• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"mega" fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That gold,brown,black,yellow should be read yellow,black,brown and gold ! :D

Bookmark this -> HERE to help you in the future on decoding resistor's colors.

That gold,brown,black,yellow should be read yellow,black,brown and gold ! :D

Bookmark this -> HERE to help you in the future on decoding resistor's colors.
Wow hay Bing can i barrow your brain for a hour or so lol Thanks for that link its bookmarked & I did have the wrong resistors in the wrong spots making a change now.. also I changed the Pot. & have added Yellow casing to the Diodes, & Green casings to the Capacitors then added a heat sink to the IC here is a quick pic hope i got it right. Check the 3rd image down from top and click it to enlarge I think thats the best one to represent the hook up.

Last edited:
Here some correction, hopefully it is correct now ! :)

Btw, what is the source/input voltage ? 12 Volts right ?

Breadboarding1.jpg

Oh yeah, with that 470 Ohm (Yellow,Violet,Brown,Gold) resistor instead of 360 Ohm from the schematic, the lowest voltage is about 6.1 Volts ! :)

Oh yeah, with that 470 Ohm (Yellow,Violet,Brown,Gold) resistor instead of 360 Ohm from the schematic, the lowest voltage is about 6.1 Volts ! :)
Thanks for the corrections:) I wanted to start out at 6v first to make sure the fans power up after that i will try the 360 ohm see if they power up.
Now for the test--->(with girlfriend reminding me its bedtime..I think she might want some hehe but no time for that now:clap:)
input will be closer to 13v I will get the multi-meter to check before trying it. Just checked the voltage its 13.71 now for the test. 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1- fire & its a go the fan is a 80mm 12v 0.25a and running strong lets try the Pot. before I do that I will say that the meter reads 6.11v out with the Pot turned max counter clockwise no lets up it.....Max volts out is 12.87 thats with Pot. turned clockwise max. Heat sink is cold.....

Last edited:
What does she want ? A lulaby ? LOLOL :D

Btw, you can crank up the pot to the max, meaning at maximum as input eg. 12 Volt so your fan will fires up at max speed, and then you can slowly turn the pot to slow it down.

What does she want ? A lulaby ? LOLOL :D

Btw, you can crank up the pot to the max, meaning at maximum as input eg. 12 Volt so your fan will fires up at max speed, and then you can slowly turn the pot to slow it down.

Yes up down it Works...I kept editing my previous post..
Bing I owe you one ...hay I got extras one complete set for you? I ship send me a PM I will even through in a monster fan for you to mess with.

........it Works.....

Yay..... ! Congratulations on your 1st electronic build and its working for the 1st time ! :clap:

The word for that feeling is "priceless" whenever you saw your 1st circuit worked for the 1st time, isn't it ? :D

Honestly, I feel happy too since it is also my own humble small achievement in helping you from the scratch ! ;)

Wow.. thank you for the generous offer ! :)

I just hooked up two extra identical fans to the rig so three identical fans running great ..low thru high perfect.. Now I would like continue and put two seperate units on two seperate pcb's each unit having 4 seperate pin headers for 4 hook-ups all this to fit into a drive bay so i can run 8 fans per computer..sounds like a fun project, I have the pcb and kit for etching a dremel & drill press stand all i got to come up with is the design to transfer to a computer and then Lazor printed on (can't think of it) special paper and go from there.

Yay..... ! Congratulations on your 1st electronic build and its working for the 1st time ! :clap:

The word for that feeling is "priceless" whenever you saw your 1st circuit worked for the 1st time, isn't it ? :D

Honestly, I feel happy too since it is also my own humble small achievement in helping you from the scratch ! ;)

Wow.. thank you for the generous offer ! :)
Bing I feel great but there is no way i could have done this with out your help, thanks please send me a pm I was serious about sending you a package with goodies:)

I just hooked up two extra identical fans to the rig so three identical fans running great ..low thru high perfect.. Now I would like continue and put two seperate units on two seperate pcb's each unit having 4 seperate pin headers for 4 hook-ups all this to fit into a drive bay so i can run 8 fans per computer..sounds like a fun project, I have the pcb and kit for etching a dremel & drill press stand all i got to come up with is the design to transfer to a computer and then Lazor printed on (can't think of it) special paper and go from there.

Sounds like a really "serious" project you're going to work on !

Remember, if the IC is properly heat sunk, it can deliver up to 7.5 Amps !

Also I'm about to post the 2nd revision for the circuit that will able to boost "momentarily" the output voltage at 12 V and slowly decrease it's voltage downto the adjusted level. Perfect for fan that has problem to startup at low voltage.

Btw, you have a really cool dedicated 12 Volt power supply there ! :thup:

Also I'm about to post the 2nd revision for the circuit that will able to boost "momentarily" the output voltage at 12 V and slowly decrease it's voltage downto the adjusted level. Perfect for fan that has problem to startup at low voltage.

Yes I would like to make the PCB I have 4pcs of Teflon 6" X 12" single sided 060 thick 1 ounce material i would like to use for the project, Where your design says "THICK WIRE/PCB TRACE" for the + & - lines could I just plan those traces on the PCB to be extra wide like 1/4 of an inch wide to accommodate the thick wire?
Yea that dedicated 12 volt power supply is pretty cool for testing, as it puts out more than 12 volts i have thought about throwing it into one of the computers i am building room permitting just for the fan controllers...ahah I have so many weird ideas one of them is to take a one or two ounce bar of Fine 99.9 silver smashing it at work under a 45 ton press in a mold designed with the same measurements as my Ultima-90 heat sink then carefully lap the silver both sides and then the ultima-90 apply Tim to CPU add silver then Tim to silver then attach heat sink for an experiment to see if its any better or worse I have two ultima-90 heat sinks new...just another one of my ideas for down the road.

