• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2900XT 1024Mb GDDR4 OEM Water Cooled Modded Test Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ViperJohn

Senior Radeon Mod God
Here are the final modded test results. The card is clocked 986/1197 in these tests and my
test rig is stuffing potatoes in the cards exhaust pipes lol.

Test%20Computer.gif

3DM01%203DM03.gif

3DM05%203DM06.gif

Aquamark%20Clock%20Gen.gif

Temps.gif

I would like to add that these 2900XT 1024Mb OEM cards were really sweet to work and behave
very well indeed.

Viper

Last edited:
Wow, those are nice scores for a card with crappy drivers and that is supposed to compete with the 8800GTS

EDIT: beats out the highest 8800GTS 3DMark06 HDR/Sm3 score that I've come across by like 700 points. (LINK)

Last edited:
Nice scores...
I read that the Maze4/5 does work with the HD 2900XT.

Is it possible to get a copy of the beta Rivatuner?

ECH said:
Nice scores...
I read that the Maze4/5 does work with the HD 2900XT.

Is it possible to get a copy of the beta Rivatuner?

Thats because their bases might not be machined to clear the shim which is about .005" higher than the
die. You would also get much higher GPU temp with them even if the base was machined to fit properly.

Sorry but no on RivaTuner 2.02. It is not ready for public domain yet. Only fan control and monitoring
are working at this point anyway. Unwinder is working on it so a full functioning RivaTuner with the
2900's should be out in not to long a time.

Viper

Last edited:
jivetrky said:
Wow, those are nice scores for a card with crappy drivers and that is supposed to compete with the 8800GTS

EDIT: beats out the highest 8800GTS 3DMark06 HDR/Sm3 score that I've come across by like 700 points. (LINK)

That GTS had a 4400 MHz E6600 behind it too.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Thats because their bases are not machined to clear the shim which is about .005" higher than the die.
You would also get much higher GPU temp with them even if the base was machined to fit properly.

Sorry but no on RivaTuner 2.02. It is not ready for public domain yet. Only fan control and monitoring
are working at this point anyway. Unwinder is working on it so a full functioning RivaTuner with the
2900's should be out in not to long a time.

Viper
I am not sure I understand you about the Maze4/5 :confused: But here is DD's website posting it. I wouldn't think he would do that if it wasn't getting full contact (if I understand you correctly).

ECH said:
I am not sure I understand you about the Maze4/5 :confused: But here is DD's website posting it. I wouldn't think he would do that if it wasn't getting full contact (if I understand you correctly).

The normal Maze4/5 have flat bases I believe and the WB base would land on the shim before the GPU die.
It is easy enough to make a shim clearance cut and DD may already have done that.

What that article was referring to was all the other place that need sinking when the the stock air cooler is
removed which is true. You have to take care of the memory chips, Vcore mosfets and the Vcore series
inductors when going to a fan less cooling solution.

What I do not like about full coverage blocks is they are always a compromise that give crap for GPU cooling
compared to a good normal water black. The "All in Ones" are also expensive and have a ZERO upgrade
path. Get a new model card and that expensive "All in One WB" becomes an instant expensive "All in One"
paper weight. You have to buy a new "All in One" for the new card instead of moving a standard WB and heat
sinks from the old card to the new card. Of course that is what most of the makers of "All in One" WB's like
about em lol. Rapid obsolescence means more sales dollars rolling in if they control their stock!!!

Viper

yeah, I've read that the shim will block the base of a block. I saw a picture where someone lapped down the edges of their block to clear the shim and get good contact on the core.

The Maze4/5 has a raised center contact area. I think it was designed for the x800 which I read had a gpu lower then the shim.
:confused:

yeah, looking at a picture of the maze5 on dangerden.com, it looks like the center is raised. no pics of the 4 though.

And actually the blognews on the front page of DD says the maze5's will fit the x2900XT

jivetrky said:
yeah, I've read that the shim will block the base of a block. I saw a picture where someone lapped down the edges of their block to clear the shim and get good contact on the core.

You have to remove .010-.012" of material to make sure you clear the shim on all cards. That is no lap job lol.

Viper

Last edited:
ECH said:
The Maze4/5 has a raised center contact area. I think it was designed for the x800 which I read had a gpu lower then the shim.
:confused:

Okay cool. I haven't looked at a DD WB in a heck of a long time. As long as the raised area is no larger than
1.180" square then it will fit inside the shim.

The 2900's use a 2.125" square 4 hole pattern and the holes in the PCB are 1/8". A water block that has
a 2.100" square, 4 hole pattern and uses 2-56 mounting screws will mount. If it uses 4-40 screws to
mount then you are hosed.

X800's didn't have any shim clearance issues. It was the 9700/9800 cards and not all of them had issues
either.

Viper

ECH said:
Gotcha. If I water cool how high can I go on the gpu before I need to alter voltage?

Awh the light just went on lol. Just needed some sleep.

That is really going to depend on the card and what die temps you are getting which of course is effected
by the WB, radiator and rad fans you are using. There really is no set answer for this as every card is
different plus the cooling variable.

Viper

Last edited:
99red said:
I believe hes asking how high you were able to get the core on stock volts

Hmmm to be honest I do not think I checked that lol. Remember to this is a 1024Mb OEM GDDR4
card and the cores on them are the cherries.

Viper

Thats nice... What type of OC's did you get on the v-modded card? Or is it that the 986/1197 score you got?

ViperJohn said:
Hmmm to be honest I do not think I checked that lol. Remember to this is a 1024Mb OEM GDDR4
card and the cores on them are the cherries.

Viper
where did u get the 1024 card, cant find it anywhere

omniskillz said:
where did u get the 1024 card, cant find it anywhere

The 1Gb cards are not available to Joe sixpack yet. The ones I got came from a OEM system
integrator/builder (ATI AIB partner) who wanted them modded out.

Viper

Back