• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advertising in games(NFSU2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dartor

So I started playing NFSU2 and was tooling around town when I spy a BK sign. I thought this was kinda cool for them to think of details like this. Then I see a BK shop and another sign and then the game is telling me there is stuff near the BK. WTF ! Why is it necassary to have this crap in my game.

So far I've seen Pontiac(fair cause they have the GTO in the game), Red Zone (wtf deodorant), cingular and some others signs. I mean how much did EA get for this sham.

I haven't seen such blatant commerical whoring since TNMT 2 for the NES. Pizza smut really f'ed that one up.

I ask you, why must my game be ruined by these products. I'll buy it if I want to buy it not cause its blaring in my face every 30 seconds.

What other games are this shameful??

Wow. And I was actually thinking of buying NFSU2 since I liked the first so much. Very disappointing.

EA == the cheap ***** of the gaming world.

dartor said:
Don't get me wrong the game is still very fun, but it is distracting to see that kinda stuff.

I'm sure it is. I liked the demo... but if we support that sort of garbage in our games by buying the titles that have those ads in them, then it will only perpetuate this trend, and very possibly could make things worse. I'd personally rather not see a McDonald's commercial while my next level of HL2 is loading if you catch my drift. ;)

In-game ads aren't that new. But most have been supporting computer related things, like nVidia, ATI, Intel, etc. This markething strategy implemented by EA just gives the larger advertising industry a possible foothold on the biggest segment of the entertainment industry. :-/

I was reading an older copy of wired today and it pointed out that game companys like EA used to have to pay to have products (like cars) in there games. But now companys (like GM) pay game companys to have their products in the games, for advertising. EA loves crap like that.

Very true. The Tony Hawk series is pretty notorious for that too. Up until THPS3, I believe, it was mainly skating ads and logos in it... until you started seeing Nokia logos everywhere...

Yeah, its not like EA is too poor to efford to make a game with help of these lame-*** companies. I mean it IS distracting when your driving and you see "Pontic LoL!". UGH... I shouldn't be complaining now, its just going to get worst :/.

I hate the bestbuy logos there EVERYWHERE
I dont like seeing advertising when i play the games, I dont mind the nvida or ati adds in the opening scenes but it shoulnt go beyound that

on the other hand it is cool to blow apart the computer in CS:source and see a 9800 PRO, Sound Blaster Audigy, IBM hard drive,etc, but thats very subtle and you have to deal alot with computers to be able to reconize a 9800 PRO on site

I really hate the in game ads sometimes, part of the reason for playing games is just to escape reality, seeing these ads seems to kind of defeat that purpose, is destracting, and im not going to go out and get a coke cause i saw some game character drinking one.

These ads are in a bunch of games really. There were McDonalds billboards in the first NFSU, if I'm not mistaken.

It doesn't bother me. I kinda go, eh 'cool' sometimes.

I don't mind...I think it's kinda cool

And if the business' pay them money for that stuff, then the less money I have to pay for them to see a nice profit! lol

Or at least the more money that can go into dev. for the game...

having a commercial is crosing ALL LINES .... having small logos here and there is perfectly ok espically if it makes the game cheaper ....

but the cingular wht does tht have to with anything ergh.... seriously its called target audince ... sigh..

iLLestOne said:
Or at least the more money that can go into dev. for the game...

LOL... yea right! More money that lines the pockets of the EA execs. Maybe they'll need that extra cash to pay their employees' that settlement in the class action lawsuit being brought up against them... unless slave labor was legalized again, and EA's the only one who knows it...

Advertising in games is absolutely nonsense. But you know what's next? Targetted gaming advertisements. Oh yeah, can you imagine the possibilities of steam spyware with popular games like HL2...

I can see a few plugs here and there for the purpose of detail and realism. But when you overdo it- you make the game less worth what you paid for it. If advertisments are going to flood gaming, I will simply stop paying money for them.

Well at least the game was $39.99 and not $49.99 or even $59.99. I don't really mind small ads here and there, but when they begin introduce blatant advertising everywhere in a game, I'm going to be pissed.

Back