• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF2142 to include spyware AND adware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Owenator said:
Not unlike playing a game based on the Doom or Unreal engines.

I moaned that Quake 4 was a Doom 3 mod earlier on this forum.

I'm not quite sure what you were getting at about Valve/Steam. Was it their charging for mods? If it was, I disapprove of that and won't support them either. Believe me, my hatred isn't localised to EA - it's any company that acts like that; the thing is one doesn't have an option sometimes (like with MS).

Owenator said:
I can see why from a game maker point of view patches are tough to support when you are trying to also develop new games.

I suppose the solution there would be to release games that are finished then.

Owenator said:
I am hoping that this new revenue stream will give keeping the game going a higher priority.

Do you realistically expect that though?

Owenator said:
Well we all use Microsoft products which are much worse on all of these competitive issues.

That's just another example of a company that took it too far and now most people don't have a choice. You've just cited another example of something that's wrong, which doesn't make what EA's doing okay.

Anjow said:
I'm not quite sure what you were getting at about Valve/Steam. Was it their charging for mods? If it was, I disapprove of that and won't support them either. Believe me, my hatred isn't localised to EA - it's any company that acts like that; the thing is one doesn't have an option sometimes (like with MS).
You got it, that was my point. I personally don't mind the iterative games like HL2 episodes of SIN episodes. It spreads the cost out more. I like that better that the $60 price of console games.
Anjow said:
I suppose the solution there would be to release games that are finished then.
I agree that games should be "finished" but the time pressure game devlopers seem to be under makes then tend to rush things. This is true of most software delopment in todays world IMHO. Back in the day the government would let a programer take years to make a "finished" mainframe code. And it was bug free. In todays instant gratification market for consumer goods we don't have that kind of patience. So "git-R-done" is always there while progammers work.
Anjow said:
Do you realistically expect that though?
Well if you've read my other posts you can see that I'm sometimes a hopless optimist, so yes.
Anjow said:
That's just another example of a company that took it too far and now most people don't have a choice. You've just cited another example of something that's wrong, which doesn't make what EA's doing okay.
I agree. The example was to show how apathetic we are with so much imperfection in the world. I'd get really up set by why bother. ;)

Maybe I'm just a pragmatic-optimist? I see it as it is, but I am hopeful that it won't be too bad.

I would argue that people who just accept that these things are going to happen are the main reason that they do.

I'm sure no one actually WANTS adverts in games, but the people who just accept it as inevitible are the ones who don't make a fuss, don't vote with their wallets and for the people who are putting the ads in them that is as good as saying "we support you".

To heck with the advert. issue. Yes it is a concern. But am I the only one that finds the security issue distrubing?

We "may" have to reopen a known Windows kernel secuity issue in order to play the game? Nobody else here sees the significance of this.

Anjow said:
I would argue that people who just accept that these things are going to happen are the main reason that they do.

I'm sure no one actually WANTS adverts in games, but the people who just accept it as inevitible are the ones who don't make a fuss, don't vote with their wallets and for the people who are putting the ads in them that is as good as saying "we support you".
True enough. This whole thing reminds me of the frog in the pot of water metaphore.

Drop a frog into a pot of boiling water and it will jump out immediately. But if you heat the pot very slowly the frog will stay and be cooked.

This is exactly what is happening here. Feeding us crap a tiny piece at a time so we don't see the whole turd until it's too late.

redrumy3 said:
soo anyone buy it on here?
I bought it. I'll be playing it tonight after work. I'll post an update on the "Ad Issue" then.

As for boiling a frog, I like my bath water hot! :eek:

I used to be an idealist but the self rightious indignation got exhausting. :rolleyes: Now I just try to keep a positive attitude and do as little harm as practical to the world. (Note: I said practical not possible) :D

Anyone else enjoy BF Vietnam the most?

I've been playing the demo for a bit of 2142 and I'm not too impressed. Let us know how the actual game is. Might be a little better.

FastRedPonyCar said:
If you go to BF2142's wikipedia page, you'll see that this is EA's 3rd game to do this. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter both had in game dynamic advertising so apparently this isn't new at all and must not be as intrusive as we're all making it out to be.

I'm not fond of the idea but I'm still going to install the game to see what it's all about and I think that everyone needs to take a deep breath and chill for a while and wait to see what people who ACTUALLY PLAY the game think.

If they continue to complain about the ad's ruining their gaming experience, then we can go back and pickup our torches and pitchforks but until then, I'm going to give it an honest shot.

Last time I checked, Splinter Cell and GRAW were made by Ubisoft.

think of it this way.. if that allows us to play free on the internet, it should be ok.. as long as they dont monitor our privacy. It can report our IP so it shows correct ads for our areas.. It could be a way for them to pay for the servers etc.. unlike WoW where people pay subscriptions..

but i aggree it will look stupid in the games..

the EA downloader is garbage too.. I never really appreciated Steam til now that I got my new system up and how easy it is to setup, even allows you to dl the game instantly without the cd as long as u log in. They need a system like that automatically keeps you updated with all the right files etc.

Im I the only one who misses bf vietnam? that was the first bf game i started at (never really played 1942) simplcity was the best

hypertek said:
think of it this way.. if that allows us to play free on the internet, it should be ok..
We can already play for free without the ads.

hypertek said:
think of it this way.. if that allows us to play free on the internet, it should be ok..

It doesn't ALLOW us to play free on the internet. We could do that already. We can do that with almost every other game out there, a very very tiny percentage have advertising and that proves that it ISN'T necessary. It does not 'allow' free internet play at all.

A petition will do nothing. The only way to stop EA is to not buy the game. If you buy the game then sign some online petition THEY WIN.

People need to realise that regardless of how much you complain, however many online news articles get posted about this, if you buy the game you are saying "it's okay to put ads in games, I will still pay for them". That is the ONLY message they will get.

It could be a way for them to pay for the servers etc..

im an admin for my clan www.theperfectgeneral.com . it took us a year to become a ranked PROVIDER for BF2. guess what? WE pay for the servers..EA surely didnt give us a server for free, and the ranked servers werent cheap either. when bf2 was released, it seemed that EA wanted full control of the servers and they finally loosened up their reigns abit. ads arent going to help the consumer in any way, except maybe some stoners out there wondering what theyre gonna eat @ 3AM while theyre playin BF2142.

Don't worry, we're not missing much of anything. Same old graphics engine with a few "enchancments" and still buggy. BF2 is fine for me, and still has replay value.

smokie mcpott said:
im an admin for my clan www.theperfectgeneral.com . it took us a year to become a ranked PROVIDER for BF2. guess what? WE pay for the servers..EA surely didnt give us a server for free, and the ranked servers werent cheap either. when bf2 was released, it seemed that EA wanted full control of the servers and they finally loosened up their reigns abit. ads arent going to help the consumer in any way, except maybe some stoners out there wondering what theyre gonna eat @ 3AM while theyre playin BF2142.
Thank you for sharing that Mr. McPott. Was wondering how ranked game servers felt on the issues at hand. It is my assertion that many avid online gamers take the servers for granted. Many forget, or just plain don't understand, what you people go through to keep a server up & running 24/7.

Well I played it last night for a couple of hours and never noticed a single ad. Maybe they are subliminal? lol I did capture my registry before and after but at this point I am going to hold of on sniffing my traffic to see what's up.

I really enjoyed playing this game! I like the futureistic setting but what I really like is the ability to see enemies health and the little maker for them. That way when you spot somebody you have a few seconds to find them even if they are hiding behind something. The unlocks are going to take some time to decide on but for now I have claymores, grenades, and longer run.

Back