• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

graphics card quandry x800pro x800xl

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

Well, I can bite the bullit for the price of the XL if I have to. Which should I go for? I wouldn't be doing too much overclocking, if any. I'd add whatever the best silencer that fits each card.

Would I be better off seeing if the pro will mod to 16 pipes or just get the xl and get what I can get out of it?

Jacobman said:
Well compusa has just put their x800xl to $272, compliments to capt_caveman, and the x800pro is like 400. I would get the x800xl hands down.
Link to this deal? because thats awesome.

I'd also get the XL of course and if you're able to find one with the ati cooler (it looks like those 9800XT coolers) you won't even need a silencer for it.

Lifthanger said:
I'd also get the XL of course and if you're able to find one with the ati cooler (it looks like those 9800XT coolers) you won't even need a silencer for it.
Pretty sure they all come with that. Simply because they have a smaller die process doesnt make them run any cooler. You still ought to silence them the right way.

The deal is on the main ati forum but word is they're sold out for two to three weeks at a minimum. They were sold out within 15 minutes.

The reason to silence = htpc case for kickass computer = lots of heat = move it outside, ladies!

edit ati, not amd
edit again: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=367818

I can get the x800xl for 380 in two days or the pro for 375 tonight. Granted, I can't order that soon - gotta wait for a paycheck uh... next week. I might just order a backordered xl from c.usab.com for 275 and wait. Thing is I sold my 9800 last night and I don't think my friend will let me borrow a 6600gt until the card arrives. Oh well... ati's onboard graphics aren't that bad, just no hl2. *remembers having to relearn CSS over the past week and a half AGAIN, for the third time*

Last edited:
Sentential said:
Pretty sure they all come with that. Simply because they have a smaller die process doesnt make them run any cooler. You still ought to silence them the right way.
i'd pay a little more and get the powercolor x800xl vivo, it is exactly the same as x800xt vivo and x800xtpe, but with lower clocks of course

actually they usually come with a dinky cooler, sometimes they come with the x800 one, and some come with the x800 style that cools the ram, the 9800xt coolers look like the x800 coolers:

sapphire x800xl
media_451.jpg

BBA x800xl
x800xlfront.jpg

powercolor x800xl w/ vivo, 1.6ns ram, dual dvi, and power connector
directron_1832_289267217

Last edited:
Gautam said:
$275 X800 Pro...see sig for results... :D

I'd love to see an X800XL touch me.

Not everybody has a hookup for a $275 pro. If I could find a pro that cheap I'd probably get one too.

bobmanfoo said:
i dunno, if x800pro and xl were the same price ill still take the XL, but thats just me

You spent double what I did; you've got 16 pipes, I've got 12. And even still, my clocks rival yours...I've got yet to give 1.6v to my GPU. It does 630 at 1.5v on air.

Yeah, I got a hookup. But as it stands right now, Pro's and XL's usually go for about the same amount, and Pat's got the Pro as an option for 5 bucks less than the XL. The Pro is an excellent and reliable overclocker. From what I've seen of the XL, it doesn't look very impressive. Sure, its got 16 pipes, but then so does a 6800GT, which is also just even with the X800Pro.

Gautam said:
You spent double what I did; you've got 16 pipes, I've got 12. And even still, my clocks rival yours...I've got yet to give 1.6v to my GPU. It does 630 at 1.5v on air.....
how does your clocks rival mine? show me someone who had a x800pro modded to 16pipes that can get the same OC as when it was 12pipes, its alot harder to get high clock stable with 16pipes
and i know i spent twice as much on my card, but whats that got to do with anything? i also got 1.6ns ram, VIVO, dual dvi, PCI-E, and the fastest card available along with that 16 pipes :-/

and you should read this review if you haven't already: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=362951

bobmanfoo said:
how does your clocks rival mine? show me someone who had a x800pro modded to 16pipes that can get the same OC as when it was 12pipes, its alot harder to get high clock stable with 16pipes
and i know i spent twice as much on my card, but whats that got to do with anything? i also got 1.6ns ram, VIVO, dual dvi, PCI-E, and the fastest card available along with that 16 pipes :-/

and you should read this review if you haven't already: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=362951
True, you've got a great card and great clocks, but its no surprise its the fastest, and its not part of this debate either-- we're comparing an X800Pro to an X800XL. Of course an X850XT wastes both of them. That's what the price has gotta to do with it.

The X800XL isn't a bad card, but in the end, it usually maxes out in the mid 400 range, except for some lucky or very well cooled ones. I still haven't seen any X800XL's make it to the 6K range in 05, most in the mid/low 5k range. Solid as a stock card, but the overclockability just isn't there.

true, and i see where you are coming from,but i've yet to see how an x800xl with a power connector would OC

edit:
just read one and it only hit 440 on the core....

bobmanfoo said:
i'd pay a little more and get the powercolor x800xl vivo, it is exactly the same as x800xt vivo and x800xtpe, but with lower clocks of course

actually they usually come with a dinky cooler, sometimes they come with the x800 one, and some come with the x800 style that cools the ram, the 9800xt coolers look like the x800 coolers:

your pictures show what I wanted to say: according to reviews the ati cooler is more silent and cooler than this (IMHO) crappy looking sapphire sink. Not to mention the ugly girl on the sink.. I'd prefer the ugly axe-bearing orc. ;)

And yes, it is true, despite of the smaller die process this card puts out about the same amount of heat as the 130nm core at these clocks (also according to reviews).

I also understand gautams point about the x800pro.. it's a reliable (with and w/o voltmod) overclocker, but to make a fair comparison we should wait for a voltmodded XL. Maybe they're all running at the minimum voltage, just waiting for more.

Back