• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chrome paint problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Hey I am using some chrome paint and I am having some problems with it. It looks pretty good if you take your time, but after it dries if you rub it, it turns gray. I tried to spray it with a clear coat, but the paint turned gray and no longer looked chrome. Ok guys heres the question "How the hell do I seal the paint so that it does not wear out so fast?" Any help would be apriciated. Thanks ahead of time.

so, you might want to try this on a scrap peice of metal. put the clear coat down FIRST, then put the chrome down over it, i read that chrome reflects the layer under it, don't quote me on this though so try it on a scrap piece of metal

The problem wasn't that it did not look chrome, but when you rub it, it turns gray (aka rubed the shinny stuff off). Got any ideas on how to seal it?

How long are you letting it dry before you rub it. I tried that chrome paint on some faceplates, and it needed about 2-3 weeks to fully dry to the point where it didnt rub off.

That might be my problem. I waited a day or so. I guess this kind of paint needs to completly cure before it is usable. A clear coat would still be nice to put on it. Thank you all for the input. I think you all will like the new project. I am still open to more ideas if you all have any.

ive used the same stuff before: on my bike, and it will turn a dull grey if you rub it, even after a while... Id like to know too how to protect it.

Try this: Spray the chrome down, let it dry for a good two days but don't sand it. Spray the clear coat over it then do the sanding process on the clear coat making sure not to go through to the paint. That might just fix your problem.

I waited 4 days and sprayed with clear coat and it killed the finish and made it turn grey. Lol who ever made this paint needs to be smacked for not telling us how to seal the sucker.

I brought it in. When i say the clear coat made it turn gray, I mean that as soon as it hit it. The thing changed color right as the clear coat hit it. I read all the stuff on the back of the can and it says do not use on bright colors. I am guessing this is considered to be a bright color lol. Basically it is not a mattter of the clear coat clouding up, but more of a problem that it is actually melting the top layer of the chrome paint.

Darn this evil paint. Looks good, but not good if it is ever touched :) . Still looking for an idea if anyone would like to take a stab at figuring it out.

this is how i fixed the problem.

when your spraying the clear coat on the chrome,make sure to keep the surface flat so the clear coat doesnt have a chance to run down and making it look grey.

also keep the clear coat spray far (3') from the chrome and dont spray at it to keep it from hitting the chrome hard. make the clear coat fall on top of the chrome like a mist and it'll keep the chrome color for the most part.

Sounds like yours still isn't curing all the way before the thinners in the top coat redisolve the bottom layer....

Try placing your freshly chromed piece in a large box (with a vent hole or two) with a 40 watt light. The lightbulb will heat the box, and cure the paint faster. Make sure the box isn't getting too hot (about 100f degrees is good) every hour or so the first day...if it is, use a smaller light bulb, or cut a couple more air holes. You don't want it to burst into flames....parents/neighbors hate that. ;)
One ghetto paint curing chamber.

Then when you go to spray the clear, just give it a quick dusting of the clear coat. Let dry, dust it, let dry...etc. Build up layers of the clear coat so that not much thinner is sprayed onto the surface at one time. Patience really pays off here. After you're sure that all the chrome paint is well covered, then you can give it a good coat to bring up some gloss.

That should help alot.

Wow man thanks. I will definatly have to try that. I never thought of curing it with a lightbulb...DOH... I will show the results when I am done. Thanks again.

I bet if you used quality paint it wouldnt happen and anything you get at walmart isnt quality.

Lol you assume I got it at wallmart? It was Duplicolor crome incase you were interested. Now I am not really up on my spray paint brands, but I believe many would agree that it is a quality brand. And yes quality of paint does matter, but the way chrome paint is made, using a clear coat disolves the top layer where the shinny metal is and turns it gray.

Dupli color is okay but you can still do better if you are up to it, and is the clear coat made by the same company?

Back