• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Probe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eobard

Give me a break Senior
Here's an informal poll. I'd like to know from everyone using PROBE if you're getting the erroneous core temperature readings. A lot of people have mentioned having exactly 10c too much when compared to other temp sensing methods but I don't. I'm wondering if the problem is restricted to certain ANUS boards only. So if you could sound off as to which board you have and wether or not your PROBE temps match MBM or SANDRA or whatever I'd appreciate it. I'll go first:

A7V-E = accurate readings

Last edited:
A7V266 Accurate readings
A7V266-E Accurate readings
I did have that problem with one of my boards though, I cant remember which one as I have owned alot of Asus boards and put together lots of machines with Asus boards.

A7V and A7V133 temperatures appear to be off 10C higher than actual on both.

Vcore is also reported to be 1.92 in Sandra compared to the BIOS setting of 1.85V

I hope this helps.

Hi eobard

Interesting! I never noticed that!!

I double checked my Bios knowing that it`s set to 1.750 VCore. & yes my Asus Probe tells me that it`s set to 1.824 VCore???

Now what?

Acko

Asus A7V266-E / Alpha 8045
XP1600+ / 512 Crucial DDR PC2100
Geforce 3
30 Gig Maxtor 7200rpm / 100 ATA
VideoLogic Sonicfury
Plextor 12/10/32A
Antec 1035
19" Iiyama Monitor

The first post had this data "the erroneous core voltage readings. A lot of people have mentioned having exactly 10c too much", which is a contradiction.

I have an A7V and an A7V133 and they both report CPU temps about 8c - 10c higher in AsusProbe than the LCD probe next to the core and MBM5.
The LCD probe and MBM5 are within 2c of each other.
AsusProbe is a surface mounted sensor which is about 1/4" away from the back of the CPU ceramic case. It actually measures the air within the space at the center of the Socket-A.
The software adds to the reading in an attempt to compensate for this condition, and does it poorly!
:D

Last edited:
PDL

Are you then saying that say an Asus probe cpu reading of 48C under load is actually 38C under load.

Acko

PDL said:
The first post had this data "the erroneous core voltage readings. A lot of people have mentioned having exactly 10c too much", which is a contradiction.

I have an A7V and an A7V133 and they both report CPU temps about 8c - 10c higher in AsusProbe than the LCD probe next to the core and MBM5.
The LCD probe and MBM5 are within 2c of each other.
AsusProbe is a surface mounted sensor which is about 1/4" away from the back of the CPU ceramic case. It actually measures the air within the space at the center of the Socket-A.
The software adds to the reading in an attempt to compensate for this condition, and does it poorly!
:D

I said voltage instead of temps, you're right, my bad. Going to correct it now. :rolleyes:

Acko said:
PDL

Are you then saying that say an Asus probe cpu reading of 48C under load is actually 38C under load.

Acko

That's what he's saying. That's what I would have said too if I had bothered to proof read my post that started this all. :rolleyes:

As for incorrect voltage reading PROBE is fine for me but SANDRA just displays whatever the h311 she wants. (I got 1.06v instead of 1.6v before I did my L7's.)

Acko said:
PDL

Acko

I'm saying that IN MY CASE it is/was but in some other case it may be dead-on or it may swing the other way. Suffice to say that it is a known problem with AsusProbe. There was an interview with the guy who developed ASII and he said something to the effect that expecting an external sensor to give an accurate reading of a CPU core is simply laughable!
I agree!

Back