• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What increase will i get with a RAID controller over my fake raid controller? RAID 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

What increase will i get with a RAID controller over my fake raid controller? RAID 5

Everything is in the title... I have a EVGA 680i motherboard with one of them fake raid things, and I'm running 3 raptors on raid 5 and I get a 220 score with that popular hd benching program, I forget the name...

I'm wondering how much improvement will I see with a raid controller card, and would it be worth it?

From what Ive read here, what you call the "fake" raid controller is a software controller that runs off the cpu, and the only benefit youll see is if you get a hardware raid card (the expensive ones with the onboard processor) instead of a software card, but thats from glancing at other threads.

youd need a raid card with a onboard XOR proc. to trump the "fake-raid". those cards arent cheap. youll notice much faster writes. reads should be about teh same.

Back