Yes I would like to make the PCB I have 4pcs of Teflon 6" X 12" single sided 060 thick 1 ounce material i would like to use for the project, Where your design says "THICK WIRE/PCB TRACE" for the + & - lines could I just plan those traces on the PCB to be extra wide like 1/4 of an inch wide to accommodate the thick wire?

Even 0.5 cm or 5 mm PCB trace is more than enough, and remember that is bare cooper, later you can put layer of solder along those trace, and that makes it thicker and better for high current.

Now, before you start designing the PCB layout, another suggestion, you don't have to put big components like the LT1083 or the Potentiometer at the PCB since you can solder thick wire from the IC's leg to the PCB, and also I believe those Pots will going to be installed at some front panel right ? Btw, the cable for potentiometer doesn't have to be thick & stiff one, since only very low current passing it, you can use small non stiff multi stranded wire.

Also for those components footprints excluding LT1083 and the pot, those components resistors, capacitors & diodes all together can be placed on a PCB area less than 3 cm x 3 cm, don't you agree ? ;)

Just wait for few days, I will post the 2nd revision of the circuit so you can accomodate the new design into your PCB. Actually it is the same exact circuit, its just has one more resistor and a capacitor (biggger one) and few changes at two resistor values, and that extra components is "optional" to the existing circuit.

Yea that dedicated 12 volt power supply is pretty cool for testing, as it puts out more than 12 volts i have thought about throwing it into one of the computers i am building room permitting just for the fan controllers...ahah I have so many weird ideas one of them is to take a one or two ounce bar of Fine 99.9 silver smashing it at work under a 45 ton press in a mold designed with the same measurements as my Ultima-90 heat sink then carefully lap the silver both sides and then the ultima-90 apply Tim to CPU add silver then Tim to silver then attach heat sink for an experiment to see if its any better or worse I have two ultima-90 heat sinks new...just another one of my ideas for down the road.

Wow ? pure silver bars & 45 tons press machine ?

You really made me curious, I want pic once you've completed that project ! :drool:

Last edited:

Sounds perfect to me!

I have to say i was very happy when my controller worked after the build. Beaming i believe is the term. Its still going strong, and i run the fan at 5v most of the time.

Also, sandwiching silver between the heatsink and the cpu won't increase perfomance. its just more metal the heat has to pass through. if the whole heatsink was silver though, then it would make a differance.

Last edited:
Also, sandwiching silver between the heatsink and the cpu won't increase perfomance. its just more metal the heat has to pass through. if the whole heatsink was silver though, then it would make a differance.

Thats what i was thinking also but wasn't sure, I have bought a one troy ounce and a 2 troy ounce to do the experiment with leaning towards the one ounce first as it is really thin about 1/8 inch thick then after it gets under the 45 ton press to get its shape i think it would be like 3/16ths thick... I had thought about building a heat sink with a pure silver base, I have a 5 ounce and a 10 ounce bars.
pure silver or stearling silver heat pipes are expensive, i checked into the price of the pipes and it was real expensive, the way i thought about it was to have the base about 3 Troy ounces then build it up from there, silver soldering the silver heat pipes to the base then soldering the fins one at a time from the base up.. now looking into the parts for that build the pipes are the most expensive weight per weight.

Last edited:
Even 0.5 cm or 5 mm PCB trace is more than enough, and remember that is bare cooper, later you can put layer of solder along those trace, and that makes it thicker and better for high current.

Now, before you start designing the PCB layout, another suggestion, you don't have to put big components like the LT1083 or the Potentiometer at the PCB since you can solder thick wire from the IC's leg to the PCB, and also I believe those Pots will going to be installed at some front panel right ? Btw, the cable for potentiometer doesn't have to be thick & stiff one, since only very low current passing it, you can use small non stiff multi stranded wire.

Also for those components footprints excluding LT1083 and the pot, those components resistors, capacitors & diodes all together can be placed on a PCB area less than 3 cm x 3 cm, don't you agree ? ;)

Just wait for few days, I will post the 2nd revision of the circuit so you can accomodate the new design into your PCB. Actually it is the same exact circuit, its just has one more resistor and a capacitor (biggger one) and few changes at two resistor values, and that extra components is "optional" to the existing circuit.

Wow ? pure silver bars & 45 tons press machine ?

You really made me curious, I want pic once you've completed that project ! :drool:

Well i think the 45 ton press will work on the silver I smashed a penny to the size of a quarter in about 8 seconds :) pretty sure Silver is a bit softer than copper.
If i can get the Silver heat pipes I think it will be a goal to try to build a heat sink.
Yes Pots front pannel...
Not sure about the 3cm X 3cm I guess you could but i would prefer to design the pcb about 8cm X 6.5cm I want to be able to see the lines, my eyes arn't to good I really need to get glasses for close up viewing
I will wait a until you post your new design and then try it on the breadboard.

Last edited:
My Lucky Day !

..hay I got extras one complete set for you? I ship send me a PM I will even through in a monster fan for you to mess with.

Folks ! Look what I got from him !!!!:bday::attn::santa:

My 7 blades Panaflo is shivering at the mean 9 blades Sunon ! :D
Mean Sunon.jpg

Again, the Panaflo passed out, pwned by 3 new mean looking dudes ! LOL :D
Pwned Panaflo.jpg

The whole stuffs from this generous guy -> Amandpm247 !!! :clap: :thup:
Da Package.jpg

I'm speechless ! All I can say is .....

:clap: Thank You Very Much Amandpm247 ! :clap:

Last edited:
Thank You Very Much Amandpm247 ! :clap:[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Your Welcome Bing thanks for all your help and answers to my stupid questions lol
Man I wish i could take good photos like yours, I think i drink to much Coffee:)

Back