• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Confirmation on BSEL pad mod for e4300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
brickout said:
Have you tried the 1333 mod yet?

My cheap board (ECS P4M800Pro) maxes out at 300. Also, I think the the guy at extremesystems.com said the 1333 mod doesn't work. Only if the board supports 333 FSB, I might give a crack at it but for now, I'm happy w/ 300.

Onward and upward

Thanks Doh, for getting some pics of the mod up here. Worth a 1000 words, as someone said. Yep, this mod feels the same as when we OC'ed Intel 300a's to 450 way back when.

I noticed a lot of enthusiasm here, for this mod. There should be. The E4300 is quite a chip. Getting it to dance faster on this Fry's ECS board is a double bonus.

I want to try my hand at doing a bios mod for this board, but that is easier said than done. I have some newer AMI bios tools. I tried to get a data sheet out of Via, but so far no luck. Hacking the right bit or two in the bios could do the same as this physical mod. Beyond that, If the chipset itself actually has the needed divider, a bump to 333 could work.

If anyone knows how to get a Via P4M800 (pro)? (ce)? northbridge data sheet, I might get into it.

Thanks highwire. You explained the mod procedure very thoroughly at anandtech & helped me to squeeze every penny out of this cheap combo.

You, along w/ Zap & the OCforums members I've mentioned previously deserve all the credit. I just followed the instructions and took some photos.

Good luck w/ the bios mod. It sounds like you know what you're doing (vs. I have no clue. I've tinkered w/ AMIBCP (various versions) to see if I can bump up the FSB but so far, no luck).

Would you say the OC'ed E4300 at 2.7Ghz is pretty close to E6400 or E6600 at default speeds?

doh0000 said:
Thanks highwire. You explained the mod procedure very thoroughly at anandtech & helped me to squeeze every penny out of this cheap combo.

You, along w/ Zap & the OCforums members I've mentioned previously deserve all the credit. I just followed the instructions and took some photos.

Good luck w/ the bios mod. It sounds like you know what you're doing (vs. I have no clue. I've tinkered w/ AMIBCP (various versions) to see if I can bump up the FSB but so far, no luck).

Would you say the OC'ed E4300 at 2.7Ghz is pretty close to E6400 or E6600 at default speeds?

the lack of the chache on the E4300 is pretty much not noticible... i mean in a program like Super pi 1m there will be a time difference, but if you were to take the e6600 outta my current rig in sig, and pop that in at the same clock speed as the e6600 im sure you wouldnt notice more than a 2-3% difference in say a cpu score of 3dmark06 or something of the sort. a E4300 @ 2.7 even on that board is pretty much faster than any thing amd has to offer, and its definetly faster than a stock e6400 and mabey with that board around the same as a e6600. i mean a 50% oc on probably the worlds worst c2d board... NOT BAD! i cant wait till they bring back the add... ill be on one like flys on poop!

congrats!

also, how stable is it at 300fsb? and is there a pci lock (not worried about agp lock :p)

AkumaX said:
congrats!

also, how stable is it at 300fsb? and is there a pci lock (not worried about agp lock :p)

Very stable at 300fsb. I've run the Orthos overnight & no problem so far. AGP/PCI is not locked as shown on pg. 2. At 300fsb, they're running out of spec. but only 13%.

doh0000 said:
Very stable at 300fsb. I've run the Orthos overnight & no problem so far. AGP/PCI is not locked as shown on pg. 2. At 300fsb, they're running out of spec. but only 13%.

i've run AGP out of spec all the way up to 106mhz a long time ago, so not worried about that :p

but im a little scared on the PCI bus; 37.6mhz, i've had hdd corruption issues start at 40mhz, but :D

Just a quick question for those who've already done the mod. Does the BSEL1 pad need to be taped off / isolated before you add the trace from the VSS pad?

no it doesnt since its already set to low if you by chance get some "paint" on it. it is not going to affect anything but you might want to tape it off to keep track of the trace you want to make.

I'M ALMOST THERE

Thanks a lot for all of the information that you have posted thus far...I'm getting the E4300 in a few days(It's in the mail) and also getting a Asrock 775I65G 865G board too. I plan on doing this mod and will post my results if successful.

This board is selling at ZipZoomFly for $51 and supports DDR and APG. Just needed some clarification on the instructions for the FSB200 to FSB266 mod.

From what I gather:
1st you need to isolate BSEL1 (H30)
2nd you need to connect BSEL1 with VSS (H30 to L30).

And the Big question....in the picture it looked like BSEL2 was isolated.....DOES THIS Need to be isolated or can it be left open.

REALLY Looking forward to a success1xz8.jpg

FSB200-FSB266-PIN-MOD.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bryan for the reply....have you modded your CPU then ???? And if so...what motherboard are you using.....memory....etc. ?????

Thanks,

Mike

Evilsizer said:
a silver pen will not work. need to use a window defrogger kit, can get it at any auto parts store.

The question never got answered when someone else asked. Why won't the silver pen work?

Tamerz said:
The question never got answered when someone else asked. Why won't the silver pen work?
i dont know the exact reason why but ones that did "pen" mods for 533fsb cpu's to 800fsb cpus. the silver pen didnt work but the window defrogger did. it could be something in the make up of the silver pen that adds to much resistance when tring to conduct electical signals.

Evilsizer said:
i dont know the exact reason why but ones that did "pen" mods for 533fsb cpu's to 800fsb cpus. the silver pen didnt work but the window defrogger did. it could be something in the make up of the silver pen that adds to much resistance when tring to conduct electical signals.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't really have any auto parts stores near (I live downtown Chicago) but do have Radio Shacks everywhere. I suppose I can just order the defogger kit online.

We used that 'brown' defogger paint (in a small vial) years ago to oc athlons, etc and numerous times since. I believe the brown is copper. It is suspended in a highly volatile fluid as it would evap very quickly. Btw, I used to get mine back to liquid using nail polish remover.

Back in the day of bridging for added multis. AMD used to (allow) be capable of that.

Silver said:
We used that 'brown' defogger paint (in a small vial) years ago to oc athlons, etc and numerous times since. I believe the brown is copper. It is suspended in a highly volatile fluid as it would evap very quickly. Btw, I used to get mine back to liquid using nail polish remover.

Back in the day of bridging for added multis. AMD used to (allow) be capable of that.

argh that $6.49 conductive pen didn't work, i wish i read this thread before i bought it.... :bang head

Back