• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A8V + XP-120 = Works Fine!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boomslang

Registered
I just upgraded my XP-90 to an XP-120. Everything fits fine. I am running two 512 sticks of standard Crucial DDR400 memory in dual channel. The memory is in the two blue slots.

There is plenty of clearance between the heatpipes and the memory stick closest to the cpu.

I just wanted to let everyone know, since there was a thread going around with someone having fitament issues. There is plenty of clearance.

I'll try to have pictures up this evening.

boomslang said:
I just upgraded my XP-90 to an XP-120. Everything fits fine. I am running two 512 sticks of standard Crucial DDR400 memory in dual channel. The memory is in the two blue slots.

There is plenty of clearance between the heatpipes and the memory stick closest to the cpu.

I just wanted to let everyone know, since there was a thread going around with someone having fitament issues. There is plenty of clearance.

I'll try to have pictures up this evening.

Good to hear, I was planning on getting an XP120 myself. The thermalright site does say that it fits perfectly on an A8V, but it's good to hear a testimonial as well.

Thats good news indeed! Can I use your pictures in my OC Guide?

The guy at xtremesys said there were problems if your RAM had heatspreaders on them.

Keep it coming :thup:

boomslang said:

I had an xp-120 as well, it fits alright, but there was definately not plenty of clearance. I had less than a quarter inch between the heat pipes and my RAM. That is because my RAM has heatspreaders though, without em it would be a half inch maybe.

They might be a little big, but feel free to use them/resize them in whatever fashion that helps out other peeps.

I have a nice 5°C drop going from an XP-90 to XP-120. :clap:

004.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

might become tricky with fancy heatspreaders like those led ones on the corsair XMS. Nice work on documenting it btw :)

Thanks for the pictures. That is very close! I suppose the XP120 would practically touch the RAM if it has heatspreaders on! (Hate to sound redundant here ) :D

Last edited:
On thermalright site , there is the installation example on an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe.
They installed the heathsink in the opposite direction: the heatpipes are facing the i/o panel and the RAM sticks are under the fins of the heatsink.

(on the site, click "Installation" then "XP-120 (K8)")

Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc said:
On thermalright site , there is the installation example on an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe.
They installed the heathsink in the opposite direction: the heatpipes are facing the i/o panel and the RAM sticks are under the fins of the heatsink.

I tried that, not enough clearance for the heat pipes on the A8V. The only way it fits is like the above pics unless you start bending stoofs.

Yeah, it won't fit at all if you rotate it 180°. This is the only orientation that works for the A8V.

Last edited:
Marcus Marti said:
I did bend a little and that way it fits perfectly.
The heatpipes are facing the I/O panel so the RAM is clear.

It takes balls to bend crap on your mobo. Cheers! :thup:

As a matter of fact I have a XP 120 installed also and it fits both ways.
Bending the stoofs a little is no problem they are quite sturdy as long as you don't bend too much ofcourse.

Did you notice better cooling, since you added the xp120, from your old xp90.
Thanks

Been awhile since this thread was started but i thought id add to it anyway..

Got 2 sticks of Ballistix DDR500 in my A8V and it fits nicely, gotta admit the gap between the heatpipes and heatspreader is about 1mm :eek: but hey it aint touching so :D

Back