• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VF900 on X1900XTX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I believe that the stock cooler in reviews have the fan set to auto and not 100% like RangerXLT8

And it's exactly the same for the Accelero. They probably ran it at 10% or whatever ATI defaults too. Hardly a fair competition.

I tried the VF700 and got temps above 95c
I tried the stock @ 100% and got temps around 67
I tried the accelero @ 100% and got temps around 67

It's only 30 bucks guys. Give it a shot and save your ears!

I have a Sapphire X1900XT and i tried 2 different VF900's on it to make sure it isnt related to a production error on behalf of the heatpipes. My card is running hot (can get 90+ C degrees during artifact scanning!) with the VF900.

I currently think it has got to do with the vRegulator, which seems to be mirroring the core temperatures every step of the way. When the core is 81 degrees, so is the vRegulator etc etc.

The zalman does not seem to be helping out in any way to cool the vRegulator at all and maybe the Accelero X2 does. This is something i have to find out.

Anyways, at 1.425 voltages it is undoable, so i am now running 625 / 720 @ 1.225 V stable and that seems to be keeping everything comfortably cool. This prevents me from OCing the card (artifacts and unstability at 631 core), so i will try again and let you all know when i get me an accelero X2 and set it back to the "stock" 1.425 volt.

SKiNNiEH said:
I have a Sapphire X1900XT and i tried 2 different VF900's on it to make sure it isnt related to a production error on behalf of the heatpipes. My card is running hot (can get 90+ C degrees during artifact scanning!) with the VF900.

I currently think it has got to do with the vRegulator, which seems to be mirroring the core temperatures every step of the way. When the core is 81 degrees, so is the vRegulator etc etc.

The zalman does not seem to be helping out in any way to cool the vRegulator at all and maybe the Accelero X2 does. This is something i have to find out.

Anyways, at 1.425 voltages it is undoable, so i am now running 625 / 720 @ 1.225 V stable and that seems to be keeping everything comfortably cool. This prevents me from OCing the card (artifacts and unstability at 631 core), so i will try again and let you all know when i get me an accelero X2 and set it back to the "stock" 1.425 volt.
The core is running hot because it runs hot. Has nothing to do with vreg temps. With the stock ATI cooler @ 100% the gpu loads at about 70c, give or take. The vreg is consistently 80c+. With the VF900, it allowed the core to get into the high 80s.

Just look at your own screenshot and tell me why on your stock cooler, your vRegulator is one degree off the temperature of the cooler (both 72 +/- degrees). The temperature of the VF900 is right on the temperature of the vRegulator (both 81 degrees).

Edit: this tells me the stock cooler does participate in vRegulator cooling, which in turn helps core temperature. I might be wrong in my views, but i still think it is odd that both temps mirror each other, even in your screenshots.

Here is a screenshot of ATITools on my card:

This is @ 1.225 volt, fan speed at slow.
625_720_1225v_as.jpg

wow.... I only saw 70° using stock. I guess those new Zalmans just can't handle the beast. :-/

I also tested the temperature of X1900XT with ATI stock cooler,AcceleroX2 and VF900Cu by 3D marks 06 and recorded the temp result by riva tuner 15.8(unlocked support for X1900)

Just give you guys a result summary

ATI stock cooler(5060RPM) at X1900XT Full load: 69-70C
AcceleroX2(2100RPM) at X1900XT Full load: 65-66C
VF900Cu(2600RPM) at X1900XT Full load:75-76C

I come from Guru3D forum and we also noticed the VF900Cu problem review from sudhian.com by Tuan Huynh.
We concluded that the review is actually nothing more than a product promotion exercise.

FYI: other Vf900CU owner also recorded 69C in X1800XT, we had posted our temp log file for your reference.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=176582
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=176760

hkcadcam said:
I also tested the temperature of X1900XT with ATI stock cooler,AcceleroX2 and VF900Cu by 3D marks 06 and recorded the temp result by riva tuner 15.8(unlocked support for X1900)

Just give you guys a result summary

ATI stock cooler(5060RPM) at X1900XT Full load: 69-70C
AcceleroX2(2100RPM) at X1900XT Full load: 65-66C
VF900Cu(2600RPM) at X1900XT Full load:75-76C

I come from Guru3D forum and we also noticed the VF900Cu problem review from sudhian.com by Tuan Huynh.
We concluded that the review is actually nothing more than a product promotion exercise.

