• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried CPU or MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buki8

Registered
Hi, I recently bought the Abit IC7-G with a 2.4C from Newegg.com.

It worked fine for a month, but I was annoyed by the NB fan, so I bought the zalman chipset to go with my zalman 7000 AlCu HSF.

The week after I swapped it, I come home one day and find the power on, but no video display. I check out the insides and found a fan wire was caught in the CPU heatsink which caused the fan to stop moving. Later I also found the zalman chipset heatsink I had on the NB had popped off too.

My system now turns on, but I get no post, no video, not even beeping from the motherboard. The fans spin, the HD is whirring, and the CD drive light is on, so I figured something must be fried. The NB heatsink now gets burning hot when I touch it, but the CPU HSF does not feel warm at all. Unfortunately I don't have a second rig to troubleshoot. Any suggestions? I'd like a little more info before I go out and try to replace either.

Thanks

If the cpu is good you would that least get post beeps

not necessarily, it could be either. i have a system with a bad mobo and goog cpu and it doesn't beep.

I would contact abit (there is a place on their website) and tell them about the problem and also contact intel and see what they say too, but don't just contact one, contact both. intel has a phone number you can call (they are open until 5pm western time). with abit, you tell the problem and syptoms on their site and in a day or two they send you an e-mail back with hopefully a resolution or telling you to send your mobo back and they'll send you another.

good luck

I suspect that it's the CPU... I had an AMD CPU die because of heat (badly secured heatsink), and it exhibited those exact symptoms. A failure of the CPU fan to spin would almost certainly fry a recent AMD CPU; Intel CPUs are supposed to have heat protection technology, though, so you may want to wonder why yours failed. Were you overclocking? If not, you might even get a warranty replacement for your P4, if its thermal control thingy didn't work...

on amd it's cpu, on P4, its motherboard reason because i think P4 CPU will stop working if its overheating. AMD cpu will not stop even if its overheating.

Thanks for all the help guys, contacting Abit and Intel now, will post a follow up later

Back