• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

turbolink psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
can some help? i'm making my purchase asap, those people with the aspire x-alien case, it the psu good enough? have you taken apart the psu to see the insides? any pix?

Before you buy something with a TurboLink PSU, check this thread because Channel Well Technology's products are all over the quality map, with only the A or B suffix PSUs being decent (i.e., CWT-350BD, CWT-480AD). The others are Deer-like junk. The good Channel Wells have the power wires coming out the opposite side than usual, meaning if you hold the PSU with the rear fan facing you, the wires will come out on the front on the same side as the fan, not diagonally opposite, as is normal for ATX.

larrymoencurly said:
The others are Deer-like junk.

I've seen no proof of them being that bad, or even close. I've had access to five different CWT models from all over their product lineup: 250w, 300w, 350w, 375w, and my own 420w. None of them have ever given cause to make me think the failure rate on any of their PSU's is anywhere near as high as Deer.

I'll admit I don't feel the quality of their lower models is up to the same level as the A and B series, but they are hardly in the same category as Deer.

Turbolink OTOH is another kettle of fish - there is evidence that many of their 420w units are not CWT at all, but Real Power Enterprise. It's not hard to tell them apart - aside from a trace on the UL file number, the CWT unit is heavy while the RPE is light. This is why I would stay away from these unless they can prove it's the CWT model - the RPE model is reported to be junk.

RPE Model: http://www.ocmodshop.com/powerglowpsu/open.jpg
CWT Model: http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/psu/cwt420/cwt420-05.jpg

Edit - just did a trace of the UL file number in Newegg's pic of the Turbolink... it's the RPE version. I'd get Newegg to swap it for a Fortron 350w or better.

Last edited:
most of the turbolinks are RPE version but some aren't. you have to look at the model number.

RPE version- 420ATX-12V
CWT version- CWT-420ATX-12V

I have a Turbolink CWT 420ATX. It is the worst powersupply, I've ever owned. It could be mislabelled, the quality of the case and components are terrible. The voltages bounce like crazy and the output is far below 420W. I've owned a couple old CWTs and this isn't on the same planet. It is very possible that turbolink is using the same label for non-CWT powersupplies. It has been setting on a shelf for a while. I considering taking the fans out and cutting the wiring and scrapping the rest.

I got a tubolinkPSU in a chenmig case from newegg and the PSU 3.3v rail would not keep up with the system. Newegg however let me RMA the PSU only and relaced it with an Enlight 420W which was much better. They even sent me the new PSU first. So in that case it was like a free upgrade (just 3 weeks after the initial purchase)

Back