• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

netgear vs. linksys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mfjonny

I have a question: which is a better brand for cable modems and routers? netgear or linksys? what about for wireless networking equipment?

I personally own a linksys cable modem and router and had no problems with it, but my girlfriend (who is going to be buying a new cable modem and router herself) likes the design of the netgear stuff (matches the new setup i built and painted for her)...

Sorry for asking such a general question, but if you had to go out and buy a cable modem, wireless router, and NIC card, and had to choose one company for all the products, which would you choose?

Netgear definitely wins the 'pretty' competition...

I buy Netgear for other reasons... I was a huge Bay Networks fan (odd, no?) so I sort of stick with my roots. I've used both types of routers and they were essentially the same... Exact same type of easy setup.. plug it in and you are up. Go with Netgear though, if you buy additonal switches or hubs they look cooler stacked up than the blocky linksys ^_^.

Linksys will be better for your wireless network. It has won more awards and has been called the "easiest to set up and use" in many reviews. I have used both and still do but I liked the Linksys software better and the netgear hardware looks / feels cheaper

I have had some terrible reliability issues with linksys routers. Of the 2 I have owned, and 2 I have installed, 3 have died within a year. I would go with netgear for the wireless.

This is very similar to the Intel versus AMD thing..........

I have a Linksys router I bought 2 years ago and had zero problems. If your biggest concern is looks then I would go with what you like to look at. I have read several reviews on wireless products and Linksys is doing very well it seems. Try doing a google search for wireless networks and see what peeks your interest.

My Linksys AP and WiFi router are both still up and the AP has been up for about 1 1/2 years and the router about 9 months I did toast a Linksys USB WiFi adapter when doing a firmware upgrade (it was the old one with out an antenna) but I also bought it used at the same time I got my AP and could have returned it to Linksys if I hadn't ripped it apart

I have both Linksys and Netrgear routers for my cable. I like them both very well. The Netgear is a lil cheaper but its solid as a rock. I have been less than happy with the performance of the Linksys wireless systems. They seem to be very suceptable to radio interference. As far as looks to me the Netgear looks very square and plain. Thats a plus though for ease of reading the front panel indicators. I used to have an old Bay Networks ISDN(still do but its moth balled) System. It worked well for what it was. I have had no reliablility issues with either. Save a few bucks and buy the Netgear.

Just My 2 cents

i like linksys,, much better web setup than netgear,, telneting to netgear works great,, but there web sucks

I got a netgear an my biggest rant is when my network resets and the power goes out the stupid MR814 router cant establish a connectiong with the cable modem. I have to power down the modem for a minute, boot it up again, pull and replace the power on my router in order to get it to work again. Major pain in the @SS, im not sure if linksys has the same issues but i wouldent be surprised.

been using netgear hubs for years with not a single problem, i'm now running 2 netgear wireless routers. so far its been apretty good experience. the manual that comes with the router could be a bit more informative about some of the routers functions but it was a breeze to setup.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with linksys routers. my freind used to call me at least once a week because their router dropped all the connections and had to be reset daily. this was a wired router not wireless though.

I just actually got to compare their wireless routers recently, though not through choice...

My girlfriend needed a wireless router for her new laptop, and the Linksys model was on sale (pretty much the same as the one above, but with 802.11b) -- plus it's Linksys, which is an actual name-brand component. So I bought it. Didn't work. Turns out they don't play nice with older cable modems (apparently some cable modems don't follow the DHCP protocol closely enough). So that went back.

I replaced it with the Netgear (the MR812, which I'm 90% sure is identical except with 802.11b). Setup was easier (Netgear's web browser interface is much better), and it worked with her cable modem without a hitch. However, the 802.11b is a bit flaky with the Centrino wireless card trying to interface to it -- but it works well enough, and the wired part is flawless.

However, when I needed a router for my apartment, I went with the Linksys, and it works fine (I have a brand new Motorola SB5100 cable modem). I've had a lot of positive experiences with Linksys equipment over the years, and other people at my office told me it would work with the VPN software I have to use to work from home (I didn't want to be returning things *again*). Frankly, I think either one is fine for home networking -- you're not going to be pushing its performance anywhere near the limits.

Back