• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The X800GTO2 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I finally got the heatsink mounted on the good card....... all the voltmods have been penciled in. Will continue to benchmark tonight and will post some 3DMark scores.

HousERaT said:
I finally got the heatsink mounted on the good card....... all the voltmods have been penciled in. Will continue to benchmark tonight and will post some 3DMark scores.
Have your "penciled in" voltmods changed at all yet? Just curious if it's a better solution than VR for me.

By the way, where did you find your DFI beta bios? I need to try it out.

the volmods are new...... I took them off before and added them back on with just a tad bit more graphite. :D From a quick test last night I had the card up to 615/600 with low timings and no artifacts while benching. I'll continue to update the front page as my clocks continue to climb.;)

All the bios for the DFI Ultra LP are over in the mb section. I think Red Dragon manages that thread. It's a sticky so you shouldn't miss it.

HousERaT said:
You might want to change the TIM on the card if you're going to stick with stock cooling for awhile. Should be more life in the card.

Okay I am new to the entire moding of the video card what is the TIM? And how do I go about changing it? if there is another thread on this just point me in the right direction. Thanks for your help.

everything you need is right here in this thread..... it's only 31 pages....... :p

TIM = Thermal Interface Material. It's the white or gray paste in between the core and the heatsink. Needless to say the stuff they put on at the factory is less than stellar.

My load temps had dropped about 5C by changing the TIM to AS5 (ArcticSilver 5) and remounting the heatsink. That was before I went watercooling, obviously... but yeah, you should see at least a 5C drop in my opinion. The stock cooler is actually fairly good. Before I got a waterblock, my load temp on the stock cooling was 57C, which in my opinion, isn't bad at all.

Okay thanks for the info. I happen to have a tube of that here that I used when I put the AMD 64 heatsink on. I will pull the card out tonight and see what it takes to pull the sinks off and put the good stuff on.

What is a good imagine hosting site? I need to get my screen shots uploaded.

I use photobucket.com. I don't know what others use, but I can guarantee that photobucket is easy to use. :)

Thanks for the link. I am at work right now but I will check it out when I get home. I am goin to start on my cpu now since with the stock heatsink its running at around 35c I am gonna go ahead and see if I can bump it up a notch or two and see what that does to my score. I would like to get into the 7's in 05 but I don't think I can do that with the stock heatsink and fan. And seein as how I am in the military I am not gonna risk vmod'n it at this time I can't afford to replace it LOL

Still not done yet...... there's a little juice left in this thing....... ;)

1.6v/2.18v/2.18v all air cooled.

Benching with low timings.

Attachments

• X800GTO²2-8.JPG
    X800GTO²2-8.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 72
Very nice modding Houserat. :) Always like to see decently heatsinks on video cards, rather than those puny silencers and the like. :p What we need now is s'more voltage. For short runs, 2.3v-2.4v vdd/vddq is alright passive. Bet you could get the memory up to around 630.

yeah..... the techpowerup article says up to 2.45v passive on the memory. I have superior case cooling so I could probably go a little higher for a short time. Now I'm in the market for the best 60mm fan for the heatsink. I need something fairly quiet and also moves good air. After I get through testing I'm going to rewrite all my personal benchmark records. :D

HousERaT said:
yeah..... the techpowerup article says up to 2.45v passive on the memory. I have superior case cooling so I could probably go a little higher for a short time. Now I'm in the market for the best 60mm fan for the heatsink. I need something fairly quiet and also moves good air. After I get through testing I'm going to rewrite all my personal benchmark records. :D
I read that too and it surprised me...obviously I'm not one to pansy around with voltage, but that value seems big even to me. Past 2.5v, you have a very large risk of popping caps and other circuitry. I notice that most of the pros don't go far beyond 2.4v..there's usually no benefit. I stayed put at 2.35v even with my memory at around 0C. You could try going above 2.4v, but use caution if you get gains.

HousERat or Guatum, where are you guys finding out what to set the memory timings to? I have no clue how I should be messing with it... I know system ram from head to toes, but nothing about vid card memory. Also, when I do tighten the timings to whatever you guys tell me, will that drop the memory mhz a bit?

i.e. My ATI tool detected 625.91mhz for 200min no errors... what should I set it to before I loosen timings, 20mhz less? :)

lower timings will drop the overall Mhz a tad but the gains will probably outgain the lower mhz. Go to my link from the frontpage about voltmods...... techpowerup explains all that stuff pretty well.

HousERaT said:
lower timings will drop the overall Mhz a tad but the gains will probably outgain the lower mhz. Go to my link from the frontpage about voltmods...... techpowerup explains all that stuff pretty well.
Does it give an example of timings to try? That's what I'm trying to ask. Could you put that in the first post perhaps? :D :D I've read that thing a buncha times, and just didn't wanna fish around again. It's okay if you don't want to...

HousERaT said:
Here is the thread for the best timings for X8X0 cards.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55485

TRCDRD: 7
TRCDWR: 3
TRP: 5
TRAS: 13
TRRD: 4
TWR: 6
TR2W: CL+2
TW2R: 4
TR2R: USE TWR RULE
TR2R: 2
WR_LATENCY: 1.5
CAS_LATENCY: 7
CMD_LATENCY: 0
STR_LATENCY: WR LATENCY
REFRESH_RATE: 0x75
TRFC: 23
I personally prefer putting TRCDWR at 4 and TRP at 6. In the long run, it's gotten me higher scores on every X8XX I've owned. Other than that I use Eshbach's timings. What drivers are those btw, I think you should be around the 7.7k range with those clocks.

Back