• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD goes in... computer reboots???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krome

I have done a whole bunch of new stuff to my PC...

New Radeon
New SoundCard
New Modem
New OS.. Windows 2000 Pro
Installed DirectX 8.1
Installed PowerStrip
Installed Win2000 Drivers for Radeon/DVD

Now when I put in a DVD to watch, the "Compaq" screen comes on...it's rebooting. This happens like 60% of the time now. :mad: Anybody have any ideas?

I have never heard of it rebooting like that. Is it with just a DVD or a CD-ROM too. You might want to go to the BIOS upon startup here check to see if the IDE drive is listed and working. I do believe F10 gets you into BIOS. Let me know what you see/happens.

You said your computer was a compaq correct? May it be that the PSU is not giving enough juice with all the upgrades, and making the DVD start up is enough to push it over the edge and force a reboot? Being a compaq computer (or anypre-build system for that matter) i can hardly imagine them using a larger PSU than needed. But honestly i am not a guru when it comes to power supplies so id check withsomeone else. But if you do have an extra PSU kickin arount try plugging all your dvd/cd-rw(if you hve on into it) and see if it still does it. G'luck to you.

Jon Austin

its your power supply, i had the same problem with my computer, so get a 400 watt psu or something like that and you should be great....with my system, i had a cd-rw and a dvd drive, but the dvd doesnt work with win2k anyway so i took it out...problem solved...now i just need a new psu.....hmmm

I read somewhere that I had to configure my IDE as follows...

IDE 0
master: HDD
slave: CD/RW

IDE 1
master: DVD ROM

MY CONFIGURATION AS IT STANDS...

IDE 0

IDE 1
master: CD-RW
slave: DVD

:D I reset the BIOS, and it seems to be working... I will keep y'all posted.

it's really shady here... if i'm online, and try to start-up the DVD it reboots, but if im watching a DVD, and sign on to EarthLink, it works like a charm??? I don't think it's the power supply, what can it be??? Thanks for the replies thus far.

What DVD drive do you have?

I have encountered similar problems twice.

one was a faulty firmware, update corrected it.

the other was a bad ide cable, replacement fixed it.

hope these help.

Krome said:
I read somewhere that I had to configure my IDE as follows...

IDE 0
slave: CD/RW

IDE 1
master: DVD ROM

MY CONFIGURATION AS IT STANDS...

IDE 0

IDE 1
master: CD-RW
slave: DVD

I know this doesn't answer your reboot problem, but there is at least one good reason to set your drives up as in the first example: it reduces buffer problems. When the DVD and CDRW are both on the same channel and you try to copy from one drive to the other, they have to share the cable. You get buffer under-runs and such. I had that problem until I set mine on separate channels.

:D I reset the BIOS, and it seems to be working... I will keep y'all posted.

Back