• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to set affinity on startup. XP64.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Binow

I am trying to play Everquest again but having problems with my 165. Is there a way I can make the game start up using only one core? I see a lot of programs that will do it but can't find one that works for xp64. Any help is appreciated.

Yeah I can set it in task manager...but I have to go in and do that each time I run the exe. Was hoping there was a way to not have to do that.

Make a BAT file
file location -a 0
use 1 to set it for other cpu.
Place in startup foler to start at boot or desktop to set before you play.

Ex
C:/xx/simple.exe -a 0

Last edited:
Can't you just do this in a shortcut as well, like C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\codmp.exe -a 0 in the properties of a desktop shortcut?

Also, if you make a batch file, tell it to start instead of executing the file, like this:

start C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\codmp.exe -a 0

That way you don't get a dos window hanging around in the background.

In addition to the other suggestions (although I'm not sure if it works wth x64), Applied Visual Technologies has a free utility called xcpu that gives you the ability to launch a program and set affinity from the command line. You can get it here...

http://www.appliedvisual.com/xcpu.htm

The following command line should get the effect that you desire...

xcpu.exe -a 0 -p 2 -c <path to exe>

In the command line above the -a switch sets affinity to CPU0, the -p switch sets priority to Normal and the -c switch identifies the command line you want xcpu to execute.

Back