• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building your First evaporative cooling tower!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whoa!

i did the "improved design"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/Pro*Banshee/improvedbong.jpg

but its something i totally concieved on my own without a notion of this thread. you did have the theory first (if not the evap cooling god on procooling)
i just saw your post and saw the link in your sig to this.

ive found all its faults and worked all the bugs out of it.

someday ill do a writeup on it for you or at least share some info, because its been a secret untill this very day. yes, this is the general idea of my secret evaprative cooling. it is no where near as easy as it is in theory.

it got me all the way to here: http://www.oc-rev.com/forums//showthread.php?t=804
before it blew up in my face.

i still have it and if i ever build another big rig again, with watercooling-
ill implement all the lessons ive learned and changes i have yet to make.
it as alot harder in reality than in theory to make it effective.

but results? oh yeah.
ill vouch for it. i wouldnt run an evap cooler any other way.

THREAD RESSURECTION

What would be a good height for cooling a single computer....GPU and CPU.

2.5' or so?

jcw122 said:
THREAD RESSURECTION

What would be a good height for cooling a single computer....GPU and CPU.

2.5' or so?

i had about 5 foot above the wye (cooling chamber) and four below it (about a 2.5 gallon rez, good for a day and a half), and a 1 foot stub on the horizontal (helps heep mist in and noise down).
(mine flowed top to bottom)
basically the more below the wye, the more it holds, and the less you have to fill up.

the more above it, the better the cooling. ideally, you want more air exposure on the way down before it "plops" into the bottom.

more hangtime, and finer drops make a bong good. (in my design)

there are SO many setups though, and not all of them need to be 7' tall to be effective.

i reccomend checking out the wizards at procooling.
they have all sorts of stuff to look at while planning a design.

I had probably 3ft of drop (5ft overall height) and cooled 5F below ambient on an overclocked Barton af full load. In fact, it was the same whether I had the cpu at full load or the whole computer turned off. Water temp averaged around 5F below ambient depending on the relative humidity.
A well designed and constructed bong cooler can handle tremendous heatloads. I was going to do some peltier cooling with one and never got around to it.

Mustanley said:
I had probably 3ft of drop (5ft overall height) and cooled 5F below ambient on an overclocked Barton af full load. In fact, it was the same whether I had the cpu at full load or the whole computer turned off. Water temp averaged around 5F below ambient depending on the relative humidity.
A well designed and constructed bong cooler can handle tremendous heatloads. I was going to do some peltier cooling with one and never got around to it.
Is there any way you could resurrect the pics you linked to a LONG Time ago (about halfway up the page)??
And what was the design you had for your auto-filler?

OMG that is something I MUST BUILD before I go buying a radiator and wasting $100 on it

My question is in the "Y Pipe" does like Steam, vapor or water come out of it? I will be living in the dorms and I don't want to have problems with my roommate?

and about the dye... Hmmm... any ideas?

itstemo1 said:
OMG that is something I MUST BUILD before I go buying a radiator and wasting $100 on it

My question is in the "Y Pipe" does like Steam, vapor or water come out of it? I will be living in the dorms and I don't want to have problems with my roommate?

and about the dye... Hmmm... any ideas?

roomate? would have to be a geek and be into it and be very understanding. otherwise get a single.

its called a "wye" fitting, btw...

moisture does come out, but it depends on your setup.
i sealed brick dorm with no AC might be a bit of a concern.

it all depends...

and by the way, a 7 foot tall bong might be a bit tricky to explain to the man, so be ready for that...

I'm thinking of the idea too to use small maze stuff, I have no idea what its called in english, but its used to keep the flies out. make either cilindric or conic shapes out of it with a round spray nozzle in the middle spraying the water on (with great surface area, and extremely cheap)
I've seen someone mention it in this topic.
another option would be a number of paralel sheets sprayed from above.
as long as the base of the material is in the water, no splashing noise will bemade, I guess, so it must be silent..

and to have 8 of those little towers on top of your pc, could be themed as those old le-mans racers with 8 (and some even had 12) carburators on their engines...

(and also prevents me from having to have a huge bong in my room and having to drag that along to lan party's

Alternate design, and no I never build it yet, designed years ago by cooling engineer who worked in heavy industry site design.

Put here as reference & hopefully someday someone will try to build it.

The objective of this design are to have a compact bong that could be as large as a big PC casing at put it side by side with the PC, and the most important is to have a minimal noise of splashing water since the water is flowing at that large cooling plate with minimal noise rather than dripping from above like conventional bong design.

Second fan at the bottom is optional.

BOX BONG.png

Last edited:
Bing...I've seen that design in the other thread (which ever it was)...looking at it closer, I'm wondering whether or not there will be any "Condensed Water Dripping Zone"...Unless the surface up there is cold, I can't really *that* much condensation forming, I'd see more of it just being exhausted.

Still a very cool design.

Yeah, it was me who put the same pic at other thread on the idea of boxed bong, just don't want this design wasted or gone just like that, so I put another copy is this stickied thread.

Not sure though, since it was made by sketching at piece of paper, and currently its only in my head. It was many years ago ! ;)

You got a point there, but I remember he was talking bout reducing the water evaporation rate, not sure bout that since I don't have any experience in this bong cooling stuff, also imo by looking at it's shape at the top, that will prevent or at least reduce dust or other foreign object for getting/falling into the bong that will contaminate the water, and also sort of dampen the noise from the bottom at the splashing zone, but again take my words with grain of salt. :)

yeah, I was looking at that (and at my window, with the 'insect wire' in it) when I tought that up. (the carb style coolers)

isnt it smarter to put the bottom of the plate touching the water and eliminating the bottom fan? that way there is no splash noise.
also, more paralel plates would mean more surface area, thus better cooling. possibly a smaller enclosure for more cooling capacity

(its actyaly called 'film type fill' by the pro's, a film of water on a surface. the other option is 'droplet type fill', which is used by the tube bongs))

I'm gonna start experimenting soon, old case, proc and mobo, and if i find something that works well, i'll make it look good and put it in my 'good' case.

...great.. and don't forget to make a new thread for it ... and pics ! ;)

Edit : I'm interested with your paralel idea, just wondering hows the airflow ? Mind put up a simple sketch for it ?

Last edited:
just a number of paralel micro format cooling towers (side draft)
works just like the real thing.
(only computer fans might not like the moist so the drawn design might not be smart, also takes quite a lot of fans...)

another option would be (i'll draw that next) to have the 'tub' pressurised and closed up to the pvc rings (sorta like chimneys), this is how the real industrial units do it. powered by 1 fan for all units too

Attachments

• mesh 1.GIF
    mesh 1.GIF
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,245
Last edited:
I saved the image bing...maybe I'll try it someday when I can do WCing again.

Im gonna skip past standard water cooling and make a nice big bong for my next computer upgrade. I may try the idea of a box bong to go next to the case.

i havnt played in this thread in a while but i love all the new ideas.
KEEP EM COMING!

word to those just joining us -
evaporative cooling is 90% carefull thought of reality and physics, 5% parts and 5% carefull assembly.

those out to cheat simple physics will learn the hard way.

that said, its the road less traveled to begin with....

Back