FYI: other Vf900CU owner also recorded 69C in X1800XT, we had posted our temp log file for your reference.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=176582
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=176760
thanks for the info bro and

:welcome: to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!

My personal opinion is that people who've purchased these heatsinks should be writing Zalman and telling them of the experience..... and for those websites that have lied about the performance of the heatsinks, they should be held accountable. I know if this was me, I'd be writing internet articles which document my experience and I'd dare Zalman to complain about it. :bang head It doesn't appear that there are any objective reviews for this heatsink using any new highend cards. :-/

funnyperson1 said:
It doesn't really surprise me, the Ati cooler is a freaking huge heatsink with tons of copper surface area, and a really high speed fan. The Zalman is more probably meant to provide adequate cooling at low noise levels rather than provide better cooling than the stock cooler, the Zalman is rated for 25dba at high speed, from what I have read the Ati cooler is much louder than that. That Zalman doesn't really have the surface area to cool better with that quiet fan.

The Accelero X2 does seem like a better choice though:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/accelerox2/4.html
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1033360
Except for the Acceler (since I don't know much about it), I agree 100% with what funnyperson said.

#1 - Didn't you all think the stock cooler is INSANELY HUGE! ALL THAT COPPER!
#2 - The Zalman doesn't get loud. Maybe a bigger fan on the VF900 will show what it's made of and may beat the stock cooler.
#3 - I feel like the Zalman 900 was made for people who wanted it quieter.

Without question it appears the thermalright V1 Ultra is the best for retail cooling. If you take appart the stock cooler you'll see that the part thats copper really isn't that big. The stock cooler is quiet if you don't turn it up. :p

HousERaT said:
Without question it appears the thermalright V1 Ultra is the best for retail cooling. If you take appart the stock cooler you'll see that the part thats copper really isn't that big. The stock cooler is quiet if you don't turn it up. :p
Not many reviewers are comparing the V1-Ultra with any other third-party cooling, not to mention the ATi stock cooler for the x1900. It was released a while ago and still performs extremely well on the x1900 from what I have seen. I still cant figure out why these things arent getting that much review action. :shrug:

I am really am ****ed about this... I just dropped 100 beans on two of these things based on the various "reviews" that were posted all over the net before its' release thinking it really was THAT good, only to find they were all advertisments. We really should contact Zalman about this or file some kind of complaint.

M Diddy said:
I am really am ****ed about this... I just dropped 100 beans on two of these things based on the various "reviews" that were posted all over the net before its' release thinking it really was THAT good, only to find they were all advertisments. We really should contact Zalman about this or file some kind of complaint.
That really cannot be blamed on Zalman, the Websites reviewed the Ati stock cooler in its stock state, with the fan running on auto. With the fan at 100% the Ati cooler cools better, but its also many, many times louder than the Zalman heatsink. The VF900 is designed to cool the video card adequately while remaining quiet.

We aren't challenging Zalman on the VF900 cooler, since Zalman has not state the performance guarantee on their website.
What we feel not happy is the problem review, he said that the max temp of VF900Cu is 54C on X1800XT but actually it is 70C or even higher by the record of other customers.
We are basing on the review result to choose cooler and we expected 50 dollar can get a quiet cooler with 20C lower temp base on the result review result. But, actually it is not =.=.
Personally, I will keep the accelero on my X1900XT until next better cooler exist since the max temp of my card is just around 64C. And it costs 29-30 dollar only.

I had to cancel out on a scan for artifacts with the vf900 a week ago, when it was hitting 94 degrees. Any further and i would be left with a 500 euro red boomerang that probably would not return to me if i threw it.

I would suggest all VF900 owners with same bad experience just send email to Sudian.com and Zalman to complaint that the review result is not correct and just mis-leading people :bang head . Because it is damaging the brand name of Zalman and bringing more nightmare to Zalman fan's if they use this cooler on High End card like X1800XT/7800GTX by reading this problem review.

I actually wrote a support request on the zalman site a week ago, temperatures logs and all. I have yet to get a response. Needless to say, i dont feel to be taken seriously by Zalman. All their other products that i have bought in the past are just fine though, so i'm not writing them off just yet.

The customer is king, a line that seems to be forgotten in this business world nowadays.

Back