• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright HR-03 - x1k Owners Rejoice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
gvblake22 said:
How many of you have run this thing passively?

Depends on what you qualify as 'passive'. I'm running it without fans mounted on the heatsink, but I have fans on the side of the case moving air across it.

P1000406.jpg

P1000409.jpg

EternalX said:
I played a bit of counter-strike and alt-tabbed to desktop to check temps, and it wasnt even above 50...I use whatever temp atitool displays in the tray
That temps gonna be much cooler than the max while playing a game. To check the max, go here:

30381046.jpg

TTP said:
I just use the temp monitor in CCC's Overclock tab
Are you using a 3D profile from ATI Tool when you load so as to increase volts/speed over 2D? Or perhaps you've got a 2nd monitor?

Would both of you guys do me a favor and load up ATI Tool, then play a game like FEAR, Oblivion, or even BF2/2142 w/ HQ AS and QAAA set in drivers and 2xAA, 8xAS in game? See what the max temp records. I get similar temps if I loop 3D2K3's nature test @ 1680x1050 6x QAAA and 16x HQAS.

Last edited:
EternalX said:
I got my new OCZ PSU back from RMA last night and had a chance to install it and my new heatsink for my x1800xt.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!

Before with the stock cooler and custom fan speeds programmed in ati tool, my card would idle around 52-55c depending on how hot it was in my apartment.

Now, it idles at a chilly 39c. I played a bit of counter-strike and alt-tabbed to desktop to check temps, and it wasnt even above 50.

I have a yate loon 48cfm fan on it and I cant hear it at all, unlike the turbine motor that used to be attached to it ;)

Best upgrade ive added to my computer for awhile, very nice product and great results.

Need to test it in a game that's more gpu intensive I think. My v1 ultra doesn't go over 50 playing CS either. All settings cranked to max. Try it in oblivion or something.

Even better try stress testing in atitool for 5 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Jod said:
Would both of you guys do me a favor and load up ATI Tool, then play a game like FEAR, Oblivion, or even BF2/2142 w/ HQ AS and QAAA set in drivers and 2xAA, 8xAS in game? See what the max temp records. I get similar temps if I loop 3D2K3's nature test @ 1680x1050 6x QAAA and 16x HQAS.

Sorry.. I had bad experiences with ATI Tool in the past. I'm sticking to CCC. I think 2h of Oblivion is sufficient to get the graphics card run pretty hot.

TTP said:
Sorry.. I had bad experiences with ATI Tool in the past. I'm sticking to CCC. I think 2h of Oblivion is sufficient to get the graphics card run pretty hot.

So are you just alt tabbing or do you have a 2nd mon? When I alt tab out, the temp's already decreased by quite a bit. If I remember correctly, Rivatuner will record temps as well.

If I alt tab to CCC on the desktop, it's 12C less than max recorded via ATI Tool. That puts our temps much closer, but I'm gonna pull off for some lapping and do a couple contact checks. That should put me at about 65C load.

Jod said:
If I alt tab to CCC on the desktop, it's 12C less than max recorded via ATI Tool. That puts our temps much closer, but I'm gonna pull off for some lapping and do a couple contact checks. That should put me at about 65C load.

Same here.

I run CS source on max settings. Doesn't get over 50C. Stress test in atitool brings it up to 62C with the v1 ultra. (running only 1 80mm fan).

So anyone stress test the hr-03 in atitool yet?

I'm wondering how much better this is than the v1 ultra. The mounting system in teh hr-03 is definately better though. lol

Jod said:
posrx7:
ATI Tool doesn't activate 3d modes, I'm assuming you've created a profile?

yeah... just disable the clock switch & edit in your profile.

Ah, so you have created a prof in ATI Tool for v/speed? Then your little "show 3dview" gives you 62C?

One of these days, they're be a perfect utility that will measure ambient temps, volts, and THEN give temps...

Pos, so you have the orig Thermal cooler?

Jod said:
Well, the last time I tried to use ATI Tool, it foobed my screen. I used a profile with default 3D volts and same speeds as CCC. :(

So you know that you need to bump the volts up manually before upping the clocks right? Default volts is something like 1.15 or so. If you overclock, you'll freeze your comp.

I think everyone who uses atitool at first makes that mistake.

jod said:
Ah, so you have created a prof in ATI Tool for v/speed? Then your little "show 3dview" gives you 62C?

One of these days, they're be a perfect utility that will measure ambient temps, volts, and THEN give temps...

Pos, so you have the orig Thermal cooler?

Actually its the "scan for artifacts" that gives me the temp. Usually you wait until it levels off and doesn't go up any more.

yep i have the original cooler.

Still thinking about getting the hr-03. Doesn't seem to be worth dropping another $60 bux on though. lol

TTP said:
Depends on what you qualify as 'passive'. I'm running it without fans mounted on the heatsink, but I have fans on the side of the case moving air across it.

P1000406.jpg

P1000409.jpg

very nice Thermalright team that you have :clap: :clap:

what temps do you have with your setup ?

posrx7 said:
So you know that you need to bump the volts up manually before upping the clocks right?

Yup, yup. I did have CCC unlocked tho. I'll try again next CCC upgrade.

Back