• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Emergency makeshift thermal paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's right! Lap it with 5000 grit until there is suction! (Only half kidding)

2:10 is a surprise ;)

That's right! Lap it with 5000 grit until there is suction! (Only half kidding)

2:10 is a surprise ;)

WOW, nice temps for not having any thermal paste! ( yeah, i know...i ruined the surprise...but more people will click to the link to see the setup, if they know its running paste-less )

now mind you, you CAN run paste-less without burning up a CPU. i used to work for a company, and i'd test out CPU's, RAM, PSU's, Motherboards, CD/DVD-drives from computers that were sent back for whatever reason.

I had to run a diagnostic tool on each CPU. I'd clean off the thermal paste from the CPU i'd test, then i'd slap it into a mobo, and run the test. Which, i ran the test with a stock A64 Heatsink. Although, i had the heatsinks latched down, so there was PRESSURE, but i didn't use thermal paste. The temps were not TOO bad, as the heatsink/CPU's were not lapped at all.

so its entirely possible to run a PC without any Thermal Paste. But its not advisable, nor should it be done for an extended period of time....or when you are going to expect a full CPU load.

to bad the guy in the video didn't load windows, and test the temps at full load! hehe. also would have been sweet if the guy had the heatsink latched to the motherboard, so there would have been pressure on it! The fact that he had no pressure other than the weight of the heatsink shows that he did a pretty damn good lapping job.

though..it HAS to be mentioned....

Mirror shine does NOT equal FLAT. big difference between the two. Its possible to get a mirror shine without the heatsink being flat. and if the heatsink isn't flat...well...all the shinyness means nothing when you have a burned CPU under the heatsink.

Back