• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I run CHKDSK from a boot disk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I've got a sick hard drive with a corrupted NTFS partition. I can boot from Knoppix and read the contents, so all is not lost. I want to repair it, but I can't boot into safe mode, I can't boot into the recovery console, I can't boot to the Windows Ultimate Boot CD, and I can't even boot and do a repair installation. I tried Partition Magic 8.0 and it confirmed the problems with the file system, but didn't fix them (Symantec says to use CHKDSK :bang head ) All of them are relatively minor problems and all can be repaired by running CHKDSK.

There MUST be a way to boot from a floppy (or CD-based utility) and simply run
"chkdsk /f", but I can find no utility to do this. I've been working on this stupid thing for over 6 hours.

Please help...

I'm not sure you even can. Even with ntfs read/write drivers in dos, chkdsk does lower level stuff, and a dos chkdsk app for FAT filesystems probably won't be able to handle ntfs.

This is part of why I still use fat32 for my windows partition. Other OS's can work with it so much more easily. NTFS is ok if you're 100% in windows NT/2K/XP, but it's totally incompatible with other OS's like dos or linux.

I found this page from Google. I had the similar BSOD - Bad Header problem and could not run chkdsk as Windows would not start. Thanks to your above comments I have found NTFS4DOS Private 1.4 and the floppy version solved the problem. Very useful software! Special thanks to its author(s).

How could you boot from a CD but not be able to use the original CD to boot into recovery consol??

Back