• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tualatin Installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yann

Registered
Just a little stupid question. Installing a Tualatin processor onto a FCPGA board,does the processor get damage in the process?
I am sure that the processor does get warm after doing this,in otherword it must be ok???

Yann said:
Just a little stupid question. Installing a Tualatin processor onto a FCPGA board,does the processor get damage in the process?
I am sure that the processor does get warm after doing this,in otherword it must be ok???

If you are using either a FCPGA to FCPGA2 adapter OR doing the 3 pin plus bridge trick (see post number 7 on this sticky thread ) with stock voltage, the chip should be fine. If you are trying to run a Celeron Tualitin at 133Mhz Front side buss by insulating the BSEL1 pin, you most likely will need to increase the voltage to the chip. This can shorten the lifespan of the chip, down to less than a second if the voltage gets outrageous (i.e. 1.85 volts or higher core). the lower the voltage, the longer the life of the chip.

If you get intermittent errors, it is a good sign the chip is too warm.

I hope I was of some help.

Melf the Elf

Re: Re: Tualatin Installation

Melf the Elf said:

If you are using either a FCPGA to FCPGA2 adapter OR doing the 3 pin plus bridge trick (see post number 7 on this sticky thread ) with stock voltage, the chip should be fine. If you are trying to run a Celeron Tualitin at 133Mhz Front side buss by insulating the BSEL1 pin, you most likely will need to increase the voltage to the chip. This can shorten the lifespan of the chip, down to less than a second if the voltage gets outrageous (i.e. 1.85 volts or higher core). the lower the voltage, the longer the life of the chip.

If you get intermittent errors, it is a good sign the chip is too warm.

I hope I was of some help.

Melf the Elf

Thanks for the tips on how to get a Tualatin working on a FCPGA. But what i did is that i installed a FCPGA2 processor onto a FCPGA board coz i didn't know that it was Tualatin. So i am going back to return the stuff but i wanted to know whether this installation could have kill the processor.Hopefully not.

Chip should be fine

If your motherboard was a FCPGA, then no, the chip wasn't damaged. Intel actually released a BIOS version for it's D815EEA motherboard that could read a tualitin (version 11, does anyone know where to get version 10?) and would post a message stating that that chip was not allowed.

Self-righteous Kniggits! Almost enough to make one buy AMD...

If it was a Push Pin Grid Array (PPGA) socket 370 then there is a chance that over 2 volts was applied to the chip, and thus it was fried. What type of Motherboard do you have?

Melf

Re: Chip should be fine

Melf the Elf said:
If your motherboard was a FCPGA, then no, the chip wasn't damaged. Intel actually released a BIOS version for it's D815EEA motherboard that could read a tualitin (version 11, does anyone know where to get version 10?) and would post a message stating that that chip was not allowed.

Self-righteous Kniggits! Almost enough to make one buy AMD...

If it was a Push Pin Grid Array (PPGA) socket 370 then there is a chance that over 2 volts was applied to the chip, and thus it was fried. What type of Motherboard do you have?

Melf

I have an ABIT VH6 mobo. it is not PPGA i think but it supports voltage up to 2 volts e.g my current celeron eat that much

Back