and overclocks just fine on my FSP 500W. Would have had to buy a new PSU to run the 2900.

Dang, makes me wish I had bought a 2900 Pro instead of my 3870 :bang head

Oh well, I do like that the 3870 draws on my PSU much less...runs and overclocks just fine on my FSP 500W. Would have had to buy a new PSU to run the 2900.

Your PSU is just fine for one 2900Pro, for 2 you might need a beefier one.

Back