• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when will 939 soket be discontinued?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If your thinking about going 939, dont. AM2 is basically the same price and you then have a futureproof platform.

also iv heard of a new socket coming out deas eny one know more about this?

ps2cho said:
If your thinking about going 939, dont. AM2 is basically the same price and you then have a futureproof platform.

Lol, futureproof?
If you skipped AM2 completely you would not miss anything.:)

He is using DDR RAM and has 939 now and upgrading to an FX-60:beer: . There is nothing he could get in AM2 for under $1200 that could compete with that considering he would need to buy new DDR2 memory and a new motherboard.

People who say the socket is going away soon are justifying their purchase of an AM2 platform.

It seems that 939 has little or no difference in gaming performance, just better overclocking because of the DDR2 ram.

AC3421 said:
Soon

People who say not for a while are just in denial because they probably own a s939 and dont want to feel like its old or whatever.

And you have proof of this? I'd like to see it.

939 chips should be around for a while yet , as stated above you can still get socket A chips . Sure later on there might not be as manny options for 939 as there is now but it should still be here for a while.

As stated manny times before if you have a 939 system dont move to am2 if you dont have a 939 system get a am2 .

There's not much difference between 939 & AM2. AM2 has about a 5-10% improvement in performance over 939 and has better upgrading potential.

As others have said, If ur building a new system then AM2 is the way to go. Otherewise, stick with what u've got. I guess it depends on what u wana use it for and wheather u've got more money than sense...lol.

||Console|| said:
As stated manny times before if you have a 939 system dont move to am2 if you dont have a 939 system get a am2 .

I would modify that:
if you have a 939 system don't move to am2 if you don't have a 939 system get a core 2 duo.

with all these reviews about how intel core2 is beating AM2 in every benchmark, why get AM2?

Kenshiro said:
with all these reviews about how intel core2 is beating AM2 in every benchmark, why get AM2?

How about leaving AMD procs in the AMD section and leaving intel out of this section? Im sick of people asking about an AMD processor and people saying "Dude amd sucks go Conroe!!! YAY!!!!"

Leave intel for intel, amd for amd, and both for general talk. he is asking about 939, not c2d. :rolleyes:

As for answering your question, 939 will slowly be phased out over the next few years. Like someone else said, you can still buy new socket A stuff. Alot of stores will have leftover 939 stuff you can pick up down the road, probably not a whole big selection (as alot of them are already dissapearing) but a decent amount.

939 will be around for a bit longer... AM2+ is actualy going to have 939 pins :) SKT939 has done AMD very well.

AC3421 said:
Soon

People who say not for a while are just in denial because they probably own a s939 and dont want to feel like its old or whatever.

Apparantly i am in denial that one of the greatest sockets is phasing out. Skt 939 has seen its glory, and only better can come out of the next socket/archs. Why would be in denial? Next time, post more intelligent posts please, or dont bother wasiting bandwidth.

Kenshiro said:
with all these reviews about how Intel core2 is beating AM2 in every benchmark, why get AM2?
Why support giant monopolistic robber barons that would still be selling you P4's if AMD hadn't kicked their butt? :eek:

Back on subject, I agree there is little reason to go from 939 to AM2, but if you are starting from scratch then there is no reason to go 939.

isn't 939 already discontinued? what new cpus are coming out for that socket and when?? afaik, none and never.

yes, you can still buy old stock of socket A chips, but when was the last time a NEW cpu was released for that platform?

There wont be any NEW chips released on 939, since its pretty much hit its limit. The whole K8 arch has pretty much hit a wall right now. We wont see any major performance incrase (or any at all for that matter) untill K8L is out, or a major revision is done to the current arch.

That doesnt mean there arnt any 939 chips coming out of there fabs, it just means not as many. It would be a dumb move on AMD's part to completely stop all production on 939 chips since there is still a part of the comunity that will purhcase higher end 939 chips to replace there lower end 939 chips (me, for one)

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
There wont be any NEW chips released on 939, since its pretty much hit its limit. The whole K8 arch has pretty much hit a wall right now. We wont see any major performance incrase (or any at all for that matter) untill K8L is out, or a major revision is done to the current arch.

That doesnt mean there arnt any 939 chips coming out of there fabs, it just means not as many. It would be a dumb move on AMD's part to completely stop all production on 939 chips since there is still a part of the comunity that will purhcase higher end 939 chips to replace there lower end 939 chips (me, for one)
a 4800+ at 2.9ghz is a lower end 939 cpu?

i took the OP's question to mean "if i buy a fx60 now, what are the chances of getting a faster cpu than that down the line?".

sure, they will make some more 939 cpu's for a while, but that won't help someone who is hoping for a 65nm cpu to drop in to their current system.

Back