• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Monkeys vs. MPC Monkeys Prize Ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm all for playing by the rules. But, just to play devil's advocate here. Where would Timeless Tinkers fall in the rules? I know several folks that load up on TTs and then take a several thousand point dump when it is convenient. That is fully allowed by the Pande Group. Again, you can always find exceptions to the rules. ;)

Macaholic said:
I'm all for playing by the rules. But, just to play devil's advocate here. Where would Timeless Tinkers fall in the rules? I know several folks that load up on TTs and then take a several thousand point dump when it is convenient. That is fully allowed by the Pande Group. Again, you can always find exceptions to the rules. ;)
agreed. I ahve a couple rigs that are 'slow' running TT's and dump in a 7 load....
its completely legal by stanford, and derrr...its in the console.

i agree that we can't just have people dumping massive amounts at the end because of the fairness factor. Howabout we say that ther cannot be a spike of more that 5000 points within the last 50000 points of the race. Even if we have to sacrifice a few thousand points to keep the competition fair, then I am willing to take that, what are your feelings on this?

This is acceptable garynator. Stanford wants the WUs out to be returned as fast as the machine finishes them. Some machines may take a month to do this but it is still crunching on one with maybe a few more in queue but it still returns them usually when it finishes them.
Simply because the rules say it is ok to with-hold timeless workunits doesn't mean you can hold finished workunit for any length of time longer than it takes to connect and send in the points. If it is done, send it. That is Stanfords rules. Holding workunits is only acceptable if the machine is not able to connect to send it at the time of finishing it. If you have a live connection there should be NO reason to hold any finished WUs.
In a specifically outlined workplace with machines that may be behind a firewall or lack of internet access and unable to connect except for given times or requiring a thumb drive to send/receive then this is very different than simply holding finished WUs.
If you want to see the legality of holding WUs then take a look at what happened to the Dutch Power Cows for holding WUs for a week, what they called a "Megaflush".

Also dumping an assigned WU simply because it folds slow or has low points is also against the rules of Stanford primarily but also this contest. You fold what you are given, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if it is a 56 point that takes 3 days or a 1161 point WU that takes 20 days. Fold what you get.

The processor count and WU count will be tracked so a sudden jump in points with only one or two reporting processor count will be noticed. Same with a jump in processor count with fewer returned results. Both teams will have an eye on them from an unbiased source.

FOLDFORACURE FLODFROACRUE :D

Last edited:
Yeah, big brotha is watching :D ;)

And to everyone: please keep everything fair, not because the rules explicitly state it or because people will be looking for the telltale signs, but because it's the right thing to do. A hollow victory is not true victory, it's only based on lies and deceit. May the best monkeys win :beer:

On that note, let's please have everything with the prizes and rules hashed out by wednesday before the contest starts. I don't want any outstanding issues lingering about come contest start time or even close to it.

Seadave, is everything still a go with the stats page?

so is everyone cool with the monkey trophy and monkey paw idea for a prize? If so i'll go ahead and submit it so we can have everything in order for tomorrow's poo-flinging fest.

Every member of the loosing team has to permanantely switch teams. :p (Of course, we will not be the loosing team. :D )

the garynator said:
so is everyone cool with the monkey trophy and monkey paw idea for a prize? If so i'll go ahead and submit it so we can have everything in order for tomorrow's poo-flinging fest.

Gets my stamp of approval.

Ok, here's the official rules with the prize:

1. First team to accumulate 500,000 points from the start time wins.

2. Start time for the contest is Friday, May 5 th at 12pm, Pacific Daylight Time.

3. The victor gets to claim the lucky jaded monkey as the prize. Tales have been told of untold wealth and fame that comes with this. The victorious team is allowed to display in any honorary fashion the jaded monkey, the losing team is forbidden to display it. The losing team is bestowed the dreaded monkey's paw, which is said to be cursed. People have been known for have very bad luck with this paw :eek:

4. Team captains are as follows: Garynator from overclockers and Spider Monkey from MaxPC.

5. In the event of a close race, the Stanford site will be considered the official source for points information.

6. Have fun and keep it positive.

They need an "Official" spider_monkey(or whatever) thread in their forum like we have . They have to display the "paw" there.

*Edit: And they can't just let it die so nobody sees it, they need to keep it current like we do!

yeah that jadedmonkey will look nice on the mantle of the Stickies at the top of the gauntlet thread :D

Screwballl said:
yeah that jadedmonkey will look nice on the mantle of the Stickies at the top of the gauntlet thread :D
Yeah, with "This trophy belongs to the folding_monkeys" under it :D :p

the garynator said:
Yeah, with "This trophy belongs to the folding_monkeys" under it :D :p

that doesn't make any sense.... it says the loser will have to display the claw thing... so I would also assume that they cannot display the jaded monkey so if it was at the top of the MaxPC Gauntlet section as a sticky then it would be impossible to have the caption you mentioned :D sorry :santa:

WOW! I think I just saw a hair split in half. I thought that was just an expression all these years.

Lodis4 said:
WOW! I think I just saw a hair split in half. I thought that was just an expression all these years.
yeah, i just saw our graph on the race page...holy crap :eek:

the garynator said:
yeah, i just saw our graph on the race page...holy crap :eek:

My interior decorator suggested the green stay above red at all times. Helps with the Feng Shui. I had no choice as you can see, feng shui must be followed. :beer:

Back