• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have decided to go Dothan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope I mean this. That piece of foam is about 0.8mm. Which is about the height of the die. I already peeled it off out of curiosity and placed it on the chip. The top of the foam sits flush with the top of the die.
dothanheatsink.jpg

Last edited:
datura3 said:
Nope I mean this. That piece of foam is about 0.8mm. Which is about the height of the die. I already peeled it off out of curiosity and placed it on the chip. The top of the foam sits flush with the top of the die.
http://photobucket.com/albums/y263/datura3/?action=view&current=dothanheatsink.jpg
sorry about that. THG doesn't like linking. Try the link above. If someone could PM me and let me know how to embed pictures rather than link to them it would be much appreciated! I'll post plenty of pics in the next few days.

just put
, try not to post pictures that are to big though. :)

EDIT - ^^ if its anything like the ones on tbe buttom of stock NB h/s's it's going to be tricky. No biggy though.

datura3 said:
dothanheatsink.jpg
Ended up doing the same. I tore it twice, but it doesn't seem to hinder anything. Right now I've got two tough tasks to do; remove the floppy power connector and pin mod the socket.

Are you going to epoxy it on? I'm thinking of doing so, but I'd prefer for it to not be permanent, just in case.

Here are some pics of an aluminum shim. Took about ten minutes to make with a dremel and a file. I did a quick lapping with a large file to make sure it was flat.
aluminiumshim.jpg
aluminumshimon.jpg

Gautam said:
Are you going to epoxy it on? I'm thinking of doing so, but I'd prefer for it to not be permanent, just in case.

Not sure if I'm gonna epoxy it on. If I use the stock foam shim, that still has the adhesive backing on it so I can just stick it on. If I use the aluminum shim I will probably just use double sided tape so it's not permanent. However, I'm still not sure which is better.

Do you think a zalman 7700cu will fit the adapter as theres a huge cap where the jumper and power plug is?
Also if a thermalright 120xp was used could you just remove the jumper pins and solder them shorted, and remove the power plug and solder the wires thru the bottom of the adapter?

Very nice work with both of those shims. :thup: If you saw the job I did of peeling that stock shim off...:p

I suppose its adhesive is enough.

Just in case nobody mentioned it, the core is .82 mm above the silicon.

Someone on another thread suggested using a hairdryer to get the foam shim off the heatsink.

I don't know about this foam gasket - it might be enough for a light aluminum heatsink, but I don't trust it to protect my 760 core from the heavier forces attaching my cascade's evaporator head.

422.jpg
:eek:

just got an email from the guy on ebay. he said he called ups and they held the cpu for a fews days. I am thinking holding it for what?
:argue: he should be using fedex instead of ups :mad:

Everything is setup and running. I hit 190fsb tonight with a pi score of 28s. I plan on trying for 200fsb tomorrow. I'll post pics of the retension mechanism etc and some screenies soon.

well the cpu finally shipped :cool: but wont be here till tuesday next week :mad:. Atleast the board gets here tomorrow so i can flash it then just wait for p-m.

The adapter just got here, i don't have time to play around with it (party later today, preparations are on-scheme), but i can say that everything about is tiny, very tiny. The adaper itself, the things on the PCB, the cooler that comes with it..(shim :cool: )

Thanks Scott!

Also,

Funds Updated

Last edited:
Back