• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VF900 on X1900XTX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerXLT8

Ok first impression of the VF900, it has an excellent lapjob.

Next up mounting onto card:

And now for the temp comparison. Load temps were achieved by running 3 loops of 3dmark06 graphics test, skipped the cpu test. ATI stock cooler fan was run at 100%(sounds like a jet engine like you all know). The stock ATI cooler w\ fan at 100% outpreforms the VF900 under load....... :bang head

i'm sorry dude but i told everyone it wouldnt perform any better than when Ross put the old version zalman on his x1900, its just not possible.

Rattle said:
i'm sorry dude but i told everyone it wouldnt perform any better than when Ross put the old version zalman on his x1900, its just not possible.
VF700 on this card under load heats up to 110c!
I don't know If I'm gonna put back the stock cooler or what! .

Come to think of it I'm going to lap the stock cooler and stick it back on. I saw a thread somewhere about a guy who lapped his stock cooler and got great results from it....I guess I'll put the VF900 in the classys later!

yeah there have been reports of people getting a few degrees after, but as of now nothing is better than a lapped stock cooler apparently. Sorry man, but thanks also !

was the heatsinks on your Vregs, when you tested with the stock cooler?

you should give a shot to the Accelero X2.
people seem to like to doubt its performance, cause its not a DHES design anymore...
but then again neither is the Zalman... so whats to worry about?

my X2 got me about 10C lower at under game load from Doom 3 and 3dmark2006 then the stock cooler did, and my stock cooler is heavily modded.

Well I did a pretty good lap job on the stock heatsink and it gave me a 7c drop in idle temps(haven't had a chance to run any 3dmark.. The stock heatsink at 100% is seriously a beast! I'm putting the VF900 up for sale in the classys right now for a decent price.

Sorry about the poor results bro. I would be utterly dissapointed if this happened to me. :eh?:

Dom

Kunaak said:
was the heatsinks on your Vregs, when you tested with the stock cooler?

you should give a shot to the Accelero X2.
people seem to like to doubt its performance, cause its not a DHES design anymore...
but then again neither is the Zalman... so whats to worry about?

my X2 got me about 10C lower at under game load from Doom 3 and 3dmark2006 then the stock cooler did, and my stock cooler is heavily modded.

yes the balck MicroCool Chipsinks were on the vregs throughout both test!

dominick32 said:
Sorry about the poor results bro. I would be utterly dissapointed if this happened to me. :eh?:

Dom

I am but now the VF900 is in the classys. I'm selling it for 34.00 shipped and it cost me 49.00+19 for 2nd day shipping. I want it gone. It's def better than VF700 by alot, 20c on my card.

Damn, sorry this didn't work out bro. If you get sick of the noise, give the Accelero a shot. I found it to do as good as stock@100% (unlapped) and it's silent. Provided you have the external cooling of course.

Hopefully we'll get an update from Thermalright called the V1K KnightMARE with front and back "card length" aluminum soon!

It doesn't really surprise me, the Ati cooler is a freaking huge heatsink with tons of copper surface area, and a really high speed fan. The Zalman is more probably meant to provide adequate cooling at low noise levels rather than provide better cooling than the stock cooler, the Zalman is rated for 25dba at high speed, from what I have read the Ati cooler is much louder than that. That Zalman doesn't really have the surface area to cool better with that quiet fan.

The Accelero X2 does seem like a better choice though:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/accelerox2/4.html
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1033360

im not surprised. the zalmans are small, low profile heatsinks made mostly for silence and space saving.

Reading the reviews on this thing, I was really expecting more.... I'm wondering if something wasn't right....

M Diddy said:
Reading the reviews on this thing, I was really expecting more.... I'm wondering if something wasn't right....

bro I had the fan plugged directly into a 12v header, which is a few hundred rpm more then 'high' with the fan controller.

Today for lapping the stock heatsink I had it apart, That thing is very well designed. It has 2 heatpipes directly above the part that contacts the GPU, which delivers the heat to the sink fins, and then of course the fan we all know.

Back