• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600gt sli or 1 6800gt pcie?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ambiguous

Ok, iam going to be upgrading my mobo,cpu and gfx cards after xmas and I have been reading alot, but I cant make up my mind. Should I go with dual 6600gt in sli on an nforce4 board or just find one 6800gt pcie and have the capability of upgrading to another card in the future, that is if i can find the card and not cost like $650? I have been reading that the sli 6600gt is quite comprable to the one 6800gt, so what would you guys recommend?

Well, running dual 6600GT's will be sexy, though I doubt any faster than a top of the line 6800GT board. Nonetheless, if you are planning to buy an SLI motherboard it'd be a shame not to have the pair of cards. ;)
I'm planning on running a pair of 6600GT's on an nforce4 board myself...though if you are considering a different board which doesn't support SLI I'd definitely recommend taking that route to save some $$. We'll have to see where all the SLI stuff takes us, though for now I'm content to run a pair of midrange cards for amusement. :thup:

yeah dual 6600 gts are almost identical in performance to a single 6800gt and sometimes slower (haven't seen more than a few benchies in which they beat it), however if u could afford dual 6800 le or nus and softmod the extra pipelines open (so the core becomes a gt/ultra) u should beat 6800 gt performance on a budget

the only non ultra 6800 i have found is this msi on newegg, anyone know if its softmoddable? or if a good card, i havent read any reviews on it or heard anyone talk about it, but two of these in sli would pretty nice if i could unlock the extra pipelines.

MSI 6800nu

I would look at the new ATI X800XL it is a $100 buck cheaper then the 6800GT and it beats it in every game except doom 3.

But you don't get to have all that SLI sexiness with the ATI card now do you? :bang head
hehe...I still like the idea of looking in and seeing two cards. Too bad my powersupply and thermometer don't seem as enthusiastic about it!
:thup:

SLI sexyness.. but the $$$ to buy 2 cards is alot, t hats why i wont be going to Nvidia again once my 6800GT gets old and slow, i will go to ATI

Isn't ATI working on developing multiple card systems as well? (Remembers the RageFuryMAXX and laughs...silly first gen AFR scheme) From a business standpoint it's a cashcow, and an easy way of increasing performance without having to develop a vastly superior single product. Hmm, can I get that car with a V16 instead? :beer:

If I was rich I would get two 6800Ultras but since I am not I would go for the most bang for the buck and at this time the X800XL seems to be it.

the ati x800xl cards are not sli compatible so thats why iam not considering those cards. I have only seen the msi in the 6800nu no other cards, so what should I do hold out and wait for the 6800gt to drop or get the 2 6600gt?

Dual 6600GTs are faster than a Single 6800 Ultra (400/1200) in over 90% of benchmarks excluding only the benches that are run at 1600x1200 where the 6800 Ultra wins because of its insane 1.2GHz 256-bit memory interface.

6600GT is hands down the best bang for buck if your looking into buying a high end PC and was thinking of going SLI. Two 6600GTs ($500CAD) is $50 cheaper than a 6800GT ($550CAD) and will outperform the 6800GT in everything if ran at 1280x960 or lower.

$500 for 8Giga pixels of graphics fillrate. Now thats impressive!

OC-Master

Im with Mindwarp, get a 6800gt now or late january when the prices drop (hopefully) and then in 1 year or more get another 6800gt when it will be very cheap.

the problem with the pcix 6800gt is that their very expensive and very hard to find, which means out of my price range. cheapest would be around 500+ and I cant afford that right now expecially since the board is 200+ as well. I might just end up getting the agp 6800gt and msi neo nforce3.

Ambiguous said:
the problem with the pcix 6800gt is that their very expensive and very hard to find, which means out of my price range. cheapest would be around 500+ and I cant afford that right now expecially since the board is 200+ as well. I might just end up getting the agp 6800gt and msi neo nforce3.
You could do that but you would be condeming yourself to a complete upgrade in less than a year.

What I would do (and did do) is order the 6600GT (or 6800GT) for now, and go AGP. Save your $$$ because only games that are designed to work with SLI will actually use both video cards, which won't do you much good for another 6 months or so (when they drop in price anyway). I do know that nVidia and AMD are working on package sets and multi-purchase discount deals for the next fiscal year; the goal is to make twin-card arrangements as affordable as comparable ATI single-slot cards. You'll also see a lot of goodies designed for nforce4/SLI combinations, often offered as a single package purchase for around $600, possibly with pre-939 64's in the mix.

THat's why ATI's crying foul, even though the got the X-Box2 and all the Nintendo units. nVidia nabbed the PS3, and they're working on making it very difficult for ATI chipsets to perform as well with AMD components as their own by creating bonuses for combining nVidia and ATI, and Intel isn't interested in backing a specific card so ATI is left out in the cold.

Needless to say, an ATI on an nForce4+ motherboard may be a bottleneck in and of itself in the near future.

edit: Accidentally put PS2 where it now says PS3, had to fix it.

geid3811 said:
I couldn't agree more.

I would love to get a 6800gt pcie but I cant find one anywhere in stock and one that doesnt cost 500.00, so I dont know what else I could get with in my budget besides one or two of the 6800nu which are 330.00 each.

Back