• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help set up MBM5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Well, I just got my system running, and I went to set up MBM5, chose the proper mobo, and that was all I knew what to do. It tells me that the diode is 13 Celcius, case is 31, and socket is 34. Something is wrong. Is there anyway I can have someone's ini file? thanks in advance.

The "Diode" reading is something else - it's never correct for me. In fact, it seems to have an inverse relationship with everything else. So don't worry about it. Other than that, everything should be set up just fine with MBM5's stock settings.

*EDIT* FYI, the voltage sensor called 'W83627HF Abit BE7/KX7" seems to be vDIMM. I wouldn't trust any of the voltage sensors - my multimeter says that they suck.

Last edited:
So should I add 10 degrees tot the "socket" one in order to get the correct diode? Or as long as it is in the 30's then is it OK? thanks again.

Another thing, my friggen flopy light wont go off! lol. I dont know why, lemme know if you have a clue.

This is what I have figured out... or atleast what I go by:

Winbond 1 - Southbridge (or nearby)
Winbond 2 - Diode
Winbond 3 - Socket

The reading off Winbond 1 is one im sure about... if you aim a fan at the SB the reading will drop (its also what the BIOS reads as the "case temp").

Winbond 2 is the one that generally reads the highest and fluctuates only with load and/or fan speed. It is also what is reported in the BIOS as "CPU temperature"

Winbond 3 generally stays within (below) a few degrees of Winbond 2 and goes up and down in the same manner as WB2.

Winbond 3 IS NOT THE NORTHBRIDGE TEMP SENSOR. I have a Thermalright NB-1 on my northbridge and whether the fan is running or not the reading from Winbond 3 is not affected.

All other sensors listed in MBM either are way out of range of any possible temp, fluctuate wildly, or never change in value.

Of course I could be wrong on these, but from my testing these make sense. :D

Last edited:
dreIU said:
Another thing, my friggen flopy light wont go off! lol. I dont know why, lemme know if you have a clue.

You might have the ribbon cable plugged in upside down, has happened to me:eek:

Yeah, floppy light staying on is usually the floppy ribbon plugged into the floppy upside down.

The Diode temp is screwed up, as far as I can tell. In fact, the temp sensors on this board are screwed up in general. I have water cooling, and at stock the CPU temp reports lower than ambient. At 1.9v and full load the CPU is 3C above ambient. Diode is always all over the place because it's just wrong. System temps go up, it goes down. System temps go down, it goes up.

Check the MBM setup to make sure your sensors are set up correctly:

Board = Lanparty Nforce II Ultra
Case Sensor = Winbond 1
CPU Sensor (socket) = Winbond 2
CPU Sensor (diode) = W83L785TS-S Diode

Setting the CPU sensor to that gives me a reading of 17C. Setting it to W83L785TS-S (no diode) gives me 31C. That's still 1C below ambient. The other two were already set up correctly.

IM still a little confused... here is what i see:

under the temperatures submenu: "MBM5 sensor" is set to "case"
"should display board sensor" is set to "Winbond 1"
now under voltages, "MBM Voltage sensor" is set to "Core 0"
"voltage configuration" is set to "W83627HF Standard 1".

Now which one of those do I change. Sorry I am so lost, but on the old mobo, somebody created an .ini file to download, so I never had to mess with it. thanks again.

First thing that I notice is that alot of people assume that "case temp" = ambient temp. THIS IS NOT TRUE, especially when it comes to these DFI boards. Winbond 1 reads the temp at or near the southbridge and the southbridge generates a decent amount of heat.

For instance, right now my room temp is 20C and Winbond 1 is reporting a case temp of 34C. I have 4 120mm case fans, so I know I have suficient air flow so that my case is not heating up 14C. In fact, I guarantee that the air being blown over my CPU heatsink is not more than 1 or 2 degrees above room temp.

People say its not possible for your CPU to be cooler than the case temp, but thats not the case (pun intended :D ). The sensor that reports case temp is heavily influenced by the heat generated by the southbridge, but that is a very small and localized heat source, therefore it has very little effect on components more than an inch or two away. Obviously, the CPU cannot run cooler than the air being blown though the fan on top of the heatsink, but THAT air is not the temperature of the air near the southbridge. therefore its very possible for the reported CPU temp to be lower than the reported "case" temp.

Now... as I said, take a spare fan and blow it directly at the SB from only a couple of inches away. I just did it to mine and the temperature reported by Winbond 1 (case temp) dropped 11C! Now THATS your case temp! :D

dreIU said:
IM still a little confused... here is what i see:

under the temperatures submenu: "MBM5 sensor" is set to "case"
"should display board sensor" is set to "Winbond 1"
now under voltages, "MBM Voltage sensor" is set to "Core 0"
"voltage configuration" is set to "W83627HF Standard 1".

Now which one of those do I change. Sorry I am so lost, but on the old mobo, somebody created an .ini file to download, so I never had to mess with it. thanks again.

Theres no need to mess with the voltages. :) You started out right, just go back to the "MBM5 sensor" drop-down box and select the next one down from "Case" (should be "CPU") and then in the box below select Winbond 2 and click Apply. The click on "Visual" below the sensor box and change the sensor name to Diode (or whatever you want) and click Apply. (I like seeing the changes I made right away)

Then just go back up to the MBM5 Sensor drop down box and you should see that the 1st "CPU" is now change to what you typed in . Then just select CPU (third item in the list) then set it to Winbond 3. Then you can rename it "Socket" or whatever and it should be all good. :)

mitro said:

Theres no need to mess with the voltages. :) You started out right, just go back to the "MBM5 sensor" drop-down box and select the next one down from "Case" (should be "CPU") and then in the box below select Winbond 2 and click Apply. The click on "Visual" below the sensor box and change the sensor name to Diode (or whatever you want) and click Apply. (I like seeing the changes I made right away)

Then just go back up to the MBM5 Sensor drop down box and you should see that the 1st "CPU" is now change to what you typed in . Then just select CPU (third item in the list) then set it to Winbond 3. Then you can rename it "Socket" or whatever and it should be all good. :)

Ok, excellent, it all makes sense now!!! thanks so much

well the temps seem right, after following your guys' help, but they dot seem to go up at all when I prime it. odd or what?

People say its not possible for your CPU to be cooler than the case temp, but thats not the case (pun intended ). The sensor that reports case temp is heavily influenced by the heat generated by the southbridge, but that is a very small and localized heat source, therefore it has very little effect on components more than an inch or two away.
Oh...duh. I didn't consider that both of my radiator fans are intake from room air...

I must be out of it today.

Back